Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Nov 2015 (Saturday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Starter Flash Kit

tfd
60 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Nov 14, 2015 21:43 |  #1

The more I read about flash, the more confused I get. I'm looking to get started with off camera flash, and was looking at using a Yongnuo flash at first. My question is which one will require the fewest parts to get up and running. I'm more of a hands on learner, so the quicker I get stuff, the quicker I'll understand it.

Using my Canon SL1, which Yongnuo flash would I need that will allow ETTL on and off camera, and would I need any triggers, etc with it, or can I use the pop up flash on the camera to trigger it?

sponsored links
crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 14, 2015 22:02 |  #2

You could do optical but I would suggest going radio. You can get the YN600EX-RT from B&H for less than $120.

I think you can even fire it optically until your ready to spring for the radio transmitter but will have to confirm.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

tfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Nov 14, 2015 22:11 |  #3

crbinson wrote in post #17784166 (external link)
You could do optical but I would suggest going radio. You can get the YN600EX-RT from B&H for less than $120.

I think you can even fire it optically until your ready to spring for the radio transmitter but will have to confirm.

Which transmitter would that require?

Thanks for the input :-)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 14, 2015 22:33 as a reply to  @ tfd's post |  #4

It looks like the the SL1 built-in flash does not have the ability to act as a master so you will need a trigger or an external flash with master capability regardless of optical or radio trigger method.

You need a YN-E3-RT to trigger a YN600EX-RT remotely via radio. Or you get two YN600EX-RT and have one on the camera as a master and trigger the off-camera via optical transmission. That kinda of defeats the purpose of having the radio functionality but you can always add that later when you are ready for it.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,874 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 14, 2015 22:36 |  #5

tfd wrote in post #17784148 (external link)
The more I read about flash, the more confused I get. I'm looking to get started with off camera flash, and was looking at using a Yongnuo flash at first. My question is which one will require the fewest parts to get up and running. I'm more of a hands on learner, so the quicker I get stuff, the quicker I'll understand it.

Using my Canon SL1, which Yongnuo flash would I need that will allow ETTL on and off camera, and would I need any triggers, etc with it, or can I use the pop up flash on the camera to trigger it?

Heya,

Yongnuo 685 flash is your friend here. Built in receivers. No need to get more transceivers at all. They're built in. Saves parts and money and batteries and bulk. Full feature flash, with ETTL and HSS capability. It has a built-in YN622 transceiver in it. Get as many 685's as you want.

The only transceiver you need is a single YN622 or a TX-622 to control all flashes from one single transceiver.

Literally as simple as it can possibly get right now with speedlites.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

pigpile34
151 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 15, 2015 21:03 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #6

Been checking these out. Kind of confused with Amazon's site. One of the models apparently has GN60 as part of the name of item. I know that stands for Guide Number, but not sure what the 60 means. There are other items for YONGNUO YN685 that come up without the GN60 designation. Any clue as to what that is?

tfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Nov 15, 2015 21:40 |  #7

MalVeauX wrote in post #17784192 (external link)
Heya,

Yongnuo 685 flash is your friend here. Built in receivers. No need to get more transceivers at all. They're built in. Saves parts and money and batteries and bulk. Full feature flash, with ETTL and HSS capability. It has a built-in YN622 transceiver in it. Get as many 685's as you want.

The only transceiver you need is a single YN622 or a TX-622 to control all flashes from one single transceiver.

Literally as simple as it can possibly get right now with speedlites.

Very best,

Excellent. So I would need 1 YN622 and that would control the flash when it is used off camera, correct?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,874 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 15, 2015 21:43 |  #8

tfd wrote in post #17785399 (external link)
Excellent. So I would need 1 YN622 and that would control the flash when it is used off camera, correct?

Heya,

Correct. The single YN622 would command/control all YN685's when off the camera, with full ETTL & HSS capabilities.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by maverick75.

Nov 15, 2015 21:45 |  #9

One of the Masters of Flash made a starter kit post here
http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …-101-traveling-light.html (external link)

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

tfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Nov 16, 2015 17:17 |  #10

maverick75 wrote in post #17785401 (external link)
One of the Masters of Flash made a starter kit post here
http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …-101-traveling-light.html (external link)

That's a manual flash. I've seen that kit and while it would be helpful, it doesn't do what I would like it to.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 17, 2015 02:31 |  #11

I'm interested in knowing what, if anything, would be the difference between a system of YN-E3-RT + YN600ex-rt + YN-E3-RX, and a system that is YN-622C-TX + YN685 + YN-622C.

