Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 31 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 09:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Product Shoot pricing question

CrackedLens
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by CrackedLens.

Nov 02, 2015 18:59 |  #16

Thanks again for all this information! You will be further shocked.

No, I'm a part-time portrait photographer and have not done product photography before. I had no idea how to price out the shoot (hence my return to the forum.)

The client was adamant that he wanted to shoot for 90 minutes, and wanted 35 images for his use. He wanted RAW files, not edited jpegs, and he wanted full rights.

He also was hoping for the shoot to take place THIS Friday. Which actually isn't a huge problem. He was going to bring the product to me, and I have a studio in my home. It was going be on white infinity, no models.

In my extremely limited research I noticed that people were either charging by the hour (read up a few posts where one person says he charges $250/hr with FULL rights ) or per image - and in my area I was seeing prices ranging from $10 - all the way to $40 per image (the $40.00 was an online service.) But nowhere did I see prices for rights - and it's the rights that confused me the most. He wanted full rights.

Believe me, I know enough that I was vastly aware my quote was super low.

Kicker: The quoted price above was shot down.

The client, "Your bid is a bit richer than others I have obtained...your hourly rate is only a little higher but others don't have a per file fee or a limit to files (I capped mine at his estimated 35).

He asked me if I had any flexibility. I responded, "I think I will pass on this shoot. Thanks for considering my bid, and I am sure you will find a photographer who will be able to supply your needs within your budget".

Really? This guy found someone to give him what he wanted at LESS than the already horrendously underpriced quote than I gave him.

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 02, 2015 19:11 |  #17

CrackedLens wrote in post #17769940 (external link)
Thanks again for all this information! You will be further shocked.

No, I'm a part-time portrait photographer and have not done product photography before. I had no idea how to price out the shoot (hence my return to the forum.)

The client was adamant that he wanted to shoot for 90 minutes, and wanted 35 images for his use. He wanted RAW files, not edited jpegs, and he wanted full rights.

He also was hoping for the shoot to take place THIS Friday. Which actually isn't a huge problem. He was going to bring the product to me, and I have a studio in my home. It was going be on white infinity, no models.

In my extremely limited research I noticed that people were either charging by the hour (read up a few posts where one person says he charges $250/hr with FULL rights ) or per image - and in my area I was seeing prices ranging from $10 - all the way to $40 per image (the $40.00 was an online service.) But nowhere did I see prices for rights - and it's the rights that confused me the most. He wanted full rights.

Believe me, I know enough that I was vastly aware my quote was super low.

Kicker: The quoted price above was shot down.

The client, "Your bid is a bit richer than others I have obtained...your hourly rate is only a little higher but others don't have a per file fee or a limit to files (I capped mine at his estimated 35).

He asked me if I had any flexibility. I responded, "I think I will pass on this shoot. Thanks for considering my bid, and I am sure you will find a photographer who will be able to supply your needs within your budget".

Really? This guy found someone to give him what he wanted at LESS than the already horrendously underpriced quote than I gave him.

While I know you mentioned in your first post that he was a "savvy" customer who knew what he wanted; I'd contend that the exact opposite is the case and you're both better off by not doing this shoot together. Anyone with experience with product photography would know what the costs are (roughly) and would have an idea about usage rights.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 02, 2015 21:10 |  #18

Good for you! Don't ever be afraid to fire a client!
In the future you can save yourself a lot of wasted time & aggravation by asking two questions right at the beginning.
"What's your budget for this?" And "what are you going to use them for?"

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by njstacker22.

Nov 05, 2015 08:38 |  #19

This is why it's difficult to ask for pricing help. We have one guy saying $300 and another saying $4k :rolleyes: It's not a huge job. Price it to what you feel is fair. Charge if they want full copyright. If you think this guy can bring you a lot of work in the future make it worth his time to use you. If not, charge what you're comfortable with and move on.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

Obey
329 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2015 17:19 |  #20

Maybe found a photographer to take free product?

Canon 6D & 80D | 135 f2 L | 24-105 f4 L | 70-200 f4 L | Sigma 35 1.4 ART | Canon 85 1.8
Canon EOS 3 + Mamiya RZ67 film
BradBphoto (external link)| Instagram (external link)

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,932 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 17, 2015 03:29 |  #21

I had really similar job recently - I had to shoot heating equipment on location.

Requirements: No PS work - raw files, which afterwards will be given to a company's retouchers. I just right off the bat said - "OK. You will be getting 16-bit TIFF files for maximum info". And all the images just pushed through Lightroom for minor corrections. Easy peasy. Needless to say, your images SOOC should be good as hell, so I just charged extra and rented out additional Profoto gear [not because it's fancy, but because I am used to work with it].

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by Scott Spellman.

Nov 17, 2015 09:52 as a reply to  @ CrackedLens's post |  #22

I support your firmness in not dropping your price, but I think your response could have been much stronger. I also don't cap the file limit because I want the client to see that I offer a great value if we have an efficient shoot. I would try something like this:

"I am certainly aware that others work for less. However you will see that my work is higher quality, requires less editing, we will get more pictures finished, and overall a far better value." You need to project strong confidence in your product to win clients at a better price point.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 27, 2015 15:05 |  #23

The real problem with this "job" was that it was assumed to be with a "Savvy" client.

When I hear "savvy client" I assume one experienced in the purchasing and licensing of commercial photography.
When he is adamant that all the shots be done in 45 minutes it is a warning that he is not at all experienced in this field and is looking only for a price.
The request for RAW files is a tipoff that he has a "buddy" who will do PP.

My experience in the business is that many call to price out a job but they are inexperienced in the realities of professional image production. I price out jobs uniformly depending on what each job demands. However I never push the price down when I detect a skittish, price sensitive potential client. I actually add additional fees to the quote to insulate me from surprises and to smoke out those who think I am a pro because I bought a "good camera".

As time has passed I have been fortunate enough to have a number of repeat clients to the point that I have challenges scheduling them. The gives me a lot of freedom in being discriminatory about who I work with.

It takes time but is worth it for the elimination of stress.

STPimages
35 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 03, 2015 15:31 |  #24

I quote 1/2 day or full day rates for commercial shoots such as this. If his deal was 90 minutes, he would pay my half day rate which includes a capped number of final retouched files. Makes it easy on everyone and the client knows that he won't be nickel and dimed above his budget and you know exactly what is expected of you.

Todd Parker, CPP
STP Images
Houston, TX

sponsored links

4,569 views & 12 likes for this thread
Product Shoot pricing question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.