Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Oct 2015 (Monday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What can I shoot?

SauvignonBlanc
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2015

Oct 26, 2015 15:44 |  #1

So I have a Canon 6D, the 50mm 1.4 lens, and the 28mm 1.8 lens. I usually prefer shooting pictures of my friends (so somewhat like portraits), but they're busy a lot of the time and it's easier to find time for me to walk around alone with my camera. However, then I don't have a subject and I don't really know what to shoot (though I'm always itching to).

I'm not sure how much I want to do landscape-esque photography (since it doesn't interest me as much and I think my lens collection of two lens might be limiting), but I wouldn't mind some suggestions on what I can do alone when I have a good two hours to spare to walk around a suburb/city/university​/river area.

So, would anyone have any suggestions on what I can try? I hear practice makes people better and I'm pretty sad that I get stuck on what I can practice before I even go out. ):

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 26, 2015 15:51 |  #2

What other hobbies and interests do you have? Random 'street photography' is a fairly popular subject, just going out around where you live and finding things to photograph.

Personally I find that deciding what to photograph is often a challenge, and is part of why I'm draw into sports and wildlife photography. Currently lacking access to a private studio also kind of directs and limits what I can do that actually interests me, but I'm slowly working towards getting gear to kit out a studio space once I can find one I like.

Macro photography may be another option to explore by adding a set of extension tubes for fairly cheap.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,472 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 26, 2015 16:10 |  #3

I originally picked up my first DSLR because I had an interest in shooting cars. I found that I just don't have a knack for automotive photography.

However, a few years ago I took the camera to a little local burlesque show, I found that I'm pretty good at shooting stage performances, one thing led to another, and now I'm the official photographer for three different burlesque troupes.

Moral: The only way to find out, is by shooting a lot of different things. Shoot what you see, shoot what you like, shoot things that are way out of your usual comfort zone to get better.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,245 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 26, 2015 16:12 |  #4

Enroll in a photography course at your local college. You'll get assignments and learn a great deal. Also, there are Threads here that you can participate in for "assignments". Just let your creativity out.

flickr (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,697 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 26, 2015 17:35 |  #5

The holidays are upon us...lots of special events taking place...parades, exhibits, haunted houses, Christmas decorations, etc.

Check your local paper for events.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 26, 2015 21:43 |  #6

SauvignonBlanc wrote in post #17761123 (external link)
I wouldn't mind some suggestions on what I can do alone when I have a good two hours to spare to walk around a suburb/city/university​/river area.

You said it yourself right here. If you go walking around the suburbs, city, river.... Just bring your camera and choose a lens then see what you want to shoot. Start imagining the area and things around you as if you are looking through the camera. See what you think would make a great photograph and take pictures. If you are really bored and it is a rainy day, get something you have laying around the house and a couple lamps and play with different lighting effects. Lamp close, lamp far, two lamps..... Maybe use a vase of flowers for the subject. There is always something to photograph, you just need to find it. I've gone on hikes only to take my camera out at the end to caputre the achievement, but not the whole trail. At that point I always think "why did I lug my camera up when I didn't use it...?" Sometimes you see something you really want a picture of, sometimes you don't.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 26, 2015 22:25 |  #7

I find this interesting. I note that you've hinted at both your preference as well as your dislike. Your camera and lenses are appropriate for general purpose, portrait, and street. Don't feel like you have to force it. I go out sometimes and never take a shot. I prefer shooting people mostly for its randomness, and I draw attention to that only because you mentioned that you enjoy shooting images of your friends.

I suggest you take your camera along with you anytime it is feasible. Street photography is a terrific subject. It's constantly moving and unpredictable. It will test your ability to compose and focus on the fly. You can scout out an ideal location and wait for life and movement to enter the frame or you can follow it in a more ad hoc manner. Some people find that too confrontational, and that's fine.

Alternatively, urban fragments are a good subject. Looking at the little bits of the world around you, giving prominence to the otherwise ordinary. I think someone earlier suggested shooting some live music. That's life and emotion unfolding before you that's free to shoot.

