Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 13:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pixels.com?

Nethawked
796 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 11, 2015 13:52 |  #1

Hi,

Outside of a few online photo blogs I'm not finding much from user perspective, or any critical reviews. Are there experiences that can be shared by our community members? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 12, 2015 06:26 |  #2

Not really sure what you are asking here, nor what connection it has to your thread subject title.

Website (external link) |

seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Nov 12, 2015 08:31 |  #3

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17780778 (external link)
Not really sure what you are asking here, nor what connection it has to your thread subject title.

One would assume the OP is looking for user perspectives or critical reviews on pixels.com . Which is the "stock" branch of FAA.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 12, 2015 11:12 |  #4

seanlockephotography wrote in post #17780863 (external link)
Which is the "stock" branch of FAA.

...not quite. Pixels essentially is Fine Art America, repackaged and slightly retooled to market to an international audience as opposed to a US one. So anyone with a Fine Art America account could also share their perspectives or reviews as well: although currency issues and shipping are a couple of things that make Pixels a harder "sell" to customers internationally than FAA users marketing to a domestic (US) market.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 12, 2015 12:34 |  #5

I have found that Pixels.com and FAA are interchangeable from my perspective. Whether I surf to Pixels.com or Fineartamerica.com, they both take me to the same log-in page, and my username and password works the same either way.

Having said that, there are many fans of the FAA/Pixels outlet. They have an easy template with some customization. Mostly you have the option of choosing your own profits per size of your work. There are some issues here though. If you say you want a $15 profit for an 11X14 image they produce and ship to a customer, that is what you get, whether the 11X14 is a print, on canvas, on metal, or on acrylic. Each of these mediums have a charge/cost, and your profit is added to it. So you as the artist get the same profit amount no matter the medium (remember, you set your profit for each size available). Some folks don't like the fact that your profit cannot be set for different mediums for the same size image.

There are probably some other complaints, but for me, the annual charge for a "pro" account is minimal ($30 per year I think). It is a fire-and-forget process. You load an image and set the prices, then don't have to ever mess with it again.

Now, there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of artists on FAA/Pixels. So you have to do your own marketing to get people to find you. They have lots of marketing outlets for the overall site, but for you, its up to you to publicize your own collection. For example, if someone wants a nice 20X30 picture of the city of Denver for their daughter, they enter "Denver" in the key word search and hundreds of pictures come up, from all the artists on the site. You can narrow to media type (photographs, for example), and a few other discriminators, but your work will be mixed with all others who have "Denver" in their key words. Plus you will get pictures of anything with "Denver" in the key words, like a fire truck from the Denver Fire Dept, but those are issues in nearly any search mechanism.

For the minimal cost, give it a try.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
796 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 12, 2015 12:42 |  #6

Thank you very much for your experience, it's exactly what I was hoping for.

seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Nov 12, 2015 14:08 |  #7

banquetbear wrote in post #17781052 (external link)
...not quite. Pixels essentially is Fine Art America, repackaged and slightly retooled to market to an international audience as opposed to a US one. So anyone with a Fine Art America account could also share their perspectives or reviews as well: although currency issues and shipping are a couple of things that make Pixels a harder "sell" to customers internationally than FAA users marketing to a domestic (US) market.

http://www.microstockg​roup.com …ck-agency-faa-pixels-com/ (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 12, 2015 21:51 |  #8

...you are referring to this:

http://licensing.pixel​s.com/ (external link)
http://licensing.pixel​s.com/aboutpixelslicen​sing.html (external link)

Pixels.com Commercial Licensing is the licensing division of Pixels.com - the largest online art site in the world.

http://fineartamerica.​com/aboutthissite.html (external link)
http://pixels.com/abou​tthissite.html (external link)

As you can see: the "about" pages are virtually identical, they offer identical services and even though I've never technically "signed up" to Fine Art America here is my profile, (external link) which is identical to my pixels account. (external link) Its all explained here (external link).

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Nov 13, 2015 09:38 |  #9

banquetbear wrote in post #17781052 (external link)
Pixels essentially is Fine Art America, repackaged and slightly retooled to market to an international audience

Correct, but with additional.

Sean, the owner of all, has stated that he wants Pixels to overtake FAA as the primary fine art outlet. His concern is that FAA, because of it's name, doesn't slant enough toward international marketing. Problems are that 1) it is more or less universally opined that Pixels is a lousy domain name, and 2) Pixels, even tho it has been out there for some time now, is not doing very good in the click department. As of my last check, traffic to FAA dwarfs Pixels.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Nov 13, 2015 09:47 |  #10

And to add what golfecho said, if you do sign onto FAA with a premium account, the marketing you do should bring potential buyers back to what it called your AW (Artist website) which you get free with the premium membership.

The reason you might want to do this is there have been massive complaints lately that the FAA and Pixels engine is being continually changed so that buyers, initially brought back to your art on FAA or Pixels, are easily led to the art of others - your competitors. So when you market externally, it's best to link buyers to your own website (with an embedded shopping cart) or to your AW. Doing the hard work of external marketing and linking back to FAA or Pixels may ultimately lead potential buyers to your competitors.

sponsored links

1,537 views & 3 likes for this thread
Pixels.com?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.