Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Nov 09, 2015 06:29 |  #8896

One more from this weekend, this time no milkyway but im very happy with this shot too:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 09, 2015 07:05 |  #8897

The weather has sucked lately and haven't had a chance to shoot much.

Got these really cool vintage light bulbs the other day. Macro shot using the Batis 85 and some extension tubes. Unfortunately the glass had a lot of scratches...which the light was reflecting off of.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/713/22894232405_0acc35fbe1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AT5V​EV  (external link) _DSC6196 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 09, 2015 07:07 |  #8898

davidfarina wrote in post #17777092 (external link)
Yeah, was whining about it for quite a while now :D

It made me feel really stupid having followed the milkyway picture thread here with all those nice shots that im trying to do on my own but never could make. Theres a guy from new zealand making it look so easy, was really depressing. Honestly happy now, i think next time im doing it with the A7Rii, hopefully not next year lol

Hah. Admiring a type of photo and technique and eventually getting to the skill level or having the opportunity to shoot something similar is always a huge milestone.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,287 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by digital_AM.

Nov 09, 2015 07:09 |  #8899

2 years 5 months

FE 55

IMAGE: https://alfredomora.smugmug.com/photos/i-CdGm4mb/0/X2/i-CdGm4mb-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://alfredomora.sm​ugmug.com …i-CdGm4mb-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Nov 09, 2015 07:32 |  #8900

mystik610 wrote in post #17777150 (external link)
Hah. Admiring a type of photo and technique and eventually getting to the skill level or having the opportunity to shoot something similar is always a huge milestone.

Yeah, its good to learn things too!

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,375 posts
Gallery: 575 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 09, 2015 07:45 |  #8901

David Arbogast wrote in post #17776765 (external link)
So much coolness in this thread - best place on the Internet imo.

Gene, I failed to say so earlier, but I loved your GoPro movies - I'm hungry for more. :)

Eddie, congrats on yours; and your steering wheel comment gave me a really good laugh. :)

Much of North FL, and South AL and GA was hammered with rain today, so we escaped a couple hours drive north to Cheaha Mountain (Alabama) where it was raining significantly less (a7R II + Zeiss Otus 1.4/55mm ZE):
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AemK​2i  (external link)
Cheaha in Autumn (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

I think this thread is definitely the best one on POTN. Although I don't have a Sony I follow it avidly for many reasons, not least of which is that everyone is so supportive of each other and egos are left at the door (so to speak). Also, the knowledge shared by everyone is invaluable and much of it is not brand dependent. I think I follow most of you on Flickr but it's the exchanges that make it a community. So hope you don't mind me crashing the party. (And you never know I might one day buy a Sony!)

Amazing image, David - love the atmosphere in it.

flickr (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 09, 2015 07:49 |  #8902

Thinking out loud here......but I think the odds of Sony releasing a compact, and more affordable FF mirror less next year is pretty high.

Based on the historical pace of updates, the a7II is due for an update sometime next year. I say by Spring of next year to launch a new body alongside the 8 new FE lenses we're supposed to be getting. My gut is saying that the a7II goes the direction of the a7rII and a7sII, and moves up-market in terms of price and features. The a7sII pushed itself further into the video niche, so there's room for the a7sIII to be the low light still shooter with a BSI sensor (more than 24mp, but less than 42mp)? or perhaps put a new AF system into it, bump the FPS, and make it a FF sports shooter? Or maybe a combination of both. Either way, I don't see the a7III moving down-market.

If the a7III does move up-market, there will be a gaping hole in the compact, budget friendly FF realm that the a7 once occupied....which is why I'm thinking we'll see an a6 next year. The pop-up EVF in the rx1rII is rather telling. If you're a manufacturer like sony, who makes most of the components within the camera in-house, you'd want to leverage economies of scale to put components in as many different product lines as possible. My bet is that we see an a6 with the existing 24mp sensor, 179 point AF system, and pop-up EVF No IBIS to keep cost and size down. Price right at $2k +/- a couple thousand bucks. I'm also betting we see more compact, and affordable FE primes. 50 or 40 f2 pancake?

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,072 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 09, 2015 08:26 |  #8903

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17777109 (external link)
Congrats on the MW!! Fantastic captures.

