Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What setting will u use for shooting sunset?

imostrap
Hatchling
6 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 04, 2015 23:23 |  #1

Sunset at Oia, Greeck
F11
1/500 sec
ISO 100
34mm

Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

iMo camera fashion
www.imostrap.com (external link)
https://instagram.com/​imostrap/ (external link)

sponsored links
Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,999 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 05, 2015 07:05 |  #2

Welcome to POTN imostrap..

Once sun has risen I will generally shoot a couple different images for the highlights, (not to blow them out) Blinkies, and a couple for the shadows, and then blend

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/663/22096152814_89727c51e1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …2096152814/in/d​ateposted/  (external link)
BS9A1588 C) All Rights Reserved (external link) by Sett N trenZ (external link) on Flickr

My Gear flickr (external link)

jmh285
80 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 08, 2015 21:05 |  #3

Bianchi wrote in post #17773057 (external link)
Welcome to POTN imostrap..

Once sun has risen I will generally shoot a couple different images for the highlights, (not to blow them out) Blinkies, and a couple for the shadows, and then blend

Bianchi - Would you mind sharing how you go about blending multiple images? Are there any tutorials you'd recommend? The picture you posted is really well done and you have some incredible work on your flickr.

imostrap
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 08, 2015 21:45 |  #4

How about this one? Pls comment!!

HOSTED PHOTO

iMo camera fashion

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,999 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by Bianchi. (2 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2015 22:05 |  #5

jmh285 wrote in post #17776808 (external link)
Bianchi - Would you mind sharing how you go about blending multiple images? Are there any tutorials you'd recommend? The picture you posted is really well done and you have some incredible work on your flickr.

Thank you jmh
Expose for highlights in one shot, and then expose for shadows in another

Here's a link to a page of video's for blending images

https://www.youtube.co​m …Blending+images​+using+LR6 (external link)

As for your last picture, when the sun is setting behind your subject you will get a silhouette, as you did. To have the foreground in view, you would have to have an exposure that will blow out the sunset, but properly expose for the foreground to be in view, and then blend it with the sunset shot that was properly exposed.. Then your foreground would be properly illuminated and in view with your backround (Sunset)

This is very easily done in LR 6, no need for Photoshop
What software are you using to edit, also I highly recommend to shoot in Raw for blending purposes.

imostrap
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 08, 2015 23:20 as a reply to  @ Bianchi's post |  #6

Thanks so much for your comment!
I just newly bought this D750 & took in Jpet format :P
& I don't know much about photo editing, just use the photoscape software. I think I have to learn light room :)

iMo camera fashion

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by Lyndön.

Nov 08, 2015 23:33 |  #7

I second the recommendation of learning Lightroom. It's not only great for making adjustments, but it's a great for organizing and printing as well. It's a nice all-in-one solution.

Nice images guys! My workflow is pretty much the same as mentioned above, depending on my mood. Sometimes just expose for the highlights and get a silhouette, and other times blending multiple exposures.

Edit: If you're going to be blending exposures, I'd suggest shooting RAW instead of JPEG. The files will give you lots more room for adjustment later.

GEAR LIST

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,999 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by Bianchi. (2 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2015 23:48 |  #8

imostrap wrote in post #17776904 (external link)
Thanks so much for your comment!
I just newly bought this D750 & took in Jpet format :P
& I don't know much about photo editing, just use the photoscape software. I think I have to learn light room :)

You have yourself a very nice camera, you will soon learn photo editing is equally important as is getting great captures with your camera.

Let me recommend you visit George Jardins website, and buy his how to video's on LR, both the Library & Develop video..

The Library video is extremely important in setting up your photo files, otherwise you may be spending months undoing all the mess you created storing your files improperly.

The develop video will be having you use all the tools LR has to offer to edit your files.

Disclosure : I have no affiliation with GJ. Someone recommended him to me when I first started. I learned LR through his video's

http://mulita.com/blog​/ (external link)

Happy Shooting & Editing :-):-):-) and begin shooting in RAW, as you can do a lot more with them during processing

imostrap
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 10, 2015 00:09 as a reply to  @ Bianchi's post |  #9

OK, thanks!

iMo camera fashion

medd63
447 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 10, 2015 14:33 |  #10

With digital storage so cheap these days, I pretty much bracket everything.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by jefzor.

Nov 13, 2015 13:08 |  #11

-ALWAYS SHOOT RAW for difficult lighting situations, like sunsets.

-You don't always have to include the sun in the frame, the colored clouds and warm light can be just as beautiful.

-When you do put the sun in the frame, the result will depend a lot on how harsh the sun is, the lower to the horizon, the softer, and some haze can help too. Some days will be better than others, evey sunset is different.

-Don't always use a wide angle, a telelens will make the sun look larger (it seems like you already know this)

-Protip for sunsets with buildings: stay a little longer after the sun is down and wait for the lights to go on.

Some practicing what I preach, at Santorini.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

sponsored links

1,963 views & 2 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.