Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Nov 2015 (Monday) 16:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Check history of lens with canon using serial number

renodcc
96 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 23, 2015 16:01 |  #1

Is there any place like this on the Internet?

Thanks for your time

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 25, 2015 07:23 |  #2

I doubt it. How would they get any information?

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,035 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 25, 2015 07:33 |  #3

Do you mean something like Carfax for lenses (i.e. see if the lens has ever been repaired)?
What information are you looking to find?

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

k4j98
92 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by k4j98.

Nov 25, 2015 07:54 |  #4

Canon could log repairs, maintenance, manufacture date, or warranty information, and I'm sure they do. Give them a call, maybe you'll find something out.

That information probably will never be in the public domain though.

renodcc
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 25, 2015 15:01 |  #5

I bought a lens in the U.S. Virgin Islands that didn't come with a warranty card.mi asked they said it came from Canada. Was wondering if it was refurbished or used.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,237 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 25, 2015 17:37 |  #6

renodcc wrote in post #17796627 (external link)
I bought a lens in the U.S. Virgin Islands that didn't come with a warranty card.mi asked they said it came from Canada. Was wondering if it was refurbished or used.

Canon lenses from Canada come with warranty cards.

Contact Canon. Give them the serial number and explain the situation. My guess is that it is "Grey" market and has no Canon warranty.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,710 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 29, 2015 18:07 as a reply to  @ msowsun's post |  #7

I've read stories here and a few other places where they stated Canon did honor the warranty on grey market items, but now that Canon is suing to try and end the grey market sales, I'm wondering if they would still honor the warranty from someone who wasn't aware it was grey market. I know the whole "buyer beware" plays into this, but I thought it was cool of Canon to honor them.

feedback

gear list

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 30, 2015 08:25 as a reply to  @ jay125's post |  #8

I am just curious, where do these "grey" gadgets come from? There are many of them here in our country and prices are really tempting. :-)

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 30, 2015 11:22 |  #9

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17801522 (external link)
I am just curious, where do these "grey" gadgets come from? There are many of them here in our country and prices are really tempting. :-)

Grey market simply means the lens was distributed for sale in a region other than the one you are buying in. Since the Asian money market is down, retailers are buying items from Canon in other countries using a depreciated currency, and selling it in the US market for a discounted price.

Canon's official stance is they will not honor warranty repairs on grey market items. There have been several individuals who have reported sending in a lens or camera body for warranty work, and still getting it done. Most grey market sellers offer their own warranty to help with some of those fears- so be sure to research the company you are buying from to see if you are willing to send them the lens or camera back if something goes wrong.

sponsored links

2,821 views & 0 likes for this thread
Check history of lens with canon using serial number
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.