We were hiking 3 days ago adjacent to the Volcan Arenal NP, found this guy on a tree, lesson is while in CR to NEVER put your hand anywhere without looking seriously closely first, so hard to spot. This is a brown Eyelash Viper-

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AQRf​1J  (external link) Eyelash Viper (brown) (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

Yikes! You've run into some very fearsome creatures on your trip! I watched YT videos on those bullet ants; nightmarish stuff. Now got to check out these Eyelash Vipers.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,556 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 09, 2015 08:32 |  #8904

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17777109 (external link)
Congrats on the MW!! Fantastic captures.

We were hiking 3 days ago adjacent to the Volcan Arenal NP, found this guy on a tree, lesson is while in CR to NEVER put your hand anywhere without looking seriously closely first, so hard to spot. This is a brown Eyelash Viper-

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AQRf​1J  (external link) Eyelash Viper (brown) (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

I could not be dealing with that. Terrified of snakes

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,741 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by navydoc.

Nov 09, 2015 09:49 |  #8905

Super images and as usual, it's hard for me to keep up. :-) MM, I'm definitely not a fan of vipers. I've lived in So. Cal. all my life and I've yet to see a rattlesnake in person...and that's just fine with me.

Annie, thanks for the comments and the likes you've given my images on Flickr. Hopefully you will get a Sony in the future. ;-)a

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 09, 2015 09:51 |  #8906

Here's the latest on the shipping of my gimbal from Hong Kong. I'll have to check back later to see if it will make it to me today or if I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Either way, it's going to be a long day. :lol:

I don't think I mentioned it but the shipping was free.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 09, 2015 10:17 |  #8907

Why Hong Kong? They don't have gimbals at B&H?

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,585 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by mystik610.

Nov 09, 2015 10:27 |  #8908

AnnieMacD wrote in post #17777184 (external link)
I think this thread is definitely the best one on POTN. Although I don't have a Sony I follow it avidly for many reasons, not least of which is that everyone is so supportive of each other and egos are left at the door (so to speak). Also, the knowledge shared by everyone is invaluable and much of it is not brand dependent. I think I follow most of you on Flickr but it's the exchanges that make it a community. So hope you don't mind me crashing the party. (And you never know I might one day buy a Sony!)

Amazing image, David - love the atmosphere in it.

Agree wholeheartedly Annie. I think its because the a7 cameras are attractive to people who have a real appreciation for the real pro's and con's that exist with any system. No one buys an a7 camera on the basis of brand....so you don't see the mindless brand/format bashing that you see everywhere else. Take the divisiveness of brand bias/association out of the picture (pardon the pun) and the discussions become more productive and informative. I've learned a lot from this thread and continue to do so.

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 09, 2015 10:37 |  #8909

Puckman wrote in post #17777336 (external link)
Why Hong Kong? They don't have gimbals at B&H?

They do...just not this one...not yet anyway. Even though I'm old, I actually do research when I buy ya know! :lol: I ordered directly from the manufacturer in this case.

HOSTED PHOTO

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,072 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by David Arbogast. (4 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2015 10:39 |  #8910

mystik610 wrote in post #17777350 (external link)
Agree wholeheartedly Annie. I think its because the a7 cameras are attractive to people who have a real appreciation for the real pro's and con's that exist with any system. No one buys an a7 camera on the basis of brand....so you don't see the mindless brand/format bashing that you see everywhere else. Take the divisiveness of brand bias/association out of the picture (pardon the pun) and the discussions become more productive and informative. I've learned a lot from this thread and continue to do so.

One thing I especially appreciate is that although we're all big fans of the a7 series, everyone here (unlike most other places) has loads of genuine respect and appreciation for other camera brands and models. In fact if anyone does express interest/plans of buying a different brand (Fuji, Canon, GoPro, etc.) the responses are always encouraging and supportive. Conversely, if anyone expresses a dislike about their a7 series camera, they aren't criticized or chastized. This is really rare stuff for an Internet forum...really hope it stays like that. :)

navydoc wrote in post #17777370 (external link)
They do...just not this one...not yet anyway. Even though I'm old, I actually do research when I buy ya know! :lol: I ordered directly from the manufacturer in this case.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by navydoc in
./showthread.php?p=177​77370&i=i207621950
forum: Sony Cameras

Blown away by the low price on that thing...what a bargain! Can't wait to see it in action!!

Still, I'm not sure if that is really a lower price than the DJI Osmo. The Osmo is $650 and includes the camera. This is $300 for the gimbal + another $400 for the GoPro, right? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the options. Another cost I would need to consider is factoring in upgrading my Sony Vegas license.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links

3,804,149 views & 33,336 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.