Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Nov 2015 (Thursday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Batterypack for Yongnuo 600 EX-RT withouth AA batteries ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,481 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 12, 2015 12:55 |  #1

I hate working with setst of 4 AA batteries, some are quickly empty or suddenly unexpected (I even have some good brands), the flashes have a battery indicator, so that's an advantage allready. But I still find it unhandy, sometimes one is not working and you don't know which one on the road...

Which type of batterypack would fit with thie external flash (not a batterypack with AA's offcourse as this exists also :)

It may be from Yongnuo itself or another 3rd party brand,...

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
Trailboy
539 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 12, 2015 14:50 |  #2

godox pb960 would probably be ideal.

Your flash still needs 4AAs in it however, with any battery pack.

smaeda
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 12, 2015 15:16 |  #3

What kind of AA batteries are you using that's giving you so much trouble? You are using rechargeable ones right?

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
Sony A7iii, Irix 15mm f2.4, Samyang 35mm f1.4, Zeiss 55mm f1.8, Sony FE 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 L, Sigma 135mm f1.8

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 12, 2015 15:19 |  #4

Trailboy wrote in post #17781348 (external link)
godox pb960 would probably be ideal.

Your flash still needs 4AAs in it however, with any battery pack.

I believe the Canon 600EX-rt can be put into a mode that will work without 4 internal batteries - I'm nearly certain about this as I found this info when I bought all my external AA battery packs - it is in one of the menus somewhere.

I like the AA rechargeable packs - I have 7 of them - one for each of my flashes - all with the same eneloop pro rechargeable batteries

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Trailboy
539 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 12, 2015 16:04 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #5

Really? I honestly don't think it does, but I don't have a600 to test.

There is a custom option that changes whether capacitor power is only drawn from the external battery or external and internal battery. But this still needs internal 4aa as it powers the panel and the zoom head etc. External power packs wire straight into the capacitor I believe.

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 12, 2015 16:25 as a reply to  @ Trailboy's post |  #6

C.Fn 12
0 - recharge capacitor from both internal and external power
1 - recharge from external only.
There must always be a set of AAs internally to drive the circuit board processor, etc, as trailboy says. If C.Fn12 = 1, then the internals will only slowly deplete, as they are not building up the capacitor to 300v.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,481 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by CanonYouCan. (3 edits in all)

Nov 12, 2015 18:48 |  #7

Oh I have a bit of everything, Sanyo Eneloops, Memorex, Ansmann,.... all rechargeable.

I found here a batterypack without 4 AA's in one block :
http://www.benl.ebay.b​e …geName=STRK%3AM​EBIDX%3AIT (external link)

But is this only 2000mah in total so this has to be used in combination with 4 AA's?
So a high capacity standalone doesn't exist...

Here I found a higher capacity for 2 flashes, expensive stuff, doesn't seem worth the money :
http://www.benl.ebay.b​e …a49205:g:WXwAAO​SwRLZT9iiX (external link)

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

CliveyBoy
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by CliveyBoy.

Nov 12, 2015 19:47 |  #8

CanonYouCan wrote in post #17781641 (external link)
so this has to be used in combination with 4 AA's?

Yes - the flash will not power up if the internal 4x AAs are missing. There is no circuit from the external power socket to the microprocessor and other electronics which run the flash. (And the Godox listing says that the internal batteries are still needed.)

A "standalone" in the way you mean would be pointless, because the flash is designed to be UNABLE to work that way.

There have been some packs that have a cable plug designed to fit into the battery compartment, so that power will be supplied to both the capacitor for the Xenon tube, and the circuit board. Of course, these are then limited to a 6-volt input. This will enable an increased number of shots over 4x AAs, but they will recharge the capacitor at the same slow rate.

50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,976 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 13, 2015 02:50 |  #9

Oh I have a bit of everything, Sanyo Eneloops, Memorex, Ansmann,.... all rechargeable.

I found here a batterypack without 4 AA's in one block :
http://www.benl.ebay.b​e …geName=STRK%3AM​EBIDX%3AIT (external link)

But is this only 2000mah in total so this has to be used in combination with 4 AA's?

Here I found a higher capacity for 2 flashes, expensive stuff, doesn't seem worth the money :
http://www.benl.ebay.b​e …a49205:g:WXwAAO​SwRLZT9iiX (external link)

Both of those are suitable, both would power 2 flashguns, both will improve recycle times and last a long time. Someone above already pointed out the PB960

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,176 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 13, 2015 20:47 |  #10

This may be part of your problem. If you are mixing battery types it can affect performance. You should check that all the batteries in a set of 4 have the same capacity. You don't want to be mixing batteries that have different capacities such as 2000 mAh and 2500 mAh as it will cause the batteries to discharge unevenly.

I know you said you don't want an AA battery pack but I will say they are very good and will almost certainly solve your problems. I have the Pixel TD-381 (external link) battery pack and it is very good. As mentioned above you can set some flashes to recharge from the battery pack (not from the 4 internal batteries) which also helps avoid the internal batteries draining.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

CliveyBoy
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 13, 2015 20:56 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #11

I use the Pixel TD381 also. Love their dual voltage doubler system. I was even able on a location shoot to borrow 4x AAs from a Pixel pack when a flash had a battery crisis., and still have everything going.

sponsored links

2,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
Batterypack for Yongnuo 600 EX-RT withouth AA batteries ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.