Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mall Santa... I NEED HELP!

InfinityImages
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 04, 2015 13:45 |  #1

I have a family member that is the coordinator for a mall. She contacted me to take the Santa pictures. I've never done this before. We will NOT be printing the photos there, but have them available for digital download instead. Can anybody tell me what you've used for a setup? Lights? I plan on tethering my Canon to my Macbook Pro. Is there an easy way to upload from LightRoom to a website where they can download? Should every person have a password? I'm not sure how to go about it, so any advice (aside from "you should print right there") would be greatly appreciated!!

sponsored links
sporadic
580 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by sporadic.

Nov 04, 2015 13:57 |  #2

The photog that did ours last year had a 3 person setup and big softbox with a strobe. One taking money, one taking pictures, and one doing quick post in lightroom if needed. They'd dump your pictures to a USB drive if you had one and make them available via their facebook page the next day. Sharing them via Facebook would be a way to get lots of traffic and shares.

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | X-T3 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
Fringer EF-FX Pro
7D | 300/4 L IS

Big ­ Frost
384 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 04, 2015 14:25 |  #3

Just an idea, create a FB page for this, or if you have one for your photography already, use it, and have LR upload directly to the page?

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

InfinityImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 04, 2015 14:27 |  #4

I hadn't thought about using Facebook. I do have a FB page for my business, but I also want them to be able to download their image so they can print themselves.

Big ­ Frost
384 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 04, 2015 14:31 |  #5

I wonder if there is photo booth software or something similar that would provide what you need?

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,275 posts
Gallery: 1692 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 04, 2015 22:03 |  #6

Heya,

Lighting depends on the mall. I would take some lighting just in case. Something with a fast recycle time (if you have it) and wired (just to avoid down time due to batteries; again if you have it). I would shoot medium or small JPG. Get everything right in camera first. That may sound funny, but shooting RAW is just more work and these setups are all about speed and producing a dependable product. If the sharpening, saturation, contrast, etc, is all set for JPG in the camera and you shoot medium or small, anything that will result in a decent 8x10 (which 5MP can ready produce a nice 8x10 with room to spare). The file transfers will be faster, the buffer will clean faster, work flow will run faster, and uploading to your dropbox will all simply go faster.

As for where to dump the files, a simple Wordpress site could work, with galleries that are private and require a password--this is the most used/popular out there and takes minutes to setup and get running.

Last time I did Santa, I was fortunate with a decently lit set so didn't have to use lighting and got away with a junk XSi & 85!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7531/16155398509_b934d62f3e_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qBAD​8B  (external link) IMG_5639 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

InfinityImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 06, 2015 16:15 |  #7

I've seen a lot to shoot in JPEG instead, so I'll definitely do that. I don't have any lighting right now, I planned on just renting what I needed. I currently use shootproof for my galleries. So I think that should work right??

I've also been contemplating which lens to use. I was initially just thinking a 50mm, but you said you used an 85. Maybe I'll just have to see when I get there on how the setup is.

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 10, 2015 14:26 |  #8

You should be able to use one decent-power monolight into a 60" white umbrella mounted directly above the camera. Camera on a tripod of course, and a padded stool for you to sit on. One zoom lens, from normal to mid-tele should get you by. If you can run the camera off a wall outlet it will save swapping and charging batteries all day. If you don't or can't tether the camera to a computer, an Eye-fi card might help too.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

sponsored links

1,523 views & 3 likes for this thread
Mall Santa... I NEED HELP!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.