Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critique for Printing

mroczekm
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 11, 2015 16:08 |  #1

Hello everyone, this is my fist post on the forums here. All of that aside, I'd like to print this photo and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I could improve before I print it. Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2015 16:16 |  #2

You don't mention how big/software skill set...Is not my idea of an image worth printing.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

mroczekm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 11, 2015 16:22 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #3

Sorry! Im making a small 8x10 print on a Pixma pro 10. The image was processed in Lightroom CC

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2015 18:19 |  #4

Cosco will do a respectful job then...go for it.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,861 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 14, 2015 05:53 |  #5

See if you can use an adjustment brush to lighten the shadows in the foreground. There may not be any detail in there, so possibly that won't really help.

Flickr (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,770 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 14, 2015 06:54 |  #6

chauncey wrote in post #17780264 (external link)
You don't mention how big/software skill set...Is not my idea of an image worth printing.

I thought the same thing.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 14, 2015 08:08 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #7

patrick j wrote in post #17783274 (external link)
See if you can use an adjustment brush to lighten the shadows in the foreground. There may not be any detail in there, so possibly that won't really help.

And the pine trees are just dark objects.
There's really nothing in that image that makes me want to look at it for more than 5 seconds. It needs a person/deer/something on the small hill. Maybe a bird in the sky. Or more dramatic light. Something...
And I'm not sure that it's in 8X10 format, either.

Having said that, welcome to POTN!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,861 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 14, 2015 10:43 |  #8

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17783348 (external link)
And the pine trees are just dark objects.
There's really nothing in that image that makes me want to look at it for more than 5 seconds. It needs a person/deer/something on the small hill. Maybe a bird in the sky. Or more dramatic light. Something...
And I'm not sure that it's in 8X10 format, either.

Having said that, welcome to POTN!

Well, yeah, but that wasn't the question. They'll probably never post here again.

Flickr (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 14, 2015 17:22 |  #9

That may be but...there was room for improvement in LR.

saea501
6,770 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 15, 2015 05:51 |  #10

mroczekm wrote in post #17780254 (external link)
Hello everyone, this is my fist post on the forums here. All of that aside, I'd like to print this photo and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I could improve before I print it. Thanks!

patrick j wrote in post #17783515 (external link)
Well, yeah, but that wasn't the question. They'll probably never post here again.

Seemed like the question to me. OP asked what they could do to improve the picture......they got a suggestion. Why would that make them never post here again?

Bob

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 15, 2015 06:19 |  #11

saea501 wrote in post #17784368 (external link)
Seemed like the question to me. OP asked what they could do to improve the picture......they got a suggestion. Why would that make them never post here again?

Maybe because of feeling bashed. The OP asked for suggestions to improve the image prior to printing. You and chauncey provided no recommendations other than the image is not worth printing. *SMH*

Maybe a respectful answer in the future would be "I'd tone down the blue in the sky and bring up the shadows in the foreground. If you have the opportunity to shoot this location again in the future, look for something unique to add creativity like a bird in the sky or a large bolder in the foreground. Welcome to POTN. I hope you find a wealth of knowledge and experience here to help you along your photographic journey. p.s. ignore the a-holes; there are a few trolling around."

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

saea501
6,770 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by saea501.

Nov 15, 2015 06:56 |  #12

You're a pretty funny guy.

And just an FYI.........nobody likes being called an A hole. So, let's try to be a bit more mature.

Bob

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,228 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 15, 2015 07:12 |  #13

The OP was doing a home print and wanted help. It's not good enough to print is not help. The advice given wasn't that friendly. Perhaps the imagemhas personal meaning.

To the OP. I'm not sure there is much more to do before printing. Perhaps a bump in saturation as prints look a bit flatter than images viewed on a screen.

saea501
6,770 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 15, 2015 07:38 |  #14

This is unbelievable. The advice wasn't friendly? Really?

There were two opinions expressed here. Chauncey felt it wasn't worth printing and I simply agreed. Now, were getting a ration of crap for what.....expressing an opinion? There was no animosity in either of our statements so how is it that we are suddenly now guilty of being mean and disrespectful? If either of us felt there was something to be done to improve it for printing we would have said so.

Everyone now has to be so careful to word everything just so. We have to word things in such a way so there is not even the remotest possibility of being construed as being disrespectful.

Freaking grow up. This is a perfect example of truly making something from nothing.

Good job.

Bob

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,228 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 15, 2015 07:46 |  #15

Did he ask if it were worthy of hanging on your wall? No. He didn't ask for a critique, he asked for help and didn't get any.

sponsored links

3,623 views & 16 likes for this thread
Critique for Printing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.