Another thought is to participate in the forum challenges here where you pursue specific objectives. You could challenge yourself to shoot a single photo per day. There are people that endeavor to shoot portraits of strangers--you just approach them, explain your predicament (sickness, whatever) and ask them to participate. Just keep at it. You'll find something that speaks to you or you move on. Just have a look around the forums here for inspiration. Good luck.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

AceCo55
261 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 27, 2015 03:34 |  #8

Have a look through the archives of this website
When I need some inspiration, I look through these.

http://www.dpchallenge​.com/ (external link)

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 27, 2015 06:52 |  #9

IMHO...there is no better site for inspiration than https://1x.com/ (external link)
Buying more gear is generally a cop-out unless there is truly a "need" for a specific subject matter...like macro lenses.

Taking a lot of pictures is great for learning how to use your gear...exposure/shutte​r speed/ISO/f-stop,
that LV histogram is a god-send...learn how to use it.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic (external link) is a visual treatise on vision in imagery and learning how to create mages.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 27, 2015 07:45 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Luckless wrote in post #17761132 (external link)
What other hobbies and interests do you have? Random 'street photography' is a fairly popular subject, just going out around where you live and finding things to photograph.

Personally I find that deciding what to photograph is often a challenge, and is part of why I'm draw into sports and wildlife photography. Currently lacking access to a private studio also kind of directs and limits what I can do that actually interests me, but I'm slowly working towards getting gear to kit out a studio space once I can find one I like.

Macro photography may be another option to explore by adding a set of extension tubes for fairly cheap.

For street photography, I wouldn't dare go anywhere near where I live, in case someone takes offence to them being photographed and recognises you in the street or realise where you live............

Not that I haven't done such things nearby, just a personal preference

OK, OP, the world is your oyster.............cho​ose, choose, choose, but whatever you do, don't go and choose everything under the sun (or above it, if you like astrophotography).....​...it will just clutter up your hard-drives with.....erm, photos that may never see the light of day on your portfolio

If you like portraits, maybe choose fashion, music (as there is a need for music portraits) or something different like sports

windpig
Chopped liver
14,677 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 27, 2015 07:50 |  #11

nathancarter wrote in post #17761163 (external link)
now I'm the official photographer for three different burlesque troupes.

Uh, do you need any help?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,002 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 27, 2015 07:58 |  #12

Everyone has made good points but you need to benself inspired. We can suggest a zillion things for you to short, but if they don't inspire you then its a pointless exercise. This is where you have to push through the limitations you place on yourself and just go explore with your camera and inspire yourself. There is always something to shoot.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by BlakeC. (2 edits in all)

Oct 27, 2015 08:02 |  #13

Think of photos that you have seen before that you like. Something that makes you feel something when you look at it. Use that for inspiration.

Just go out and shoot whatever catches your eye. Whatever you shoot, do it from a perspective you are not used to shooting it from. Maybe an extreme low or high angle. Or maybe it is an extreme close up or extremely wide. Play with depth of field and get some great bokeh going!

Just take photos. PERIOD. You may not like em all but at least you will know. You may not know that you like something until you see it in a photo from a different perspective. BUT, you will never know if you don't take any photos.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 27, 2015 08:07 |  #14

Another good option to help focus on exploring photography is to do a formal study on various aspects of photography, and then work on exercising those concepts. The 'low hanging fruit' for new photographers tend to be rule of thirds, leading lines, and subject framing. Things like negative space and higher mathematical abstraction are also interesting, but a little harder to work well with. (I love negative space images, but have never taken one myself which I'm remotely happy with.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 27, 2015 13:54 |  #15

When walking around with no particular object in mind, I've often been successful when I move in closer and eliminate as much clutter as possible in a photo. It doesn't really show up on the camera, but when I get home and download the photo, I've been very pleasantly surprised by some of the results that show up on my computer. Not talking about macro shots, just eliminating clutter and excessive background.
For a long time, I worked with only a 50mm lens and that was back in film days. A lot of times now I slap my 50mm f/1.8 STM lens on my 5D MkIII and leave the rest at home.
Don't buy new equipment until you identify a particular need for it. Been there, done that, and wasted a lot of money on excellent equipment that I no longer own because I really had no use for it.

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

sponsored links

2,650 views & 1 like for this thread
What can I shoot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.