Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 10 Nov 2015 (Tuesday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from 70D, 7DmkII or 6D?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,057 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 01, 2015 12:58 |  #46

mcluckie wrote in post #17800750 (external link)
Teleconverters are no answer, get get a good sharp image and crop the hell out of a full frame image.

That's all very well, but you can run out of resolution very quickly that way. Crop on of the current 22 MP FF bodies down to match the FoV of a Canon crop, and you are down to only 3000×2000 pixels or so. If you needed to crop the image from the "crop" camera because you were a bit FL limited on that camera, then you could be in real trouble. I now shoot with the Sigma 150-600 on my 50D and still often need to crop significantly while shooting at 600mm. I'll often crop 1/3rd off the length of the edges, so going from 4752×3168 pixels to 3168×2112 pixels. Repeat that crop on the FF sensor and you are down to 2001×1334 pixels, as in each case you are using the same area of the sensor to form the image. I really don't think I am going to get nearly as good an image from the 2001×1334 pixels of the FF sensor, as I am going to get from 3168×2112 from the crop body. The newer bodies are going to give me a few extra pixels here and there with their 18-20 MP sensors.

Oh and to not be FL limited I would need to be shooting a 900mm lens on the crop body, and a massive 1350mm on FF. Unfortunately the subjects are a fixed size, and I cannot get any closer to them, the CAA says so!

So really get an FL that will allow you to fill the frame, or if you can't get the FL, get a higher LINEAR resolution sensor. A good converter on a quality lens should at least allow you to get close to the needed FL while maintaining a decent number of pixels. If I could get a decent 250-1000mm lens, with the handling of the 150-600 I might consider going FF. Or of course there is the 5DS with the same linear resolution as the crop bodies, and that is also a viable solution, although currently out of my price bracket.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,140 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2015 14:44 |  #47

mcluckie wrote in post #17800750 (external link)
For sports AF and Canon lens corrections, the 5D3.
For everything else, including sheer value, the 6D

Teleconverters are no answer, get get a good sharp image and crop the hell out of a full frame image.
Things like flip-out screens and WiFi are non-issues.
Save your lens money; the 24-70 lens is generally un-needed, except for wedding guys.

My disclaimer is I prefer MF for everything except sports and journalism. I use my Canon zooms and 5D3 for Clients, but for everything else I use primes and could care less about the AF of the 5D3.

Let me add some objectivity to what seems like a very limited view..

- A good teleconverter with a good lens will not cause any really noticeable detriment to your photos. They are very, very good tools especially for those wanting larger prints or more reach.
- A 24-70 can be great for many things, including sports
- A flip out LCD is almost mandatory for good macro shots depending on the person and their personal afflictions/mobility.
- Wifi is almost mandatory during portrait sessions, being able to show parents during a senior portrait shoot shots live on a tablet is a differentiator from other photographers.
- The 5D3 is outstanding for sports, the AF was one of the major game changers for the 5D series. It was the one thing everyone harped about on prior 5D models.

Sometimes it is good to expand one's horizons and not put everyone else into the same limited shooting situations you are currently involved with.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 01, 2015 17:31 |  #48

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17803521 (external link)
A good teleconverter with a good lens will not cause any really noticeable detriment to your photos.

That's my experience as well.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17803521 (external link)
Wifi is almost mandatory during portrait sessions, being able to show parents during a senior portrait shoot shots live on a tablet is a differentiator from other photographers.

Is this really a thing now? I don't shoot senior portraits, but I'm a little surprised that more parent input/micromanaging of the shoot would be something that any portrait photographer would invite. For commercial studio shoots, shooting tethered and displaying on a monitor for review makes sense because it's typically either for a skilled art or creative director to review (if the photographer is realizing their vision), or for an assistant to double check focus and exposure. But in the case of a senior portrait shoot, the parents (clients) have hired a particular photographer for his style, and I'd expect them to trust the photographer's judgement, right?

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 01, 2015 17:56 |  #49

If you're going with a two camera setup, and you're happy with your 70D for sports, the 6D is the logical choice for an additional camera. You'd have a FF/crop combo that can be advantageous in different situations. You'll also have the BIG advantage of the button layouts being the same on the 70D and 6D, making the transition nearly seamless.

I mention this because I've shot with a 60D/5DIII combo for a couple of years, and it's distracting in the moment when using cameras with two different button layouts. I've upgraded to a 7D Mark II and this was one of the things that sealed the deal.

As for swapping to a one camera setup, the 5D Mark III is remarkably good at shooting nearly anything. Obviously it excels and static subjects, portraits, and weddings, but I've also shot a season of soccer and softball with it now and it did great. The AF is as good or better than the 1D Mark III that I sold prior to getting it. I lost a bit of fp sin the swap, but it still does admirably.

As far as what to pick?

