Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 28, 2015 17:33 |  #6781

Just received my 7D2 today. After setting up all the menu and functions, operationally it is about 95% of my 1DX... if not more. Definitely it's the cream of the Crop. I love how I can set BBF AF to either use AI-Servo or One-Shot without changing the settings (same as 1DX). LOVE IT!!!

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 28, 2015 18:18 |  #6782

Had mine almost a year, from the early days when I was feeling the same as you are right now!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 28, 2015 19:52 |  #6783

From the lurking depths I emerge. Just been busy with life.

Just got back from the house of mouse, just carried the 7D2 and the 18-135 STM, what a versatile lens. I wasn't wanting for much else during the trip.

Finally looked on Canon's website for new firmware...and was really surprised that there was an update...and even more shocked that it addresses AF issues with the 17-55. I have had nothing but challenges with that lens on the 7D2, I would dial in MFA and it would still be inconsistent. Now I know that I wasn't crazy!! I need to test it out but I hope that makes my 17-55 reliable and sharp again. Dunno why I didn't check before we left but it wouldn't have changed my lens choice.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

javapop
742 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 28, 2015 21:41 as a reply to  @ EmaginePixel's post |  #6784

I can set BBF AF to either use AI-Servo or One-Shot without changing the settings

HOW do you do this? That sounds very useful. I came from a 6D. Thanks!

Sony A7r2|24-70 f/4 FE|85 1.8 FE|28 f/2 FE|Venus Laowa 15mm f/2|Habakkuk 2:2 (external link)|
instagram (external link)David.Stembridge.us (external link)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,833 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 28, 2015 21:48 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #6785

my daughter works there

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,221 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 29, 2015 00:02 |  #6786

Keyan wrote in post #17763850 (external link)
...and was really surprised that there was an update...and even more shocked that it addresses AF issues with the 17-55. I have had nothing but challenges with that lens on the 7D2, I would dial in MFA and it would still be inconsistent. Now I know that I wasn't crazy!! I need to test it out but I hope that makes my 17-55 reliable and sharp again.

Please let us know your findings with this lens after you have had a chance to do the firmware update. My results are here (post #203), not much change.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 29, 2015 09:11 as a reply to  @ javapop's post |  #6787

Here's the instruction. I assign 'AF-ON' to One-shot and '*' to AI-Servo.

1. Go to Custom Controls C.Fn3, change Shutter button half press to Metering start.
2. AF-ON button to Metering and AF Start
3. Stay on the screen and hit 'INFO' (detail set.)
4. in Detail set, set AF operation to 'ONE SHOT'
5. Menu button back out to Custom Controls and Select '*' AE lock button
6. * AE Lock button set to Metering and AF Start
7. Stay on the screen and hit 'INFO' (detail set.)
8. in Detail set, set AF operation to 'AI SERVO'

Good luck! As far as i know. Only 2 cameras on the market can do this.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 29, 2015 09:42 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #6788

Updated it yesterday and just put the 17-55 on it this morning, I'll give it a whirl. Hopefully it's better...but who knows.

Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 29, 2015 09:45 |  #6789

EmaginePixel wrote in post #17764338 (external link)

1. Go to Custom Controls C.Fn3, change Shutter button half press to Metering start.

Awesome. This camera is ridiculously customizable. I wish Canon had an option to export the controls setting to a file on the flash card, then you could recover from a factory reset or body replacement (or addition for people who have multiple) easily - and we could exchange settings files :)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 29, 2015 09:48 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #6790

Well... actually, only the 1DX has this feature. You can export all setting onto CF card and sync to other cameras.

javapop
742 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 29, 2015 10:47 |  #6791

Keyan wrote in post #17764378 (external link)
Awesome. This camera is ridiculously customizable. I wish Canon had an option to export the controls setting to a file on the flash card, then you could recover from a factory reset or body replacement (or addition for people who have multiple) easily - and we could exchange settings files :)

Thats the one feature that has been very useful on our 2 XHA1S HDV cameras. I would like to see it on more DSLRs as well!

Sony A7r2|24-70 f/4 FE|85 1.8 FE|28 f/2 FE|Venus Laowa 15mm f/2|Habakkuk 2:2 (external link)|

javapop
742 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 29, 2015 10:47 |  #6792

Thank you very much, what is the second camera that does this? Guessing the 1Dx.

javapop
742 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 29, 2015 11:32 |  #6793

Here's the instruction. I assign 'AF-ON' to One-shot and '*' to AI-Servo...

Okay, that worked! I think I am going to reverse the AF ON and * though... I use one shot occasionally on the sidelines, but mainly using AI servo for the field action, well on football. I have used the shutter button primarily for focus in the past, so this makes it tricky... I see the benefits though! Thanks again!

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by wallstreetoneil. (3 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2015 12:18 |  #6794

javapop wrote in post #17764479 (external link)
Okay, that worked! I think I am going to reverse the AF ON and * though... I use one shot occasionally on the sidelines, but mainly using AI servo for the field action, well on football. I have used the shutter button primarily for focus in the past, so this makes it tricky... I see the benefits though! Thanks again!

The other thing you can do is set up both buttons for AI Servo but set them up differently

AF-ON
- AI Servo Case 2 (single player / single bird is your target)
- Focus Point - use current (this allows it not to be hard coded)

- AI Servo Case 6 (crazy stuff is about to happen and lots of potential targets)
- Focus Point Manual Zone or Large Zone

Also, change the DoF button to AF Func
- choose 65pt AF
- First Shot to Equal
- Second shot to speed

^^^ last part further expands the camera as you can now bring all 65pts into action and further tweak the AF to be even more sensitive / or less and then up the speed by telling the camera to concentrate more on speed than focus when mayhem is happening (end of game Hail Mary endzone catch)

If you then leave the Camera in One Shot, you will get the benefit of more accurate Evaluative Metering as the active AF point will get higher emphasis - but this is only true if you are taking the picture while NOT holding the BBF as it will revert to AI Servo's version of Evaluative Metering which places slightly less emphasis on the active AF point (none of this really matters but in special cases it might) as we are talking about small changes - but if the light is changing quickly on your target but the overall light isn't, One Shot Evaluative Metering is more accurate for the 'target' than AI Servo Evaluative Metering which doesn't provide as much weight to the active AF point.

The above is how I have set up my 7D2 - on my 5D3 and 5DSR I have AF-On as ONE Shot and * as Servo - and also the DoF button setup as described above. When you use the camera in One Shot mode, let's say with Center Point only, but then press the DoF button, you get and instant 65point AF that works perfectly in many cases to avoid focus and recompose - it is much faster.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 29, 2015 12:58 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #6795

good info... I may give it a try.

sponsored links

7,690,917 views & 96,223 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.