Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Nov 2015 (Sunday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAWs and Jpegs

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 01, 2015 10:16 |  #1

when i first started shooting my canon dslr, i didnt understand RAWs and i didnt see much difference in editing using canons DPP software so i shot Jpegs...

listening to those who are more knowledgeable than myself convinced me to shoot RAWs and i subsequently purchased PSE10 and LR5 (now upgraded to 5.6 i think?) and i really REALLY like the ability to do what i can with these programs to post process my images and i think im getting better at getting my images right SOOC...

heres my question. i continued to shoot jpegs and RAWs because i found it easier to open the jpegs in MS photo/viewer (the default windows application) if i wanted a quick easy look through but now im at the point where i hardly EVER do anything with the Jpegs in my files....

3 questions:

how many shooters here still shoot both?

if you shoot both do you keep the jpegs for any length of time?

if you decide to delete the jpegs, is there a method of selecting them by "type of file" vs clicking every single one of them for deletion?

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,455 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 01, 2015 10:24 |  #2

Ltdave wrote in post #17767989 (external link)
when i first started shooting my canon dslr, i didnt understand RAWs and i didnt see much difference in editing using canons DPP software so i shot Jpegs...

listening to those who are more knowledgeable than myself convinced me to shoot RAWs and i subsequently purchased PSE10 and LR5 (now upgraded to 5.6 i think?) and i really REALLY like the ability to do what i can with these programs to post process my images and i think im getting better at getting my images right SOOC...

heres my question. i continued to shoot jpegs and RAWs because i found it easier to open the jpegs in MS photo/viewer (the default windows application) if i wanted a quick easy look through but now im at the point where i hardly EVER do anything with the Jpegs in my files....

3 questions:

if you decide to delete the jpegs, is there a method of selecting them by "type of file" vs clicking every single one of them for deletion?

You can filter them by Metadata and then File Type

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 01, 2015 10:37 |  #3

You should be able to sort by file type also. Click the first in the list, then Shift Click the last one and all in between will be highlighted and you can delete with one tap of the delete key.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,455 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 01, 2015 10:40 |  #4

kjonnnn wrote in post #17768018 (external link)
You should be able to sort by file type also. Click the first in the list, then Shift Click the last one and all in between will be highlighted and you can delete with one tap of the delete key.

CTRL+A is quicker

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 01, 2015 10:44 |  #5

i looked and surprised myself after all these years (maybe i just never needed the option) to sort by type, then i can select with ctrl-A...

funny, i sort all of my OTHER folders by file type (excel, word, etc)...

NOW, how many here keep their JPEGs?

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 01, 2015 10:45 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #6

I believe control plus a is select all? Its not quicker if other formats are in the list, e.g. the raws and side cars.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 01, 2015 10:47 |  #7

There is no reason to shoot jpg just to view them in MS Photoviewer. The best importing/processing/o​rganizing/viewing/expo​rting software available for digital photos is Lightroom. Lightroom can view the raws, why shoot jpgs, too?

I only shoot JPG for messing around and testing. If I am doing a shoot I know I will be processing, I shoot raw.

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 01, 2015 10:51 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #17768034 (external link)
There is no reason to shoot jpg just to view them in MS Photoviewer. The best importing/processing/o​rganizing/viewing/expo​rting software available for digital photos is Lightroom. Lightroom can view the raws, why shoot jpgs, too?

I only shoot JPG for messing around and testing. If I am doing a shoot I know I will be processing, I shoot raw.

and thats why im starting to lean away from jpegs...

i was just wondering about other shooters methods...

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,311 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 01, 2015 11:01 |  #9

i continued to shoot jpegs and RAWs because i found it easier to open the jpegs in MS photo/viewer (the default windows application) if i wanted a quick easy look through

Take a look at XNView. It's small, free (non commercial use), and fast. You can browse through, view, then right click and have the file open in your editing program of choice. A nice little app. No need for jpgs now.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 01, 2015 13:51 |  #10

I still shoot RAW + JPEG because

1. Even when the OS on a given computer doesn't recognize the RAW format for my camera, I can view the files in a directory without having to open an editor.
  2. Some of the computers I work on don't have photo-editing software that recognizes the file format either.
  3. It's quicker and easier to email someone a JPEG right off the card than to extract one from the RAW, resize it and then mail it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat.

Nov 01, 2015 14:08 |  #11

Jon wrote in post #17768253 (external link)
I still shoot RAW + JPEG because
  1. Even when the OS on a given computer doesn't recognize the RAW format for my camera, I can view the files in a directory without having to open an editor.
  2. Some of the computers I work on don't have photo-editing software that recognizes the file format either.
  3. It's quicker and easier to email someone a JPEG right off the card than to extract one from the RAW, resize it and then mail it.

I've often thought when e-mailing sample, "Why didn't I shoot this in raw+ S3(640x480?) for emailing?" I always forget about it while shooting. I just did that last night for Halloween. Get home. Download raws. Process minimally. Export. E-mail. I do it to myself regularly.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,975 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 01, 2015 15:23 |  #12

I always shoot ETTR, so there is absolutely zero point in recording a JPEG in camera. Even the embedded preview JPEG in the RAW file is completely useless. Things like ETTR which require shooting and processing RAW files make the in camera JPEG superfluous. I wish that Canon would offer in camera both True RAW and RAW+White Balance histograms, so that you can check your possible WB choices for clipping a channel. Given those choices for histograms I would not be bothered if there was then no preview image. Just fill the preview LCD with the full RGGB histograms.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 02, 2015 07:43 |  #13

When I started out I was using raw+jpeg, but moved away from that after making more use of Lightroom. I just found that having to deal with both the jpeg and the raw were annoying, and never really had a benefit. Would it be faster to quickly pull the jpeg off the card and email it? Yeah, sure, but seeing as I've done that all of twice in four years I have to say that I'm not really losing much sleep over the idea of having wasted "so much time" exporting from Lightroom.

Of course, everyone has different work flows and styles to their productivity, and you need to find what works for you. If I were shooting on really tight deadlines in decent controlled conditions with reasonably good lighting and having to move a sizeable volume at a time, then I probably wouldn't even bother shooting raw files. Since I have very lax deadlines of "I'll send that off when I get around to it because this is my hobby and I'll only do it as long as I'm enjoying it" I don't need to worry about speed and turn around time as much. And since I often shoot in really poor and unreliable lighting I've gone with shooting raw as my baseline for that little extra data to work with in post.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 02, 2015 09:35 |  #14

Ltdave wrote in post #17767989 (external link)
3 questions:

I shoot RAW 99.5% of the time. I almost never shoot a jpg and that even includes my G15.

No, ... and

No.

If you have PSE, do you really need LR? Just wondering why you think you do.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 02, 2015 10:19 |  #15

Oh, yeah - one other reason I use RAW+JPEG. I shoot a lot using DSLR Controller; it's much faster to transfer a JPEG to the Android than a RAW when I verify what I got.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

4,317 views & 9 likes for this thread
RAWs and Jpegs
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.