Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Oct 2015 (Wednesday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105 Lens Error code. Canada Repair?

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 28, 2015 09:51 |  #1

My 24-105 has started to consistently show an error code (can't remember which one). All my other lenses work fine so I'm assuming it's a problem with the lens.

I took a look online at Canon CPS for Canada services which shows different levels of service. It's $100 a year which gets 20% off repairs and free shipping. The quote for one lens repair is about $260.

The single lens repair still seems to be the better deal since 20% off of $260 PLUS free shipping is less the annual $100 annual fee.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something and if someone can speak to their experience with Canada repair services. I live in Vancouver.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by sapearl.

Oct 28, 2015 10:11 |  #2

Hi Sun - sorry to hear about the error code. By any chance is it code 01?

I have a 9 year old 24-105 which I love and pretty much stays on my 5D3. About three years ago I got Error Code 01 and also noticed that the exposures were "hanging up" when I used anything smaller than about f/8. At that point the lens had likely been used in about 75,000+ exposures. The Error code I believe translates to a general communication error between lens and body.

I took it to the local authorized Canon repair shop here in Cleveland, Ohio. Turns out it was an aperture actuator board/gizmo that was dying and the aperture blades were binding or some such. They fixed it in about a week for $350. This does not really address your original question - sorry I can't do better - but it may provide some insight into the error code. Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you. ;-)a

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 28, 2015 10:42 |  #3

Canon's Canadian repair operations have been hit and miss since they centralized. On average far worse for me on the East Coast. I'm assuming the repair cost quoted was pulled off the web site. The final cost can differ from that estimate. I've looked for alternatives and a fellow member here recommended Sun Camera Service. I've had better results with them than Canon so far.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Oct 29, 2015 01:42 |  #4

Same thing here!
10 year old lens having some issues.
Hoping for a 24-105 MKII pretty soon cause I'm not letting it fixed.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 29, 2015 06:27 |  #5

Lenty007 wrote in post #17764093 (external link)
Same thing here!
10 year old lens having some issues.
Hoping for a 24-105 MKII pretty soon cause I'm not letting it fixed.

Are you getting error code 01?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

Lenty007
221 posts
Joined May 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lenty007.

Oct 30, 2015 02:22 |  #6

YES!!!
I'm having exact the same thing as you descibed (aswell as with the MKIII as with the MKII).
Since I'm not going to repair the lens my thought went to replace it with the 24-105STM.
After doing some search and after summing up the pros and cons I'm going all the way for the 24-70f/2.8II

(It will fit the gap between the 16-35f/4 and the 85f/1.2 :) )

Good luck

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 30, 2015 05:07 as a reply to  @ Lenty007's post |  #7

Have you tried cleaning the camera and lens contacts where they meet to communicate with each other? Perhaps some light corrosion or dirt is preventing 100% continuity.

GEAR LIST

Lenty007
221 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 30, 2015 06:16 |  #8

That was the first thing I did but no change.
When the same thing happened with the other camera and ONLY with this lens it became clear that it was something from the inside.
I just hate leaving a camera/lens to the vendor because of the time it takes and the (extra) cost to repair.
Where I live I heard stories from people who lost their gear (body+lens) for months in repair and it came back half repaired with dust on the mirror.
No thanks for me, I'll pass for that and when a good element (in this case the fine lens) is malfunctioning I'll replace it all together.

Lenty007
221 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 30, 2015 06:20 |  #9

Oh, I'm sorry Sapearl, I presume you were refering to the original poster heh?!

My bad!

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 30, 2015 06:38 |  #10

Lenty007 wrote in post #17765483 (external link)
Oh, I'm sorry Sapearl, I presume you were refering to the original poster heh?!

My bad!

Np ;-)a

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,706 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105 Lens Error code. Canada Repair?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.