Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Oct 2015 (Monday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-70 2.8 sharpness

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 26, 2015 14:49 |  #1

I have had this lens for about 4 years and the problem has been here since day 1. Shooting close of just one or two people images are sharp. However when backing up for about 15 feet or more the images become not sharp at all. The further back the blurrier and I focus on someone in the front row. Like in this image, the back wall is more in focus which makes me think the further back I get the more the middle focusing point is changing to focus on the back, is that possible? as on this one, I focused on the brides face. I took 3 pictures focusing on #1 bride, #2 groom and #3 woman in the back to the bride's left shoulder and all 3 have the very same result and I did use a tripod. Should I try to focus on a bigger body part like the torso the further back I go? I shot this with a Canon T5I and it doesn't have AF focus adjustment. Before then I shot with a 50D with it and did the adjustment but with negligible results.

Any one got any solutions? Can't really afford to send it to Canon but I'll get the money some way if I have to if it will do any good.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 29, 2015 15:02 |  #2

I guess no one has this problem or any suggestions.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 29, 2015 15:19 |  #3

Honestly the image as hosted by the forum is so small that I can't see the issues. The following might help:

Post a full-size image somewhere else like Flickr and put a link here.

If you're shooting Raw, post the original OOC image so that the EXIF data including focus point is accessible.

Were you shooting single point, zone, or ?

It's possible that the focus point locked on the wrong subject, but we can't tell without knowing where the camera thought it was focusing. It's also possible that focus offset is severe enough that the camera is back-focusing, but without the focus point info that is just speculation. At f/4.5 you've got just enough DOF to cover the group, but only if the focus point is in the right place.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Chet.

Oct 29, 2015 15:30 |  #4

So you used a single focus point and focused on the bride? Did you focus and recompose? Do you use the custom function to allow you to focus with the * button on the back allowing you to fix your focus and using the shutter button for shooting the picture/

Also agree that the image is rather small to get any idea of where the focus hit.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 29, 2015 17:00 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #5

Yes single focus point. Did not focus and recompose, I always compose first. Yes on custom to use * for back button focusing. Also tried shutter button, same result. I tried to upload a bigger pic but this system will not let me.

Also I tried zooming in to 70mm and focusing, zooming back out to 24mm, no change. Even at 70mm if I am about 15 or more feet away, it does no good.

https://www.dropbox.co​m …8lxkrs6/IMG_011​8.CR2?dl=0 (external link)

This link should work.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 29, 2015 17:31 |  #6

GregDunn wrote in post #17764727 (external link)
Honestly the image as hosted by the forum is so small that I can't see the issues. The following might help:

Post a full-size image somewhere else like Flickr and put a link here.

If you're shooting Raw, post the original OOC image so that the EXIF data including focus point is accessible.

Were you shooting single point, zone, or ?

It's possible that the focus point locked on the wrong subject, but we can't tell without knowing where the camera thought it was focusing. It's also possible that focus offset is severe enough that the camera is back-focusing, but without the focus point info that is just speculation. At f/4.5 you've got just enough DOF to cover the group, but only if the focus point is in the right place.

Even though I focused on the bride in the front row the back row is in focus better. I tried on a tree trunk while ago with worse results. I was about 20 ft away shooting at 70mm and it is pretty fuzzy, went out to 24mm and the entire thing is fuzzy.

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 30, 2015 11:21 |  #7

At 24mm and f4.5, it should have enough DOF to cover the whole group in the picture. It could be that the lens is out of spec of some sort.

Is it consistently blurry even outside in good light too? Try to play with Micro Adjustment to see if it helps, if not, it may need a trip to Canon.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 30, 2015 18:56 as a reply to  @ sonnyc's post |  #8

Yes, it is so consistent I can rely on it to be fuzzy in bright light as well. No matter what the light - 24mm is the worse. My camera doesn't have a micro adjustment. I used to have a 50D and tried the micro adjustment on it and that did not help. I just sent it off today to Canon. From what I've read, that usually does no good - either Canon says there is nothing wrong with it or whatever the person pays for doesn't get fixed even though Canon collected the money. So we'll see.

If they do not fix it or say they do and it doesn't work like it should, it is going on ebay and I'm going prime. And not canon prime either.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2015 17:22 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #9

Canon sent me the estimate. $299.98 and should take 5 to 7 business days. They said that the lens has a 6 month warranty now. If it isn't fixed or goes Rogue again in that time it is going back without hesitation.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,722 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 04, 2015 05:25 |  #10

Not a bad outcome so far. After reading a Lensrental teardown of this lens I wouldn't be surprised if it was just wear and tear that was causing your problems. Hopefully it returns in top shape

Gear List

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 11, 2015 14:07 as a reply to  @ smythie's post |  #11

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Not fixed, just got it back today. This is a 100% crop from 24ft away. ISO 400 1/80 at f/8.0 Should I send it back again or just sell the thing.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Chet.

Nov 11, 2015 14:15 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #12

Really stupid question, the mf/af switch is on af, correct? And you've tried on both of your bodies?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 11, 2015 14:31 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #13

Not stupid. Yep it is on AF. The closer I get to a subject the more in focus and clear it gets. I tried it on 3 bodies. Canon is sending me a return shipping label so they can try it again (sigh).

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx.

Nov 11, 2015 15:10 |  #14

quick test for you k?

mount on tripod and MANUALLY focus using live view 10x mag. then take the shot and report.

if it's still soft your lens is physically out of whack. if it's good, then either you need to microadjust or you are just not using AF correctly.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 11, 2015 16:22 as a reply to  @ Xyclopx's post |  #15

Humm..well, I tried it on two of the same bodies, one was a little better than the other but nothing to brag about. Neither of them was as bad as the examples I posted. I went outside and took the same picture with both T5i's and one was as fuzzy as the one posted and the other was clearer and not as bad. So getting mixed results. I tried back button focusing and shutter focusing - One shot focusing mode. Focusing on the same subject, same eye, same exposure and yet one is better than the other. Could it now be a camera thing. The T5i's do not have micro adjustment. Canon's paperwork said they replaced 3 internal collars.

sponsored links

4,400 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-70 2.8 sharpness
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.