Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you use back button focus?"
Yes
84.3%
No
14.1%
What is back button focus?
1.6%

185 voters, 185 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Back Button AF?

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 02, 2015 21:45 |  #31

jlstan wrote in post #17805377 (external link)
once you go Back button you never go back. Its also funny to watch someone use your camera and not be able to get it to focus :)

I once got the same satisfaction watching someone trying to boost my VW GTI who didn't know to plunge the shifter to get it in reverse. I had a lot of fun with that.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 02, 2015 22:16 |  #32

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17805354 (external link)
hypothetical situation;

shooting a car at a race track.... back button focus onto it, hold button in, click shutter - car moves from bright section of track to dark section, you can release shutter and click again for new exposure without loosing focus lock?

Yes

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 02, 2015 22:54 |  #33

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #17805323 (external link)
Simplicity for n00bs like me that have never used BBAF?

Please don't take this wrong, but learning how to do something wrong means you have to UN-learn before you can learn to do it right.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,120 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 02, 2015 22:55 |  #34

I focus and recompose a lot and back button is the way to go. It eliminates the possibility of stutter finger, the accidental refocus when engaging the shutter. Once you get used to it you will wonder why the two functions were ever combined in one button anyway.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 02, 2015 23:01 |  #35

gonzogolf wrote in post #17805454 (external link)
I focus and recompose a lot and back button is the way to go. It eliminates the possibility of stutter finger, the accidental refocus when engaging the shutter. Once you get used to it you will wonder why the two functions were ever combined in one button anyway.

Exactly. And someday Canon will fix the annoyance that is having to go back to shutter-button focus to do anything remotely. I always forget to turn in on, and always forget to turn it off! (Feeble minded, my wife would say!) BBAF should be the default status. According to this poll, 90%+ of us use BBAF.

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 02, 2015 23:06 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #36

I'm actually REALLY looking forward to getting my new camera and if the ergonomics of the A6000 work then from the sounds of it i will get on the bandwagon!

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 02, 2015 23:09 |  #37

Um, Do Sony Cameras have this option?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,177 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 02, 2015 23:10 |  #38

Bassat wrote in post #17805457 (external link)
Exactly. And someday Canon will fix the annoyance that is having to go back to shutter-button focus to do anything remotely. I always forget to turn in on, and always forget to turn it off! (Feeble minded, my wife would say!) BBAF should be the default status. According to this poll, 90%+ of us use BBAF.

What do you mean by remotely? When using a remote? I use BBF and I have no problem using a remote. I just tap the BB to focus when I set up the shot in the viewfinder and release the shutter with the remote.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,177 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 02, 2015 23:13 |  #39

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17805464 (external link)
Um, Do Sony Cameras have this option?

Buttons? Those fancy Sony sensors don't need no stinking buttons!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 02, 2015 23:14 |  #40

I think he means IF you want the camera to re focus when you trigger remotely.
Of course this entirely depends on the situation which you would use, I find preset focus is what i use more often, but not always.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 02, 2015 23:16 |  #41

Yeah, from what i can see (via youtube) there is the option for BBAF.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 02, 2015 23:17 |  #42

nqjudo wrote in post #17805466 (external link)
What do you mean by remotely? When using a remote? I use BBF and I have no problem using a remote. I just tap the BB to focus when I set up the shot in the viewfinder and release the shutter with the remote.

You're almost there. Now try hooking up your camera to a computer. EOS Utility allows me do everything to control my camera, the only requirement is that I have to have focus assigned to the shutter button. Focus is done by hovering over the on-screen shutter button. Which means you have to have the shutter set up to do focus. If you have BBAF enabled, you have no way to focus your camera from the computer.

Either EOS Utility should be smart enough to know I want focus when I hover, and do it no matter how the camera is set up, or EOS Utility needs a back-button.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 02, 2015 23:21 |  #43

Bassat wrote in post #17805474 (external link)
You're almost there. Now try hooking up your camera to a computer. EOS Utility allows me do everything to control my camera, the only requirement is that I have to have focus assigned to the shutter button. Focus is done by hovering over the on-screen shutter button. Which means you have to have the shutter set up to do focus. If you have BBAF enabled, you have no way to focus your camera from the computer.

Either EOS Utility should be smart enough to know I want focus when I hover, and do it no matter how the camera is set up, or EOS Utility needs a back-button.

Likewise with DSLR Controller on Android, pretty much need to be set to shutter release for full functionality. At least in that case it puts up a nice message on your phone to tell you!

Sadly, you don't get a text telling you to set it back when you disconnect ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,177 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 02, 2015 23:23 |  #44

Bassat wrote in post #17805474 (external link)

Ahhhh. That kind of remotely. Yeah, that does sound a little unfortunate. Just to play devil's advocate though I'm going to agree with your wife. :lol:

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 02, 2015 23:53 |  #45

You are ALL WRONG.

There, did I get your attention. :-)

I shoot 95% sports. For years I've used BBF. I used it all the time for every situation from sports to scenery.

But I'm switching back to shutter release focus for now. When using BBF I notice an increased tendency to get blurry pics from camera shake as I "slap" that shutter button to get images. I've been able to see camera motion blur at shutter speeds faster than 1/250 with a 50mm lens. I think part of the problem is that the shutter button has to travel the full distance which increases the odds that motion affecting the camera.

The second thing I've noticed is that my timing seems a tad slow with BBF. Again, the shutter has to travel through its full range to capture the image and it takes more time.

So I'm putting AF back on the shutter button. This means I'll have the button 1/2 pressed and will have a shorter travel to both reduce the shot delay and reduce the likelihood of shaking the camera. Time will tell if the experiment is a success or not.

I'm setting up the back button to be a focus lock. So, if I want to focus / recompose, I put the center AF point on the subject, focus with shutter 1/2 press, then press & release the back button. Release the shutter, recompose and then take the shot. It will be slower but I do very few of these shots where speed is of the essence.

So there you go. I guess I'm a recovering BBF-aholic.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links

28,123 views & 114 likes for this thread
Back Button AF?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.