Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 20 Nov 2015 (Friday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Way to cull images on Vacation

medd63
436 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by medd63.

Nov 20, 2015 22:57 |  #1

Hi Guys (and Gals),

When on vacation both my wife and I shoot lots of pictures every day. We would like to do a first edit the night of shooting. Otherwise it is a few days after we return before we look at our photos, and it can be daunting looking at thousands of photos at once, trying to decide which ones to process for the photobooks we do for all of our adventures together. I need a suggestion on the best way to cull images while on vacation. Here is my situation:

On my computer at home I have Lightroom/Photoshop CC.

I also have a laptop that currently does NOT have Lightroom/Photoshop CC installed on it. I often take this laptop with us on our trips.

We also both have iPhones and share an iPad (if that matters)

1. What would be the best way to view/cull them at the end of each day?

2. Should I upload each day's memory cards into Lightroom (after installing it on my laptop)?

3. If so, how do I get the photos from Lightroom on the Laptop to Lightroom on my PC at home? I'm unsure how they "share" data.

4. And is it relatively easy to load Lightroom/Photoshop CC onto a laptop? I haven't ever loaded a "cloud" program on two different computers before. I'm unsure how they "share" data.

I am sort of computer savvy, but not really on the technical end - so tailor your advice accordingly. ;)

Thanks for any and all help you may be able to give.

Dan

EDIT: Sorry if I mislead people with the thread title. I don't have the best way to cull images on Vacation, I'm seeking the best way to do so. There was supposed to be a "?" at the end of the title.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,532 posts
Gallery: 1879 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 21, 2015 04:50 |  #2

Heya,

Dump the cards on a laptop with Lightroom, or any software that allows for fast preview. There are other softwares for this too. Looks like you'll be buying another license key, or getting other software. You basically just want a way to preview images fast. So there are a few solutions for this, but you have to see the images to know which are obvious bin-images, and which are worth looking at again later. Lightroom stores things as a catalog. But do you really need to use Lightroom just to choose what you bin and what you keep while on vacation? You need internet connection for cloud software right? I might be wrong there, just asking, as that's an important point if it does.

FastRawViewer is like $15 and works. Again no need to edit, just view tons of photos fast, and bin the ones that are obvious non-keepers.

Perfect Browser (standalone app, or plugin to CS/LR) is like $60. Used by weddings photogs to speed up culling thousands of images for example. Great for this too. Not too expensive. Doesn't need LR or anything specific. But can import to them if necessary.

If both taking photos on vacation and stuff in the thousands per day, I would definitely have a "home base" each night where you both dump your images and get fresh cards into the cameras (having multiple cards each). Then cull the images each night for obvious bad ones.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 21, 2015 05:23 |  #3

Install Lightroom on the laptop. Import the photos into Lightroom. Cull, edit, and keyword as much as you want. Export as catalog. When you get home, import the travel catalog into your main catalog.

With the Photography package, you can have Lightroom and Photoshop installed on two computers. You only need internet connectivity once a month for the CC app to confirm your license is still valid.

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 21, 2015 08:11 |  #4

Thanks for the advice guys.

If both taking photos on vacation and stuff in the thousands per day, I would definitely have a "home base" each night where you both dump your images and get fresh cards into the cameras (having multiple cards each). Then cull the images each night for obvious bad ones.

That's the plan. We actually will have separate memory cards (32gb) for each camera each day (memory is CHEAP!). We don't really "bin" anything (if you mean discard or delete), but we would like to mark or flag the ones we wish to process.

With the Photography package, you can have Lightroom and Photoshop installed on two computers.

That's what I thought. I'll probably install Lightroom on my Laptop.

You only need internet connectivity once a month for the CC app to confirm your license is still valid

Well, the problem is the Laptop is hardly ever used, so it isn't regularly connected to the internet. How do I know WHEN it needs to be connected to verify the license?

Install Lightroom on the laptop. Import the photos into Lightroom. Cull, edit, and keyword as much as you want. Export as catalog. When you get home, import the travel catalog into your main catalog.

How to I import a catalog from my Laptop to my PC?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 21, 2015 12:07 |  #5

My wife and I travel quite a lot - I have a thin laptop with lightroom loaded on it, and I also have a portable rugged hard drive - waterproof, shockproof, mil-spec - that travels with me everywhere for back-up. We download from cards while we're off at dinner. Then when we get back from dinner, we usually spend an hour or so with a glass of wine to cull through our images before going to sleep; it's sort of become a routine for us to spend the hour before bed, or part of an afternoon flipping through some of our shots from the day.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 21, 2015 13:41 |  #6

medd63 wrote in post #17791516 (external link)
How to I import a catalog from my Laptop to my PC?

I'm on a Mac so the menu option is File-->Import from Another Catalog...
You should find the same option under one of the menus on your PC.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 21, 2015 14:41 |  #7

If it is just about culling then just use FastStone (http://www.faststone.o​rg/ (external link)). Free and easy to use and let's you see the raws. No editing the raws though - but much much faster then LR.

Donate if you love POTN

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 21, 2015 16:12 |  #8

Thanks again for the responses.

I'm on a Mac so the menu option is File-->Import from Another Catalog... You should find the same option under one of the menus on your PC

But how does one computer see the other? I don't have an in-home network set up where the two computers talk to each other. How do I import a Catalog from the Laptop to the PC? Do I export the laptop to the Adobe cloud or something?

