Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Nov 2015 (Tuesday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is a flash a must have?

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by mamaof2. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2015 08:21 |  #1

I take outdoor pics for the most part. I am wondering if a flash is a must have. I do not want to spend a lot as I just do this as a hobby and even when I do take pics for people I do not charge.

Thanks!

was looking at this one?

http://www.amazon.com …liid=I3SP04QPLV​Z6EE&psc=1 (external link)

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
philodelphi
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 10, 2015 08:22 |  #2

You have a flash on your camera... how's it working for you on outside pics?

Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300 DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Nov 10, 2015 08:26 as a reply to  @ philodelphi's post |  #3

I do not use the on camera flash. I use natural light, but there are times I need some fill light

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 10, 2015 08:43 |  #4

Your link leads to some chinchilla slippers...

A definite YES. I regretfully held off for a while before looking into and using on camera flash unit and then taking the flash off camera. Even outdoors, can make a world of difference. The ability to manipulate light rather than being a slave to what you are given, can make a world of difference to your image.

You can start pretty cheap, if you go third party. I do not have direct experience with this one, but the price is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/​dp/B00O9S2VSS?psc=1 (external link)

You get ETT-L on a decently powered flash unit. You can put it on top of camera, wirelessly trigger the flash (i.e. put it on a bookcase), attach the C1 cord into the camera and use the units to trigger your camera (group photo with you in it) and two diffusers to change the quality of light. Lots of info on the net to teach you what ETT-L and how to start using it. You just have to take the first step.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2015 08:56 |  #5

In my opinion a flash is a critical tool if you are doing portraiture. There are times when natural light works great but those times are rare and the limitations natural light places on you are restrictive.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,612 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 10, 2015 09:03 |  #6

Flash is never necessary. But it does hugely expand the horizons of what you can do with your camera. Beware of G.A.S., though. Just my flash shelf consists of: 5 EX II flashes, set of stands and shoot-through and reflective umbrellas, 4 YN-622c, and a 622c-TX, a stack of white index cards and a pile of rubberbands.

Tom

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Nov 10, 2015 09:10 |  #7

oops I was slipper shopping at the same time :). Posted the link with the flash :)

Jessi
flickr (external link)

Bassat
7,612 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 10, 2015 09:18 as a reply to  @ mamaof2's post |  #8

I use Canon flash units. I usually buy them used or refurbished to save a few dollars. The unit you linked to looks like it has all the necessary features for a good price. I also suggest getting a book or checking out some flash technique web-sites. It can be a bit overwhelming at first.

If you only plan to use it for outdoor portraiture fill light, Canon has the 270EX II, refurbed, on sale for about $90. The main advantage is the really small size compared to the big(ger) boys.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …lite-270ex-ii-refurbished (external link)

Tom

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2015 09:19 |  #9

mamaof2 wrote in post #17778536 (external link)
oops I was slipper shopping at the same time :). Posted the link with the flash :)

I think that flash is a good starting point. But to get where you want to be you will need a few other accessories. Having the flash on the camera isnt the best option, nor is having a bare flash. So a pair of wirless triggers, a stand, and a softnox or umbrella should be on your shopping list. The triggers are the pricey part. If you want to retain ettl flash I suggest the yn622c which will cost about the same as your flash. Any 8ft stand will work. Amazon carries a lot of umbrella style soft boxes like thishttp://www.amazon.com …keywords=Umbrel​la+softbox (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Nov 10, 2015 09:20 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #17778544 (external link)
I use Canon flash units. I usually buy them used or refurbished to save a few dollars. The unit you linked to looks like it has all the necessary features for a good price. I also suggest getting a book or checking out some flash technique web-sites. It can be a bit overwhelming at first.

If you only plan to use it for outdoor portraiture fill light, Canon has the 270EX II, refurbed, on sale for about $90. The main advantage is the really small size compared to the big(ger) boys.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …lite-270ex-ii-refurbished (external link)

Thanks for the info and link..I will check it out!

Jessi
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2015 09:23 |  #11

Do not get the 270ex II, its underpowered and of limited use indoors, the other half of using a flash. Get a full featured full sized flash.

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Nov 10, 2015 09:24 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #17778548 (external link)
Do not get the 270ex II, its underpowered and of limited use indoors, the other half of using a flash. Get a full featured full sized flash.

what do you recommend?

Jessi
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by gonzogolf.

Nov 10, 2015 09:26 as a reply to  @ mamaof2's post |  #13

The yn you linked to is fine. But that canon is a dead end. The 270exII is pretty much the same as the popup flash on your camers.

Bassat
7,612 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bassat.

Nov 10, 2015 09:29 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #17778548 (external link)

As a dedicated 270 II user, I have to disagree. I have two of them and they can light anything you will want to do with direct flash, or a reflector card mounted on the angled head. The 270EX II is also of sufficient power to bounce off of walls and 8' ceilings indoors. The 270EX II is also excellent for portrait fill outdoors, where I primarily use direct flash. I also use them for macro work, because I am generally shooting group A only, at close range, where their diminutive stature is quite beneficial.

I'll be right back with some examples. Oh, sorry. I do completely agree with you that the 430 and 580 sizes do more than the 270, and pack a lot more punch. They also cost a lot more.

OK. It is hard to get decent examples around the house on a bright sunny day. Lots of window light is obviating the need for anything but a bit of fill.

Tom

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 10, 2015 09:34 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #15

But they dont cost more thsn the YN which is fine for non professional use,

sponsored links

5,295 views & 16 likes for this thread
Is a flash a must have?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.