If I'm getting paid for my work and have to deliver on a deadline (can't reschedule, like the weddings I occasionally shoot), I'd never only have one camera. So if it's a choice of 6D/70D or 5D3 alone, and I didn't absolutely need something the 5D3 has... I'd go with the two camera setup. You can always upgrade later. Once the 5D4 comes out there will be a lot of lightly used 5D3's out there for decent prices.

GEAR LIST

bih92
20 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by bih92.

Dec 01, 2015 19:51 as a reply to  @ post 17785867 |  #50

nice shots ! nba d league also a plus !:lol::-P .. since you shoot sports id say go with 7dii the focus system is really great lots of customization plus you have 2 card slots

Sony a99 24-70 2.8 zeiss , Canon 7d 15-85mm , Canon 7d ii 24-70 f4

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,140 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 01, 2015 23:04 as a reply to  @ absplastic's post |  #51

The last few I have done, the parent, usually the mother, has come along. They sometimes like to get a shoot of the 2 of them together and I don't begrudge them that. My wife, also my assistant, will walk with the parents and show only those shots I like and transmit over, and we get other ideas based on the input. It also make some of the more nervous kids more at ease. It's a nice touch that gets me a bit more business so I do it.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 02, 2015 06:49 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #52

I agree, with my 70D and now my 6D, the WiFi connection to a tablet is very useful for previewing composition and giving the parent and son/daughter an idea of what the shot looks like. Doing so tends to put everyone at ease.

This is why I like the WiFi feature in the 70D and 6D.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

medd63
447 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 02, 2015 08:24 |  #53

Yep - Wifi is a useful feature, not a gimmick and unnecessary, as some have said.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,208 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 02, 2015 09:05 |  #54

medd63 wrote in post #17804433 (external link)
Yep - Wifi is a useful feature, not a gimmick and unnecessary, as some have said.

Again, eye of the beholder. GPS and WiFi are useless to me.

medd63
447 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 02, 2015 11:18 |  #55

I guess each to his own. The Custom Functions and Program mode on the mode dial are useless to me. There are some who would say that Autofocus is useless. ;)

Its a good thing our cameras are so versatile. :)

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 02, 2015 12:44 |  #56

Wi-Fi on the 6D would be a lot more useful if I could get the 6D to communicate directly with the Macbook, so that I could do wireless tether shooting on location where there is no Wi-Fi network to connect to. The 6D can operate like a Wi-Fi hotspot for smart phones to connect to, but none of my Wi-Fi-equipped computers recognize it, to use the wireless tethering I have to go through the painful process of getting the 6D on my local LAN every time. This feature appears to be in its infancy, as the connection process and associated menu system are not as well organized or intuitive as most settings on the camera. Even with the manual, it's not 100% clear.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

medd63
447 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 02, 2015 13:10 |  #57

Very true. I have a 6D, an iPad and an iPhone 6s.

When I turn on WiFi, the camera will communicate with the iPad OR iPhone, but not both. :(

I like to stream the pictures to the iPad to check focus and things like blown highlights. The 8.9" retina screen is just a "little" better than the camera's LCD. ;)

But I also like to use my phone to act as a shutter release and to move around the focus point.

I would also like to stream to my Wife's iPhone - assuming she is in the WiFi range, which she usually is when we are shooting.

I wish I could do all of these things at the same time, but you have to pick just one device at a time currently.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,140 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 02, 2015 15:38 |  #58

I use the eyefi card, and have it set up so that any time I protect an image, it transmits it to my Samsung tablet. This way, only those I want the client to see as we progress go to the tablet. I have to run the eyefi app to do this, and the tablet connects to the eyefi card.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by Lyndön.

Dec 02, 2015 17:07 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #59

I've done that with my iPad Air 2 as well. It works pretty well, but has a few connection issues from time to time. It's probably user error, bc I only use it like that occasionally, and that means I have to relearn how to use it every time.

GEAR LIST

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 05, 2015 08:01 as a reply to  @ Lyndön's post |  #60

Over the holiday I picked up a 6D with the intention of keeping the 70D as a second body for sports/action photography. Since people say the 11pt autofocus system is considered inferior for sports/action, I thought I would use the 70D for those cases where I want the extra reach and better AF system.

Well, after shooting a sporting event today with the 6D, I'm now starting to think I won't need the 70D. The 6D did a fine job with AF tracking of moving subjects. I got just as many if not more keepers with the 6D than I usually get using the 70D. Not to mention the FF sensor just provides even more stunning images. About the only thing I would miss is the flip-out touch screen.

Addressing an earlier post to this thread about cropping a picture and a FF vs a Crop, I found I can crop an image just as much on the 6D as with my 70D because the image is so good to begin with.

I may be selling my beloved 70D and just keeping the 6D for now. I'll also be keeping an eye out for what Canon has in store for the 6D mark ii.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

sponsored links

13,105 views & 21 likes for this thread
Upgrade from 70D, 7DmkII or 6D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.