Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 26 Nov 2015 (Thursday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

These Beautiful Antique Photos Were Made With Potato Starch

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2015 13:09 |  #1

http://news.nationalge​ographic.com …lery&utm_campai​gn=Content (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,743 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 27, 2015 17:27 |  #2

Thanks. The world looked much more interesting and photogenic back then, now every city and people in them looks almost identical to each other.

I wonder how the prints smelled (french fries?) :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,250 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 27, 2015 21:43 |  #3

Pekka wrote in post #17798655 (external link)
I wonder how the prints smelled (french fries?) :)

Perhaps like french fries, but they were gluten-free!

rick_reno, those allowed an interesting peep into the past. Thanks for posting.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Nathan
So boring
7,732 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Nathan.

Dec 01, 2015 09:04 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #4

I often wonder about whether this is really true. I think things look more interesting because they are less familiar. We're too accustomed to the world around us that we are desensitized to its beauty. I look back and see that the 70s and 80s made for interesting photographs, perhaps because the fashion and technology trends of those times are so identifiable. Perhaps people will look back at the 90s and 2000s and see some quirky art that some of us don't quite grasp. Or maybe it's because digital photography has numbed us all - photos are too sharp, too clear, too "perfect". The nostalgia and difficulty of capturing an image might not exist today as it did before. For these same reasons, photographers look for far-secluded regions of the world to find humanity in their photographs.

Oh yeah... thanks OP for the link. I really enjoyed looking through those photos! Will have to read the article later.  :p

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,459 views & 1 like for this thread
These Beautiful Antique Photos Were Made With Potato Starch
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.