Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 20, 2015 11:20 |  #4156

Pondrader wrote in post #17790695 (external link)
You could be right
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=177​90695&i=i149696537
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Damn dude!! That's not good at all! Take your pills! I'm on Benicar/Amlodipine and it's well under control. I used to take Azor, it was incredibly good, but expensive. Insurance dropped it.

sponsored links
Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 20, 2015 11:32 |  #4157

snerd wrote in post #17790718 (external link)
Damn dude!! That's not good at all! Take your pills! I'm on Benicar/Amlodipine and it's well under control. I used to take Azor, it was incredibly good, but expensive. Insurance dropped it.

And exercise more if not already doing so. You live in such a beautiful place. Take some walks (not love walks with the wifee) around that lake, with the camera a lens with you of course:lol:

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 20, 2015 11:34 |  #4158

Methodical wrote in post #17790725 (external link)
And exercise more if not already doing so. You live in such a beautiful place. Take some walks (not love walks with the wifee) around that lake, with the camera a lens with you of course:lol:

Indeed. I walk 2-3 miles "every" day. Usually at the local park, sometimes out at the wildlife refuge. Carry camera!

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 20, 2015 11:48 |  #4159

digital paradise wrote in post #17790701 (external link)
Did I read that correctly. The tech advised him to use one shot instead of AI Servo for High Speed Continuous shooting?

I saw that too but I hope the tech was referring to decreasing the drive speed instead of AF mode. I had a similar reaction when I read it. My take away was Canon does not see these reported problems as a problem at all. Out of all the cameras in Canon's line up the 1D still seems to be the most reliable camera in Servo and I guess Canon intends to keep it that way. They just should not try to market a camera's AF as anything like the 1D series it only sets customers up for an extreme disappointment. The reliability of an AF system is a combination of hardware and software working harmoniously together. Any weak link in either of these two areas is setting the stage for a disappointing result.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2015 12:10 |  #4160

butterfly2937 wrote in post #17790736 (external link)
I saw that too but I hope the tech was referring to decreasing the drive speed instead of AF mode. I had a similar reaction when I read it. My take away was Canon does not see these reported problems as a problem at all. Out of all the cameras in Canon's line up the 1D still seems to be the most reliable camera in Servo and I guess Canon intends to keep it that way. They just should not try to market a camera's AF as anything like the 1D series it only sets customers up for an extreme disappointment. The reliability of an AF system is a combination of hardware and software working harmoniously together. Any weak link in either of these two areas is setting the stage for a disappointing result.

I hope so too. I have been at 8fps since spring. Canon will never say anything about this unless they absolutely have no choice. It is not like the 1D3 which had a flawed design. There are lots of 7D2's out there doing well. They might for a FW hiccup bit never for manufacturing hiccup. No manufacturer would admit they had a bad day and some units were mis-calibrated, if that is what actually happened. Or a third party supplier delivered mirror boxes/AF assemblies and a few were out of spec. Again that is if it actually happened. One POTN member had hers replaced but she had to push hard. They expect a certain percentage of warranty returns and that is built into the price we pay for our cameras. It is like that everywhere.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Triplexbee
183 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 20, 2015 12:41 as a reply to  @ post 17790534 |  #4161

I noticed that. It was ISO10000.

Glitch in the EXIF retrieval process in AMASS I believe.

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2015 12:44 |  #4162

LOL too funny,

Methodical wrote in post #17790725 (external link)

snerd wrote in post #17790726 (external link)
Indeed. I walk 2-3 miles "every" day. Usually at the local park, sometimes out at the wildlife refuge. Carry camera!

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

8612images
736 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2015 13:53 |  #4163

A screen shot of one from the other day. Looking through a bunch, they are focused, but seem a little mushy - fine detail soft. Not as crisp as I have seen from some other posts. Also- birds in flight - it focused but lacked a fair bit of detail (similar to the sequence from DP on the gulls)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,809 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 20, 2015 16:40 |  #4164

Frodge wrote in post #17790639 (external link)
... Have we reached the limitation of sensor pixels without detriment to other function? ....

Expectations have really leapfrogged.

If we were to go back and look at the images I was posting in 2005 etc. and getting raves and ohs and aahs,. and compare the image quality with some of the images that Pondrader and others have posted here as examples of "bad" or "problematic" you'd see just how far things have come. A little off, a little noisy, etc, it was all totally par for the course a few years ago.

For better or worse we now have sensors that can only be seen correctly with the right glass, glass that shows us how bad our old sensors are, image noise so low that anything shot @ ISO 400 on an "old" DSLR looks like "poo" today.. etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,238 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 20, 2015 16:42 |  #4165

Frodge wrote in post #17790714 (external link)
I feel like I need to ask this question at this point. To those of you who have sent the camera.back several times with no good result, have you demanded a refund or replacement yet? After multiple trips back for the same problem, I think you're well in your right to do that at this point.

Fridge - I consider myself lucky in that I got a perfect unit right out of the box. When I updated to 1.0.5 my images weren't garbage but visibly inferior to 1.0.4. I rolled the firmware back and all was good again. The one thing I've been wondering through all this is what was Canon thinking by not allowing user access to the CMOS battery on this camera? I'm confident a good old fashioned hard reset would clear up a lot of these issues.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 20, 2015 17:11 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #4166

I'm not talking about the really early days of digital. I'm talking more about the last 5-6 years. It seems to have leveled off where we didn't see these sort of issues just a year ago. I guess everyone is different in what they expect. I'm personally not looking to buy really high end glass to make the body work correctly. If this is what is to come, I'll personally be buying used 18mp bodies fornabling time to come. These issues seem to also be surfacing with the 5dsr.

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 20, 2015 17:44 |  #4167

My Mark II just arrived, it is a refurbished, jumped at the deal they had for it even after reading all of Jeff's issues. Firmware is at 1.02.
It did have quite a bit of clicks on it, so wondering if it was a frustrated shooter sent it back. (4,995 clicks) My last refurb 7D I had 12 clicks.

Haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but seems like I should leave it alone for now and just shoot. Hope Jeff's camera gets back to where it was soon, didn't like the look of his blood pressure numbers!

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

patrol50
416 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by patrol50.

Nov 20, 2015 18:23 |  #4168

Pondrader wrote in post #17790695 (external link)
You could be right
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=177​90695&i=i149696537
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

crikey jeffs if thats your real bp readings :rolleyes: you need to get into that truck of yours and go get a stress test at a heart place like now and maybe get onto aspro and say micardis ( telmisartan) or similar like yesterday - and just do it hey - its the only reason some of us are still hanging around

cheers rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2015 18:24 |  #4169

lol,.. nqjudo could be right about the hard reset. Your right Jake we do expect a ton from our camera's today, maybe because they gave us great camera's and talent helps a ton lol. and I got to say moving back to 1.0.4 and removing power over night I think has made a difference. I see talk of inadequate AF but I really don't feel thats it at all, Ill still shoot right beside any 1Dx ..they better be on there game lol

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2015 18:27 as a reply to  @ patrol50's post |  #4170

yes it was real Rob, I was able to bring in down last year without any meds, but your right I have a bigger problem then any missed focus lol

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,390,094 views & 2,732 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.