Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Oct 2015 (Friday) 18:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Nikon lens vs Tamron lens, cc

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by atsilverstein.

Oct 30, 2015 18:04 |  #1

This isn't a fair comparison because I didn't use these in the same scenario, but ever since I got my Tamron 300mm zoom lens I thought the Tamron outperformed my Nikon kit lens. I originally got it to use for zoo trips, which it's great at, but I'm now realizing most of the photos I take are more like portraiture, mainly my daughter and my dog. So I used the Tamron yesterday and the Nikon today, and I'd like some feedback from you all, since you guys have helped me tremendously since I started.

I can see where I went wrong with the Tamron I think, maybe the external flash and not as late in the day would've given me better images. The main problem is that I have to be so far away from my daughter that she looses connection with me, and goes willy-nilly (she is 2).

I did use the external flash with the Nikon, but still..

Lastly, can anyone recommend a more appropriate lens for what I'm looking for? I think that would help :D

Tamron:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 30, 2015 18:08 |  #2

I am too far away to engage her and she goes off and does her own thing..

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 30, 2015 18:14 |  #3

Nikon kit.

I can be much closer to her so it's easier to keep her attention, but I'd like to produce better images.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

- William Ernest Henley

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 31, 2015 06:16 |  #4

Maybe it's just me but I can't imagine shooting portraits with a fixed 300mm.......for the very reason you state.

I use my 24-105 or the 70-200 2.8. With the 24-105 I'm usually above 50 and the 70-200 I'm usually below 200.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 31, 2015 08:18 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #5

It's a 70-300 zoom lens. I only have that or the 18-55 as of now, and I've been using the Tamron over the Nikon because I like the results more. Looks like I'll be needing to add another lens. Thanks for the suggestions :-)

- William Ernest Henley

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 31, 2015 09:57 |  #6

The only way to check lens quality is to refer to the "MTF tables" for the particular lenses in question.
Also, watch the reviews on https://www.youtube.co​m …y=tamron+70-300mm+reviews (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2015 13:41 |  #7

atsilverstein wrote in post #17766701 (external link)
It's a 70-300 zoom lens. I only have that or the 18-55 as of now, and I've been using the Tamron over the Nikon because I like the results more. Looks like I'll be needing to add another lens. Thanks for the suggestions :-)

Your 70-300 Tamron will give you better results over your kit lens for a couple of reasons:
1. Your Nikon is a kit lens and while they will get you started, they are not normally known for producing the best images.
2. Your Tamron has a longer focal length and can compress the scene better than your Nikon, especially when you're shooting the Nikon at the shorter focal lengths (28mm). Normally, you'll appreciate the longer focal lengths available on your Tamron for portraits.

While shooting at 28mm will give you closer proximity to your child (subject), it also comes at a price. Even after adjusting for the crop sensor, you're still shooting at less than 50mm which can introduce distortion. When you're ready to buy your next lens, you'll also want to consider a faster lens (one with a wider aperture) to allow you to blur your backgrounds. You didn't mention your budget, so it would be difficult to suggest which lens would be better for you, but you have a few options. If you just want to replace your kit lens, there are some 3rd party lenses available with a fixed f/2.8 aperture that would give better results than your kit lens and are available for less than $500. You could also consider a prime lens like a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 that would be less than $300 if you wanted to experiment with very shallow DOF. Even if you decide to add another zoom lens later, it's always nice to have a fast 50mm prime. On your crop camera, this would be similar to shooting with a 75mm lens on a full frame camera, which is a nice focal length for portraits. Your kit lens can also shoot at that focal length, but it won't match the quality of a prime.

I don't shoot Nikon, but if you'll state your budget, I'm sure you'll get some recommendations for your next lens.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 31, 2015 17:18 |  #8

Kids similar to pets tend to not stay till for long so I'd stick to a zoom lens personally although you will find higher quality for lower prices if you buy primes. Given you're on a crop body you won't need any lens longer than ~85mm otherwise you will be pretty far from her and will have the trouble of engaging her as you mentioned.

Try to find something with a nice wide aperture too, this will help isolate your daughter from the background and really make her the subject of the photo. Look for something less than f4, ideally f2.8 or lower if you can afford it. You'll be paying over $1000 for a Nikkor f2.8 lens though so it depends on your budget.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 31, 2015 17:51 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #9

Thanks for your comment. My budget would be under $500.

