Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 25 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Toronto

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by mikepj.

Nov 25, 2015 20:02 |  #1

I'm going to be spending a couple of days in Toronto on a business trip. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for interesting places to photograph? I'll be staying downtown near the ferry terminal, and while I'll have a car I would like to stick mostly to places within walking distance (or public transportation if something is a little further away).

I probably won't have much daylight time because I'll be working. But I will be able to spend some time in the evenings. Also looking for lens recommendations… Would it be worth bringing my 100-400, or should I just bring my wider lenses and leave the tele at home?

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
2,587 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 26, 2015 06:02 |  #2

Some suggestions

- take the ferry to island across to get a skyline shot in the evening
- university of toronto st george campus, a few subway stops from union, has some interesting architectures
- exterior shot of the art gallery of ontario

I would just bring with a wide angle lens and a tripod.

Gearlist

mikepj
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 26, 2015 19:32 as a reply to  @ kenwood33's post |  #3

Thanks for the suggestions…will definitely check these places out. It's been awhile since I've shot a skyline, and with my hotel being so close to the ferry that sounds like a perfect place to start.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

Tribe
180 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 28, 2015 22:15 |  #4

Here are mine:

- Dundas and Yonge Square [There is a subway stop here]

- Spadina Ave (intersects with Dundas) by Chinatown is an interesting area, with a view of the CN tower. Kensington Market has a lot of good food places. Highly recommend Seven Lives for sea food tacos [There is a streetcar you can ride from Dundas Square that takes you here]

- There is a pier and beach area at the back facing side of centre island that makes for good sunset pictures.

Have fun!

Claudia
Flickr (external link)
6D | 450D | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 50 f/1.4 | Canon 24-105L | Canon 10-22

Bikervon
380 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 29, 2015 08:11 |  #5

The Distillery District...east of downtown....

Just getting back into it..
Canon T3i/nifty 50// 55-250IS/10-18mmIS/28-135IS/elph320HS & a few other bits

My Flickr (external link)

mikepj
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 30, 2015 08:03 |  #6

Awesome ideas, thanks everyone. I plotted them all in Google Maps and it looks very doable over the course of 2 evenings.

It looks like there are 3 different ferries going out to Centre Island. Hanlan's looks like it would be best to hit the beach Tribe mentioned for sunset. Not sure between the other two for getting a skyline shot. Might have to check out Flickr's map to see the different viewpoints.

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,698 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2016 21:28 |  #7

I live in T.O. Sun goes down very early this time of year. Chew on this for an hour:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsi​QSNLjU (external link)

Let me know if you have any questions.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

sponsored links

3,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
Toronto
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.