Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 08 May 2006 (Monday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where's Nifty?! #2

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by hawaiiboy.

Dec 02, 2015 03:41 |  #9586

Kasrielle wrote in post #17631873 (external link)
Yea!! I just heard from photorider, and Nifty is coming to me!!

Apparently it will be on the way soon.......hopefully. I am looking forward to seeing your images.

https://www.flickr.com​/gp/hawaiiboy/6V74P7 (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/hawaiiboy59/ (external link)
Kevin

sponsored links
kbColorado
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 02, 2015 09:50 |  #9587

Who doesn't love a happy ending ;-)a

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,040 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 02, 2015 10:23 |  #9588

photorider wrote in post #17804086 (external link)
Some people are so completely irresponsible!!! So nifty has been dusted of and will be taken to the post office tomorrow to find a more appropriate host. There ultimately is no good excuse for his neglect. So I will simply apologize for his absence and send him along. I am sorry for this and will follow the thread but no longer host as I am apparently very bad at it. :oops:

photorider wrote in post #17804091 (external link)
This PUNK owns his own nifty so you may want to watch how you slander others. Nifty is moving on and it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with you. BTW if you care to be a big shot I would be more than willing to discuss this with our lawyers. Charge me with theft of a $100 lense and I will charge you with slander and see who's life has a bigger impact on it.

Things most likely would not have gotten so ugly if you had answered my pm's and the others that were sent to you. This is a group activity and you have a responsibility to the group if you want to participate. It has been a very long time since we have heard from you.. I believe that I first contacted you back in June. I agree that some of the language in this thread is extreme and I do not condone it.

Let's get back on track here and have some fun. I know that all of us have been very frustrated with the long stall of 4 out of 5 Nifties... That said, Let Us Move On...

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 02, 2015 10:29 |  #9589

Can someone just send me a nifty already?! lol
I'm ready to take some photos! When I get it, I will be taking photos that weekend and mailing it back out the following Monday.  :p

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

KurtB
208 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 02, 2015 10:44 |  #9590

BlakeC wrote in post #17804563 (external link)
Can someone just send me a nifty already?! lol
I'm ready to take some photos! When I get it, I will be taking photos that weekend and mailing it back out the following Monday.  :p

Seeing this, being new to the game, and while patiently waiting for my turn with nifty, I will ask:

"What is the suggested/reasonable timeframe to hold on to nifty before sending it along to the next person on the list?"

A one weekend turnaround, like BlakeC has planned, may be a little quick, but depending on the season when one finally is sent to me, I figure a few weeks to a month should be me plenty of time to figure out something creative, but I did not want to hold on to it longer than what is expected.

7Dmk2, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS III, Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, a few other cheap lenses, lots of little stuff, flashes, stands, and almost enough brains to be considered dangerous :confused:

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by BlakeC.

Dec 02, 2015 10:52 |  #9591

KurtB wrote in post #17804573 (external link)
Seeing this, being new to the game, and while patiently waiting for my turn with nifty, I will ask:

"What is the suggested/reasonable timeframe to hold on to nifty before sending it along to the next person on the list?"

A one weekend turnaround, like BlakeC has planned, may be a little quick, but depending on the season when one finally is sent to me, I figure a few weeks to a month should be me plenty of time to figure out something creative, but I did not want to hold on to it longer than what is expected.

If you ask ME.... no more than a month to go from person A to Person B, person b shoots a few shots, then sends it off to person C is a reasonable time frame. It looks to me like people are not giving this group the attention they should. They get the lens, it sits there because they can't find an hour to go shoot some photos, and they don't care that others are waiting.

I feel like people just let it sit there until they find time. No, like joayne said, you decided to sign up and be a part of this group. You have a responsibility to participate. You need to make time to use the nifty so it can be passed on. If you cannot find time within 2 week of having nifty, you need to send it on. The quicker you send it on the quicker it gets back to you and this thread can be more than people just asking where nifty is.

