Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 12 Nov 2015 (Thursday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Car Shot

big_g
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 12, 2015 12:30 |  #1

One of my colleagues saw some of my street shots and asked if I could take some pics of his Camaro, he wanted a pic of it sort of emerging from the dark looking aggressive. I told him I've never really done cars before but would be happy to see what I can do and the next day I brought in my 5D2, a couple of wide angle lenses and a tripod and we went down to the public car park to see what we could capture. Obviously there is a lot of PS involved in the shot (I think this applies to most car pics)and this is what I ended up with. He was happy and I was quite pleased. Going to shoot another guys Mustang weekend after next as he thought the pics were good as well!.

Hardest part of the edit was removing the front number plate. Took a lot of cloning.

Let me know what you think would have been better.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/595/22779751960_cac832c28e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AGYb​C9  (external link) Savs car intermediate 2.jpg (external link) by Big_g2 (external link), on Flickr

Very lucky to have a lot of nice toys :)
Flickr Site (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 6 years ago by PhotosGuy.

Nov 12, 2015 13:10 |  #2

For "sort of emerging from the dark looking aggressive", it looks like you did OK, & it's far better than most "first car pics" here. I can't say that I'm thrilled by the leaning concrete pillar growing out of the fender. Maybe it could have been off to the side a little.
Here's spot9's idea for a black Chrysler 300 in The automotive strobist setup pic thread.
My idea for a Camaro just looking aggressive. (external link)
And for the 'Stang lover, how about a '70 Mustang Fastback?

Look over the links in my Sig, and...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

big_g
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 12, 2015 13:55 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

You are right about the pillar. I was too focussed on other stuff!! I did say we shot it were it was parked in the public car park but we could have easily moved it I guess.

The Mustang Man has his own, bought it last weekend!! I will post the pics when I get them done in about 2 weeks as he is back in HK for a bit.

Will see If I can sort the pillar out. Might just look too fake if I remove it completely. Something to think about this weekend bit pleased it was an acceptable first attempt on at least 1 judgement :)

big_g
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 12, 2015 14:33 |  #4

Edited the pillar away. Will delete the really distracting area next to where it used to be tomorrow as it is 23:30 here and I am out with some street photo friends at 5:30 tomorrow so I should go to bed!!

Heres the latest version

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/595/22779751960_ee62f03081_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AGYb​C9  (external link) Savs car intermediate 2.jpg (external link) by Big_g2 (external link), on Flickr

mikeeagle
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Gallery: 1565 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 12, 2015 15:10 |  #5

I like it. Nice low standpoint, nice background.

Michiel>=-

Canon 1d MKIV - Canon 70D gripped - Canon 50D gripped (ex) 50mm II - 17-40mmL 70-200mmL 100-400mmL
flickr (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/breitlingmike/ (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 12, 2015 16:20 |  #6

I like that better, except for the bright part of the background intersecting the top of the right fender.
And in this forum, we prefer that you not delete the original images in a thread that you've started.

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
2,046 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 12, 2015 16:30 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Good shot for your first try!

It doesn't matter what you do to the image, something about it will always bother Frank. When you fix the bright area over the fender, the pipe coming out of the passenger mirror will bother him. Then the pillar on the left. Then the curb behind the car, etc...

Just take a black brush to the entire background and it will be satisfactory.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 12, 2015 18:10 |  #8

96whiteknight wrote in post #17781466 (external link)
Good shot for your first try!

It doesn't matter what you do to the image, something about it will always bother Frank. When you fix the bright area over the fender, the pipe coming out of the passenger mirror will bother him. Then the pillar on the left. Then the curb behind the car, etc...

Just take a black brush to the entire background and it will be satisfactory.

You forgot the halo around the body? If somebody didn't point those things out, you guys would never see them.

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
2,046 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 12, 2015 22:13 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

You're right.

OP should've pasted this onto a photo of the car's hood and erased the background.

socialjames
31 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 15, 2015 13:45 |  #10

big_g wrote in post #17781129 (external link)
One of my colleagues saw some of my street shots and asked if I could take some pics of his Camaro, he wanted a pic of it sort of emerging from the dark looking aggressive. I told him I've never really done cars before but would be happy to see what I can do and the next day I brought in my 5D2, a couple of wide angle lenses and a tripod and we went down to the public car park to see what we could capture. Obviously there is a lot of PS involved in the shot (I think this applies to most car pics)and this is what I ended up with. He was happy and I was quite pleased. Going to shoot another guys Mustang weekend after next as he thought the pics were good as well!.

Hardest part of the edit was removing the front number plate. Took a lot of cloning.

Let me know what you think would have been better.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Savs car intermediate 2.jpg (external link) by Big_g2 (external link), on Flickr

can't see the original photo..

big_g
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 23, 2015 13:03 |  #11

Sorry guys I am copying the links from my flickr site and haven't got all the various stages of the edit on there. Haven't worked out how to post from Lightroom (doh!)

The final version is this, I gave up at this point as my mate was well happy with the result :)

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/595/22779751960_ee62f03081_b.jpg

Next time I will remember not to remove the original, which I used as the original for the subsequent edit!

Still not totally happy with the illuminated section of background on the RHS but it I spent ages trying to darken it convincingly and nothing looked right so I gave up.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 23, 2015 13:49 |  #12

Still not totally happy with the illuminated section of background on the RHS but it I spent ages trying to darken it convincingly and nothing looked right so I gave up.

It's a lot easier if you select the edges of the car first. This is the overall best way that I've found for objects with hard edges: Selecting areas in PS.

sponsored links

2,867 views & 2 likes for this thread
First Car Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.