As I understand it, the first setup communicates via Canon wireless protocol, so it can freely integrate with Canon 600ex-rt and 430exiii-rt speedlites, whereas the second system uses Yongnuo's own RF protocol that would require additional YN-622C transceivers to add Canon speedlites or YN600ex-rt units to the setup.

Does the Yongnuo 622-based system extend E-TTL or HSS functionality to more legacy speedlites and bodies, is that why it is a popular option? If not, what does it offer than makes it worth considering for Canon shooters?

I know that both the YN-622C and YN-E3-RX can work as receivers that allow adding monolights to a speedlite setup (via PC cord), which is what I use my YN-E3-RXs for, but is the functionality any different between them?

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

delta0014
316 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 17, 2015 05:36 |  #12

absplastic wrote in post #17786884 (external link)
I'm interested in knowing what, if anything, would be the difference between a system of YN-E3-RT + YN600ex-rt + YN-E3-RX, and a system that is YN-622C-TX + YN685 + YN-622C.

As I understand it, the first setup communicates via Canon wireless protocol, so it can freely integrate with Canon 600ex-rt and 430exiii-rt speedlites, whereas the second system uses Yongnuo's own RF protocol that would require additional YN-622C transceivers to add Canon speedlites or YN600ex-rt units to the setup.

Does the Yongnuo 622-based system extend E-TTL or HSS functionality to more legacy speedlites and bodies, is that why it is a popular option? If not, what does it offer than makes it worth considering for Canon shooters?

I know that both the YN-622C and YN-E3-RX can work as receivers that allow adding monolights to a speedlite setup (via PC cord), which is what I use my YN-E3-RXs for, but is the functionality any different between them?

I had the same question since I'm looking at getting the RT system.

5D Mark IV
24-70L f2.8 ii / 85L ii / 135L / Rokinon 14mm f2.8
Yongnuo 600RT x 3
Just a hobby - CC always welcome.
Flickr (external link)

agrandexpression
448 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Nov 17, 2015 08:15 |  #13

crbinson wrote in post #17784190 (external link)
It looks like the the SL1 built-in flash does not have the ability to act as a master so you will need a trigger or an external flash with master capability regardless of optical or radio trigger method.

You need a YN-E3-RT to trigger a YN600EX-RT remotely via radio. Or you get two YN600EX-RT and have one on the camera as a master and trigger the off-camera via optical transmission. That kinda of defeats the purpose of having the radio functionality but you can always add that later when you are ready for it.

Um...the YN600EX-RT is capable of acting as a master via radio.

agrandexpression
448 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Nov 17, 2015 09:15 |  #14

As far as I know, the radio protocol is the only difference

Does the Yongnuo 622-based system extend E-TTL or HSS functionality to more legacy speedlites and bodies, is that why it is a popular option?

The 622 needs a camera body that has the external flash menu built into the camera (the 622 has no controls on it other than channel and group selections). The 622 will work with a wider variety of eTTL compatible flashes, not just legacy flashes like the yn-e3-rx.

If not, what does it offer than makes it worth considering for Canon shooters?

I think the 622 system is popular because it came before the RT system, and for those not invested in the RT system...it's a inexpensive, simple way to trigger compatible eTTL flashes.

The 622 can be used as a transmitter as well, but that's the only difference I'm aware of.

How well does the yn-e3-rx work with your monolights? I'm considering adding a monolight to my aresnal, and would like to use the yn-e3-rx to trigger it. I'm assuming it just triggers, but all setting have to be put in manually?

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 17, 2015 12:33 |  #15

agrandexpression wrote in post #17787109 (external link)
How well does the yn-e3-rx work with your monolights? I'm considering adding a monolight to my aresnal, and would like to use the yn-e3-rx to trigger it. I'm assuming it just triggers, but all setting have to be put in manually?

So far, I've used it in two studios, with an Alien Bees unit (B400 or B800, I don't remember which it was) and with a Rovelight 600. I worked perfectly in both cases, and yes with studio lights all you get is simple trigger functionality, so I was setting power of those lights directly on the lights--not as sexy as a fully-integrate system like using all native RT speedlites, or Elinchrom's skyport setup, but it's really nice to be able to add extra lights of any brand. I'm looking now at picking up a Rovelight of my own for location shooting, it integrated so well.

The YN-E3-RX also works with my older 320ex flash, letting it join the 600ex's in an E-TTL setup. Prior to getting this receiver, my 320ex was basically useless, since the 600ex-rt can't simultaneously sync remote units by radio and optical. Now I can use it as a hair or fill light.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links

2,531 views & 2 likes for this thread
Starter Flash Kit
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.