I have been on the list for the better part of a year and do not feel that I am any closer to being able to participate.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,763 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 02, 2015 10:59 |  #9592

photorider wrote in post #17804091 (external link)
This PUNK owns his own nifty so you may want to watch how you slander others. Nifty is moving on and it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with you. BTW if you care to be a big shot I would be more than willing to discuss this with our lawyers. Charge me with theft of a $100 lense and I will charge you with slander and see who's life has a bigger impact on it.

IMAGE: http://media-hearth.cursecdn.com/attachments/1/946/635283153724530229.gif

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,040 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 02, 2015 12:13 |  #9593

OK... as to length of time with Nifty...

It depends. Are we seeing photos? Is there participation?
Some have had a Nifty for more than a month and continue to post photos long after it has been sent forward. We love that!
Some post 1 photo and that is the last we hear for months ... We DON'T love that!

Listen, we all know that life can deal out some bad times for some people. It has happened here. I'm sure for Ron Bailey, POTN was very low on his list.
We have to have some empathy for our fellow human beings. We also feel like slapping some of them upside the head on occasion. Let's be a bit slow to judge, but let's also be responsible to the group.

So how long should one keep Nifty?
If you know that you might NOT have time to shoot and post, move your name down the list. Be honest. Maybe you are not in the mood, are ill, have no interest in photography at the moment.. Move Your Name Down the List. We can keep it moving that way. It also keeps the thread moving and gains some interest around the POTN community and we get more people to sign up. Because things were SO SLOW.. People UnSigned. That's not what we want. We want to see photos of what people do and where they live! That's the whole idea.

I'm not going to put a time limit on hosting. I also expect us to be Grown Ups and hope that we, as Grown Ups, know when it's time to move Nifty on.
Shoot, Post, and Put it in the Post.. Rinse, Repeat

Get It?

Now let's all play nice and have some fun...

Shoot, Post, and Put it in the Post.. Rinse, Repeat....

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 02, 2015 12:26 |  #9594

joayne wrote in post #17804681 (external link)
OK... as to length of time with Nifty...

It depends. Are we seeing photos? Is there participation?
Some have had a Nifty for more than a month and continue to post photos long after it has been sent forward. We love that!

So say we are shooting, posting, and participating...how long should we keep it? I could shoot and post several times a week indefinitely.

Blake C

BambersImages
Cream of the Crop
9,572 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 02, 2015 12:58 |  #9595

BlakeC wrote in post #17804705 (external link)
So say we are shooting, posting, and participating...how long should we keep it? I could shoot and post several times a week indefinitely.

If you are posting interesting photos regularly, you can keep it for a month or more. Where it is a problem is if you keep it and don't post anything.
You can also take lots and lots of photos and continue to post after you have sent it on to the next person.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,040 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by joayne.

Dec 02, 2015 14:10 |  #9596

Blake.. indefinitely is a long time..
I think Clare has it right..

Keep in mind others also are waiting..
Think of how you have felt while waiting... :rolleyes:

If you've shot a lot, keep posting, but Put it in the Post..
You can sign up again as other have done..

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Kasrielle.

Dec 05, 2015 14:23 |  #9597

Well I am very happy to report - Nifty Canada has arrived!! I have tested him and he is working great. Now I just have to hope that the rain will stop in the next few days so I can take some pics!

Since I added my name to the nifty list I have switched to Fuji and sold all my Cannon gear except for my 50D. Picking it up I'm noticing how big, heavy, and loud it is! But I'm excited to see what the old 50D and Nifty can do...

www.photosbykas.com (external link)
my Flickr Page (external link)
500px.com/Kasrielle (external link)

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2015 15:18 as a reply to  @ Kasrielle's post |  #9598

I am looking forward to seeing your shots.

https://www.flickr.com​/gp/hawaiiboy/6V74P7 (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/hawaiiboy59/ (external link)
Kevin

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 05, 2015 16:04 |  #9599

Still no word from Ron Bailey. He still has not opened my PM I sent on the 28th of November. I hope everything is OK with him since he had those heart surgeries.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 05, 2015 16:12 |  #9600

I'm not quite sure what's going on with ITW either. This person has had it since about the 16th of October and still hasn't posted any photos.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

2,550,250 views & 5,976 likes for this thread
Where's Nifty?! #2
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.