If it is just about culling then just use FastStone (http://www.faststone.o​rg/ (external link)). Free and easy to use and let's you see the raws. No editing the raws though - but much much faster then LR.

I don't need to edit them, but i would like to "flag" the ones I want to process (or at least the ones that are worth a second look) WITHOUT deleting the others. I can't see how FastStone Image Viewer 5.5 will let me do that. Plus I don't think it will let me import my selections to Lightroom when I get home.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,665 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2015 16:29 |  #9

Take plenty of storage, cull when you get home. Enjoy your vacation and cull when you have time to mull over what you've seen.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,371 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 21, 2015 16:57 |  #10

I'm the type to delete stuff, at the very minimum, mark the keepers when on vacation. A week or two (or months) may go by with photos everyday, a ton can add up, and I agree with TS, that it's too much to process when you go home.

Some things I've done in the past:

do it every night, mark the non keepers and remove. if it didnt draw you in the first time, it was probably junk.

do it while you travel. You may be sitting on bus rides or trains while you travel. Start erasing stuff in camera. Generally I'm against this practice, however I make the exception for travel.

going to las vegas and grand canyon soon, this may be an exception though, since it's a shorter trip. Will probably do all when I get home.

Sony A7riii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 21, 2015 17:09 |  #11

medd63 wrote in post #17791892 (external link)
Thanks again for the responses.

But how does one computer see the other? I don't have an in-home network set up where the two computers talk to each other. How do I import a Catalog from the Laptop to the PC? Do I export the laptop to the Adobe cloud or something?

I don't need to edit them, but i would like to "flag" the ones I want to process (or at least the ones that are worth a second look) WITHOUT deleting the others. I can't see how FastStone Image Viewer 5.5 will let me do that. Plus I don't think it will let me import my selections to Lightroom when I get home.

Easiest way would be to use an external hard drive. Import the photos to the external drive, do your culling, keyboarding, etc, then export as catalog to the same external drive.

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 21, 2015 17:38 |  #12

I'm the type to delete stuff, at the very minimum, mark the keepers when on vacation. A week or two (or months) may go by with photos everyday, a ton can add up, and I agree with TS, that it's too much to process when you go home.

We are taking a 10 day trip to Alaska. I anticipate us each taking 500 pics per day (2 people = 1000 exposures per day) x 10 days is 10,000 images. We bracket almost everything, shoot a lot of HDRs, do large panoramas, etc. We don't want to come back and cull the photos two weeks later, knowing we have a project of 10000 images to go through. Something like that tends to not get done at all!

do it every night, mark the non keepers and remove. if it didn't draw you in the first time, it was probably junk. do it while you travel. You may be sitting on bus rides or trains while you travel. Start erasing stuff in camera. Generally I'm against this practice, however I make the exception for travel.

I agree to wanting to do it every night - hence my original post. I won't delete in camera - I don't even want to delete in LightRoom. Just flag the good ones. We each have 32 GB cards for each day of the trip.

Easiest way would be to use an external hard drive. Import the photos to the external drive, do your culling, keyboarding, etc, then export as catalog to the same external drive.

Why would I have to export the catalog to the SAME drive I import it to? I don't understand that step.

OK - so take my Laptop and one of my USB drives on my trip. Connect the USB drive to the Laptop (that will have LightRoom running on it). Using LightRoom, import pictures to the USB drive instead of the Laptop's hard drive. When I get home, hook up USB drive to my PC, and import into LightRoom. Right? Do I even have to re-import? Won't LightRoomrecognize the catalog on my USB drive when it is plugged into my PC?

Thanks for your help!

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 21, 2015 17:43 |  #13

medd63 wrote in post #17791983 (external link)
Why would I have to export the catalog to the SAME drive I import it to? I don't understand that step.

OK - so take my Laptop and one of my USB drives on my trip. Connect the USB drive to the Laptop (that will have LightRoom running on it). Using LightRoom, import pictures to the USB drive instead of the Laptop's hard drive. When I get home, hook up USB drive to my PC, and import into LightRoom. Right? Do I even have to re-import? Won't LightRoomrecognize the catalog on my USB drive when it is plugged into my PC?

Thanks for your help!

You would export to the same external drive so you can import that catalog into your main catalog. I'm assuming you have all of your images in one main catalog on your desktop and the laptop will have a catalog containing only images from your current trip. Lightroom could open the catalog on the USB drive but then you would only see the images you took on that trip, instead of adding them to your master catalog. You wouldn't be re-importing the images, you would be importing the travel catalog into your master catalog.

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 21, 2015 17:51 as a reply to  @ DGStinner's post |  #14

Thanks Dave.

I'm assuming you have all of your images in one main catalog on your desktop

I have almost all of my photos on a 2tb USB hard drive. I import NEW photos onto my PC's hard drive. Once they are processed, I move them USING LIGHTROOM, to the USB drive. Here is a screenshot of my Catalog. Does that change anything? I appreciate all the help

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 22, 2015 02:21 |  #15

medd63 wrote in post #17791892 (external link)

Here's what I would do: Look at the pictures full screen (you also can zoom) and press 'delete' for all the ones you clearly don't like. After this, go to the 'Trash' and move the deleted ones into a separate folder named 'seconds' (or anything else). At home you just import everything into LR.
This is not as sophisticated as LR and you can not use the star system. However, it is really fast and easy to use. I missed what kind of Laptop you have - but on a older computer LR is just a pain to use.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

6,062 views & 1 like for this thread
Best Way to cull images on Vacation
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.