Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Nov 2015 (Thursday) 09:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did I get a broken 85mm 1.2L II?!

ForTheLoveOfCanon
34 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 05, 2015 09:42 |  #1

Recently bought a used but very clean copy of the Canon 85mm 1.2L II. I owned one before and am fully aware of the very smooth (almost loose) focus ring. So no surprise there when I noticed this one was loose as well. What's different, however, is that the focus ring on this has a very minor wobble along the lens barrel too. In other words, if I am rotating the ring (or simply touching it), I can pull it outward/inward & I notice it visibly wobbles ever so slightly in/out and I can hear a clicking sound almost. When pulled out I can almost slide a piece of paper between the focus ring & the body. Again, no force involved at all. Just simple rotating even during manual focus can cause the wobble/movement. The autofocus & manual focus both perform flawlessly. The lens overall works just fine.

The seller was aware of this alongside the barrel movement but didn't disclose it since he says it's a normal characteristic of this lens, which is where we don't agree as you can imagine... He's agreed for me to return the lens (minus shipping both ways which is still for me cheaper than having to deal with a faulty focus system sooner or later).

My question is: aside form the loose focus ring that wobbles while rotating, has anyone else's copy have had an issue similar to mine?

sponsored links
gqllc007
445 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Nov 05, 2015 09:47 |  #2

My 85 LII 1.2 does not do this. My focus ring easily rotates but not in and out at all...not at all

ForTheLoveOfCanon
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 05, 2015 11:25 |  #3

gqllc007 wrote in post #17773188 (external link)
My 85 LII 1.2 does not do this. My focus ring easily rotates but not in and out at all...not at all

Thank you. And I don't think it should do this, unless of course maybe (and this is pure speculation of course) the user at some point lifted the lens attached to the camera by the way of the focus ring...

Sir_Loin
550 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 05, 2015 11:56 |  #4

I've used a few 85L's and I don't think I've seen one where the focus ring doesn't have a minute bit of play between the focus ring and body. If it was snug I suspect they would rub together. My 85L II has an extremely tiny amount of play if I pull it front to back, but it's never been an issue. Perhaps you're being a little picky having dropped a load of cash on this beast of a lens (quite rightly!), but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

EOS 1D4, 5D3, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, EF 24mm f/1.4L II, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II, EF 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, EF 300mm f/4.0L IS * FL-F 300mm f/5.6 FLUORITE, FD 55mm f/1.2 ASPHERICAL, FD 50mm f/1.2L, FD 300mm f/2.8L, FD 50-300mm f/4.5L, EOS M5, M3, EF-M 11-22mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS, EF-M 22mm f/2.0, EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS

ben805
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 05, 2015 13:00 |  #5

Mine doesn't do this, but does it focus properly? is it sharp? if you don't notice any performance issues you may be able to overlook the small defect unless you're buying a new lens or paid an arm and leg for it.

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

ForTheLoveOfCanon
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 05, 2015 18:47 |  #6

Maybe this will help... You can clearly hear and somewhat see the wobble..

ForTheLoveOfCanon
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 05, 2015 19:20 |  #7

Here's one more:

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 05, 2015 19:26 |  #8

Couldn't play the video. Says it's private...

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,526 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 05, 2015 19:44 |  #9

The video worked for me. Both of them.

It is hard to see the wobble because the lens itself is wobbling as you make the ring wobble. Can you mount the lens to a camera and find some way to hold the camera body still. That would help everyone to be able to see the wobble. As it is, it doesn't sound right, but that is hard to judge by too.

Philip

ForTheLoveOfCanon
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 05, 2015 19:56 |  #10

Nogo wrote in post #17773774 (external link)
The video worked for me. Both of them.

It is hard to see the wobble because the lens itself is wobbling as you make the ring wobble. Can you mount the lens to a camera and find some way to hold the camera body still. That would help everyone to be able to see the wobble. As it is, it doesn't sound right, but that is hard to judge by too.

When mounted on the camera, it's precisely the same if not worse... Will try to get a video that way too.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 05, 2015 20:25 |  #11

Neither my 85Lv1 or II had any issue with the focus ring. I would send it back or have him pay for the repair.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 06, 2015 00:34 |  #12

My 85mm f/1.2L II does the same thing as yours. Not a back and forth motion parallel to the axis of the lens, but a very small tilting is possible, and it makes exactly the same sound as yours if I rock it back and forth. To me it seems like a normal amount of play for something made of plastic. Keep in mind that the focus ring on the 85L is not actually engaging with anything mechanical, so it's not going to have that smooth sexy feel of a manual focus lens made from precision machined aluminum with a bit of grease. I use this lens a lot manually, and I would not even have noticed the play had I not seen this thread.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links

3,399 views & 5 likes for this thread
Did I get a broken 85mm 1.2L II?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.