Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 27 Nov 2015 (Friday) 15:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade lens?

Dr.D
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 27, 2015 15:38 |  #1

So just went FF and not really familiar with wide lenses that will work with the new camera. I had been using the 10-22 with a 60D and that was fine, but now I've been looking at the 16-35 2.8 and wondering what peoples experience has been with it?
I got a little of the astro bug after I saw how impressive the low light capabilities of the 6D were. I'm using the 24-105 with it now, but want something wider and wanted to stick with a zoom since I found myself using all ranges of the 10-22 for landscapes. I also wanted the 2.8, but have been reading the F4 has better IQ? So now I have no idea what I want and need some input.
I want the 2.8 for the obvious reason of letting more light in, but is it worth it trading off the soft corners I've read about with the 2.8?

I'm open to other brands too. My ideal situation would be a wide zoom for most work and maybe a cheapish wide or fisheye for some astro work. I'm looking to spend $1,000 on this lens or a combination of maybe a used 16-35 for around 700ish and maybe a fixed wide or fisheye from another mfgr. Whats everyones input? Thanks in advance!

6D . Gripped 60D . Gripped XSI . Opteka 6.5 . Canon 10-22 . Canon 18-135 . Canon 50 1.8 MKII . Canon 24-105 f4 L . Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII L . Canon 70-300 IS USM . Sigma 150-600 . Canon 100mm Macro . Canon 2X III . 430 EXII . Manfroto 190XPROB . Manfrotto 055XPROB . Black Rapid Sport . Outback 200
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195651

sponsored links
SiriusDoggy
704 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 27, 2015 16:38 |  #2

Most astro photographers don't use zooms because they generally aren't fast enough. While 2.8 is great and plenty fast enough for most daytime stuff it just don't cut it when it comes to astrophotography unless you are also on a tracking device....more money.
Look at the new Sigma 20mm 1.4 or the Rokinon 24mm 1.4 if you are just looking to do astro-landscape type shots.

Just my 2cents worth.

Canon 5D Mark II & Mark III 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-104 4L, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, 100-400mm 5.6-6.3L, 600mm 4L, 24mm 3.5 T/S L, 16mm 2.8 Zenitar Fisheye, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 85mm T1.5 Cine set

Marcy
Goldmember
1,752 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 27, 2015 19:49 |  #3

I like the 16-35 f2.8 it works well for star trails and tracking - and get good night shots - but if you are looking to be more serious I have heard the the Rokinon 24 1.4 is good- the 16-35 is a great landscape lens too for day time work

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,873 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 27, 2015 20:14 |  #4

Heya,

You can get away with F4 with the 6D for astro.

But if astro is your overall goal, I would suggest you start shopping for a tracker rather than lens-crawling and just relying on high ISO. A tracker opens impossible doors be relieving you of the limitation of shutter speed and star trails. Then you can use wide lenses, or even telephoto lenses, for 3~4 minutes, instead of just bursts of 20~30 seconds at high ISO and relying on fast aperture and high ISO to achieve those images.

For budget, check out a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer. Inexpensive. Makes any lens you have a good lens for astro.

If you do want to stick with high ISO and a fast lens, look to the Samyang/Rokinon 24mm F1.4. It's not just sharp and fast, it's ideal property when it comes to astro is it's coma control. This lens bests the 24LII for this even. It's the best 24mm F1.4 lens for astro right now essentially. I would get this twice over, compared to a 16-35 F2.8. It's soft at F2.8 and it's corners are not great at F2.8 and it has not-good-coma-control. Basically a sloppy lens for astro. You'd be better off with a 16-35 F4L IS frankly as the F2.8 zoom isn't sharp until F4 anyways. This is why a prime is much more ideal, to get 2 more stops of light, without sacrificing sharpness and coma control.

I'd get a 14 F2.8 & a 24 F1.4 by Samyang for astro long before getting a 16-35 F2.8 of any flavor frankly. And really, I just suggest you get a tracker instead, and just use any glass you want, even long glass, so you're not limited to wide field astro and not bound to short exposures at really high ISO.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 29, 2015 02:53 |  #5

Another vote on Samyang 24mm F1.4
Also I don't think anyone with Astro in mind, should be without a Samyang 14mm F2.8 (Must). And at recent deals about $250 on amazon, that comes as no brainer.

I happened to have Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 and though lens is designed for Crop sensor, there is no harm what so ever to use it on FF and at 16mm picture is perfect as you go wider, you will have black corners showing up (Not vignette), but still its is a usable, high quality glass at wide open F. A perfect lens for landscape, otherwise specially in your likely to be in the bag, cropped sensor body (Did anyone mentioned SL1 for under $300 with 2 lenses was a norm for this BF deals? That is a microscopic DSLR with touch screen and good Sensor Digic 5, body with absolutely no added weight or needed space to what you already pack).

Then no matter what you do and what you have, your gallery suddenly moves to several higher steps, the moment you get your Tracking device (Whether the lightest mobile type or solid heavy weight champs or a piggy on a big telescope) and there is no way around it. You must gather the precious scanty photons and that comes only by virtue of time and not F only.

Recommendations for initial approach:
1- Get Samyang (Or any other version of same lens rebrand s.a. Rokinon).
2- Get the iOptron 3302W or if thinking of using a bit heavier glass and lesser ease of mobility: Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mount (Complete Set).

I assume you already have a steady tripod so skipped that.

Your total cost? Well under $1K and you have all the tool to produce NASA quality images.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 29, 2015 18:59 |  #6

samsen wrote in post #17800110 (external link)
Also I don't think anyone with Astro in mind, should be without a Samyang 14mm F2.8 (Must). And at recent deals about $250 on amazon, that comes as no brainer.

............... .

totally and utterly agree
awesome lens

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links

2,101 views & 2 likes for this thread
Upgrade lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.