Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2015 (Sunday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying my first camera :P

Darkskies
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Darkskies. (2 edits in all)

Nov 15, 2015 19:54 |  #1

As the title says - buying my first camera. Tried the Nikon Sony and canons and like the canons the best.

That said... I have around $500-$1000

I've seen this guide

http://www.astropix.co​m/HTML/I_ASTROP/CAMERA​S.HTM (external link)

And this list

http://www.astropix.co​m/HTML/I_ASTROP/COMPAR​E.HTM (external link)

In terms of the product cycle are canon cameras released at the start of the year? Is there a new generation due in less than 6months

I once bought an iPhone 1 month before the new one came out and regretted it so much. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen with my camera.

Also which one would you recommend for astrophotography. I own a 14" dob tracking telescope :P I was going to connect it up and take some shots using it as well as standard shots at night of the Milky Way with a nice wide lens.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully there's a guru out there who has a good idea if I buy now that I won't be burned in 3 months when something 30% more powerful at the same price is released.

sponsored links
itsray
263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by itsray. (2 edits in all)

Nov 16, 2015 01:46 |  #2

no one really knows. sometimes they're announced at different photo events. sometimes in the beginning of the year, or middle or later. you can always check the rumor sites like canonwatch or canonrumors, but then again its just rumors. sometimes they are right, sometimes they aren't. But, to save some money always check out the refurbished section on canon's site for the best deals. They are barely used like new cameras that have the same 1yr warranty as buying a brand new one. other than the box you can't tell they are used unless you check the shutter count which is always really low. and since its straight from canon you don't have anything to worry about. and as far as for astro, the camera doesn't matter as much as the lens does, which is the case for most photography. although a full frame camera will capture more light than a crop sensor, the biggest difference is the lens really. and other accessories like trackers etc. i'm sure someone will come in and clear that up though, but if you check out the astro section, a lot of people are using older cameras and producing amazing images. also, a dslr is not like an iPhone, they last a long time producing great images once you learn how to use it, and you can always get different better lenses and that makes a big difference. even if something comes out 6 months later, just because the specs might be better doesn't mean your pictures will come out better.

And welcome.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,161 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 16, 2015 01:49 |  #3

Heya,

Refurb 6D from Canon. $1k.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

itsray
263 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 16, 2015 01:51 |  #4

MalVeauX wrote in post #17785527 (external link)
Heya,

Refurb 6D from Canon. $1k.

Very best,

then he'll just have a nice body and no lens lol

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 16, 2015 02:05 |  #5

Cameras come out every other month. Just the nature of the beast.

Thankfully the lenses matter more than the cameras do. Invest in good glass and you'll be good. Camera bodies lose a ton in value like iphones do. Lenses tend to hold on for a long long while. Some will actually increase in value over time.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

MalVeauX
13,161 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 16, 2015 02:18 |  #6

itsray wrote in post #17785528 (external link)
then he'll just have a nice body and no lens lol

He has a telescope. He wants to do astro. He doesn't want regrets.

;)

He can get a 40 STM or an old 28-135 for next to nothing and be in business for the rest.

Very best,

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,897 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Nov 16, 2015 06:35 |  #7

According to a few resources, the 7D2 is the best astrophotographic tool in the Canon arsenal at this time. You can get a refurb or a lightly used unit very close to the upper end of your budget.

That being said, there are some great options these days. A couple good reads discussing this very topic.

http://soggyastronomer​.com …ras-for-astrophotography/ (external link)
http://www.cloudynight​s.com …for-my-next-astro-camera/ (external link)
http://www.astrobin.co​m/142404/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

itsray
263 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 16, 2015 12:01 |  #8

Here is a good site as well with tips and reviews on equipment.

http://www.lonelyspeck​.com (external link)

also I know you're going to stick with canon but more people are starting to use the Sony A7s/A7sII for low light/astrophotography and filming.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,982 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2015 15:14 |  #9

There's always the EOS 60Da, which is a 60D supposedly optimised for astro, as it has an IR filter that allows better recording of some of the astronomically more important IR wavelengths. I beleive that they are part of the H emmission spectrum.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

N2bnfunn
689 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2015 15:17 |  #10

I would like to share what I did, when got my first camera, I started off with a Canon G9 and if you feel is not enough then buy you a dslr by the way I am up to a canon 1DX and I love it..

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Darkskies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 16, 2015 20:47 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #11

Looks like a winner! Thanks! I noticed on the canon wiki and rumor sites a 6d mark II isn't far away... I'm going to wait for it and save a tiny bit more to get it :) or if they discount the old 6d's enough I'll get one of those. I have a friends old canon at the moment and have loved it. Thanks for the refurb mention I'm in Australia and their site redirects and doesnt show the refurb units. Hope I get lots of Christmas money gifts :D

Can't wait to show you guys some shots of the southern skies! You can see what you're missing haha

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,982 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2015 03:09 |  #12

Darkskies wrote in post #17786654 (external link)
Looks like a winner! Thanks! I noticed on the canon wiki and rumor sites a 6d mark II isn't far away... I'm going to wait for it and save a tiny bit more to get it :) or if they discount the old 6d's enough I'll get one of those. I have a friends old canon at the moment and have loved it. Thanks for the refurb mention I'm in Australia and their site redirects and doesnt show the refurb units. Hope I get lots of Christmas money gifts :D

Can't wait to show you guys some shots of the southern skies! You can see what you're missing haha

Unfortunately the Canon refurb outlet is only avilable in the USA, and possibly Canada. The thing is that most of the members from the USA, which is quite large, seem to forget this, or maybe that there is anywhere other than the USA. Filling in your location, or even using currency units other than Dollars dosen't help either. Of course as you have now used Austrailian Dollars for many years the currency difference is lost.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MalVeauX
13,161 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 17, 2015 03:33 |  #13

Darkskies wrote in post #17786654 (external link)

Heya,

The best thing about a 6D2 release --if it ever happens-- is the lower cost of the original 6D. I wouldn't pay $2k for a 6D2 when you can get a 6D for $1k. It will not be twice as good, as twice the price.

But if you're interested in the sky, at night, a 6D is going to trump a 7D2 any day at high ISO (which is where you'll live doing astro without a tracker) or any APS-C for that matter. The 6D beats a 5D3 in high ISO by a few hairs.

I will however go ahead and throw a wrench. I know you said you're into the Canons. But if the sky really is your domain, I can't help but suggest you at least consider a Sony A7S. It's costly. But you won't find a full frame that has better ISO performance right now. Adapts and takes Canon glass just fine too.

Very best,

Darkskies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 17, 2015 07:08 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #14

Yep that's what I was thinking :) buy the 6d when the 6d2 comes out and prices drop

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,897 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 18, 2015 05:40 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #15

First why not fill out the location, we cannot suggest appropriate info without knowing your location. Secondly many people don't even know that canon won't sell their refurbs outside the USA (no not even Canada). Don't hate on the US, if you don't like it contact canon and ask them to open up their refurbished deals elsewhere, and ask people to actuallyactually fill out their profile info. That would be a much more productive suggestion than constantly degrading the US folks on the forum.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sponsored links

1,719 views & 2 likes for this thread
Buying my first camera :P
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.