Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Oct 2015 (Monday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-70 2.8 sharpness

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Xyclopx. (4 edits in all)

Nov 11, 2015 16:52 |  #16

Shooting wrote in post #17780270 (external link)
Humm..well, I tried it on two of the same bodies, one was a little better than the other but nothing to brag about. Neither of them was as bad as the examples I posted. I went outside and took the same picture with both T5i's and one was as fuzzy as the one posted and the other was clearer and not as bad. So getting mixed results. I tried back button focusing and shutter focusing - One shot focusing mode. Focusing on the same subject, same eye, same exposure and yet one is better than the other. Could it now be a camera thing. The T5i's do not have micro adjustment. Canon's paperwork said they replaced 3 internal collars.

please don't use AF. test manual focus. that eliminates the AF possibility.

as for replacing collars--if Canon stated that then they indeed did find something physically wrong. Canon doesn't replace stuff unless it's a last resort. typically they will send back with a notice saying something like, "carried out adjustments to the AF assembly" (which I've been told is a catch-all statement and you can't draw conclusions on whether they touched the glass or just reprogrammed) or some variance of that. then if you push they do more specific tests and finally come back with "replaced ___." so if they say they replaced something, you can be pretty sure it was broke. BUT, that doesn't mean it's not a combination of both physical and AF problems.

in fact, almost all lenses/bodies require some AF adjustment. so, if your camera doesn't have adjustment you pretty much will never get the most out of most of your lenses unless you also send your body in to Canon for adjustment, and even then it's only adjusted to Canon's reference. so if you get a new lens, you'd also need to send that lens in to be adjusted to their reference.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links
Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 11, 2015 18:06 as a reply to  @ Xyclopx's post |  #17

I did both. I did the manual focusing then back to AF. Well, there is no way I can afford to send both my bodies with the lens to be adjusted to both of them. Then I guess I am stuck and when I use 24mm with a group of people I need to take more than 5 images to see if at least one is acceptable.

Makes me very nervous now to shoot a group at 24mm because I have no idea how bad they will turn out and no amount of adjustment of course will salvage them to everyone's satisfaction.

Retirement, where are you???

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 11, 2015 18:17 |  #18

Shooting wrote in post #17780375 (external link)
I did both. I did the manual focusing then back to AF. Well, there is no way I can afford to send both my bodies with the lens to be adjusted to both of them. Then I guess I am stuck and when I use 24mm with a group of people I need to take more than 5 images to see if at least one is acceptable.

Makes me very nervous now to shoot a group at 24mm because I have no idea how bad they will turn out and no amount of adjustment of course will salvage them to everyone's satisfaction.

Retirement, where are you???

just fyi, canon doesn't adjust the lens "to a body." they will adjust to a reference, and the bodies to some reference too. if they adjusted the lens to a body then it would be off for all other bodies.

anyway, i guess it's all the same difference to you. either way, for cameras that don't have MF adjustment, they need to be sent to the factory for calibration, as well as all the lenses.

however, .... in this case, you can probably get the body done "on the house." i am pretty sure that if you send in the body with the lens, since you are currently repairing the lens, part of that is making it work with your camera. they will have to adjust your camera to get the system to be perfect. if you ask in the right way, i am fairly certain they'll do the body for free, and probably all bodies you current own that you have to use with the lens. but be careful, cause this may make them worse with your other lenses, which then would need to be calibrated too.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 11, 2015 18:22 as a reply to  @ Xyclopx's post |  #19

Nah, can't do all that - got assignments coming up. I guess I could always sell the lens and go the prime lens way. Or sell it and try the Tamron 24-70 2.8: Maybe prime lenses would be better. 35mm f/2, 50 1.8 and 24mm 2.8 is about all I need, I already have the 85mm 1.8 and ALL images on both bodies are tack sharp.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2015 10:25 |  #20

Well, now that Canon did those repairs I got a person out there to pose for me and everything is perfect. Hummm..only thing I can think of is at 24mm the mannequin head is so small that the focus point covers the entire thing and it cannot lock focus good on it even though the light blinks red that says it is locked on and there is no body to focus on also.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 12, 2015 10:39 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #21

So that head is only 1"? That is probably an issue. Start firing away at test subjects/items and make sure you're happy with it while still under the repair warranty.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,203 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 12, 2015 10:47 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #22

It is a very humble mannequin! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2015 13:54 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #23

When shooting at 24mm 24 ft away, it is 1" tall in the viewfinder.

sponsored links

4,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-70 2.8 sharpness
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.