- William Ernest Henley

bob_r
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2015 20:55 |  #10

I think for your price range and the requirement that you stay close to your child, your best choice would probably be a Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM OS. A new one is currently listed at Amazon for $469, although they do have some used and refurbished units available for less. This lens is supposed to be very sharp and it does have a constant f/2.8 aperture available throughout it's focal range. This is a very nice option to have when shooting portraits. It can be useful for low light situations too, but higher ISO settings are not such an issue in newer DSLRs today. Here's a review by Photozone.de if case you're interested: http://www.photozone.d​e …s-tests/838-sigma175028os (external link)

Another Sigma offering that would fall in your price range and even less than the 17-55 is the 17-70. It's a newer lens and one of their "contemporary" models and is supposed to be a nice lens for the price ($399 for a new one at Amazon). It doesn't have an f/2.8 aperture available throughout it's range, but does have a fairly wide aperture of f/4 for the longer focal lengths. Personally, I'd prefer the 17-50 for the f/2.8, but thought I'd mention this one as an option. Photozone.de also has a review of this lens: http://www.photozone.d​e …-tests/822-sigma1770284os (external link)

I think either of these offerings would be superior to your kit lens and would be a nice addition for you. Good luck with your search.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

AD ­ Campbell
678 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 01, 2015 01:54 |  #11

Not to be rude, but are you shooting in auto? Your settings are all over the place.

www.acampbellphoto.net (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 01, 2015 07:18 as a reply to  @ AD Campbell's post |  #12

I was shooting in shutter speed mode. I have to increase ss for the Tamron because it's sensitive to camera shake since I was holding it myself. But I didn't realize the aperture was thrown way off :-\

- William Ernest Henley

bob_r
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by bob_r. (2 edits in all)

Nov 01, 2015 20:07 |  #13

atsilverstein wrote in post #17767765 (external link)
I was shooting in shutter speed mode. I have to increase ss for the Tamron because it's sensitive to camera shake since I was holding it myself. But I didn't realize the aperture was thrown way off :-\

The VC (vibration compensation) on your Tamron 70-300 is supposed to allow you to shoot with a shutter speed 4 times less than normal. If you have it turned on, you shouldn't need the fast shuttter speeds for the focal lengths you are using. In your first image, you have the shutter speed to set to 1/1000s and the focal length zoomed to 70mm. At that focal length, most people can handhold a crop camera without blurring the image with the shutter speed set to 1/125s. Tamron's VC would reduce that to less than 1/10s, but since you are shooting an active child, that shutter speed would not be appropriate. 1/250s - 1/500s should eliminate most subject movement, even for an active youngster.

I think most people prefer aperture priority rather than shutter speed priority when shooting portraits. This allows you to get the depth of field that you want/need and allows the camera to set the shutter speed. If the shutter speed seems too low, you can increase your ISO setting until it gets to a point that you feel comfortable that you can handhold your camera and not get blur at that speed. DOF is normally something you'll want to control rather than allowing your camera to make that decision for you since it can make such a difference in your images. Here's an example:

This was taken at the zoo and shot in aperture priority at the widest setting (f/2.8) for my 200mm lens. By opening the aperture, the background becomes blurred which helped separate my subject from the background and the camera set my shutter speed at 1/800s.

Since my subject wasn't moving, I could easily have shot this at 1/200s and if I had set my camera to shutter priority and used that setting, my camera would have closed my aperture down 2 stops to f/5.6 to get the same exposure (assuming I kept the ISO the same). That aperture would have increased my DOF and I wouldn't have had the same separation that I got with f/2.8.

Hope you find some of this helpful.

HOSTED PHOTO

** Image Editing OK **

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 01, 2015 21:09 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #14

Mine doesn't have VC but I'll retry using aperture mode and increasing ISO. The information is useful, thank you.

- William Ernest Henley

bob_r
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 01, 2015 22:04 |  #15

atsilverstein wrote in post #17768766 (external link)
Mine doesn't have VC but I'll retry using aperture mode and increasing ISO. The information is useful, thank you.

I thought they had discontinued the non-VC version, but see they still offer it. Sorry for the confusion.

** Image Editing OK **

sponsored links

3,284 views & 7 likes for this thread
My Nikon lens vs Tamron lens, cc
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.