Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 27 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 01:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND mannetti21 (showing now: mannetti21)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money10
Bokeh8.5
Sharpness9.5
Contrast9
Focusing9
Must Have8
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by mannetti21

alfgardner
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 28, 2015 11:07 |  #31

Thanks for the review and comments. I primarily do landscape photography and recently bought the 5DSR. Now I'm in the process of upgrading my glass. I'm blown away with the IQ of my new Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Now I'm looking to upgrade my Canon 24 - 105 F/4 L, the kit lens that came with my 5DMII. I have been strongly considering the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, and recently learned about the subject Tamron SP 24 - 70. Has anyone compared both lenses with the 5DS or 5DSR? I hear that you need super sharp lenses with the 5DSR. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. At the same time, I hate to pay too much. Thanks.

sponsored links
mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 28, 2015 11:37 |  #32

alfgardner wrote in post #17686409 (external link)
Thanks for the review and comments. I primarily do landscape photography and recently bought the 5DSR. Now I'm in the process of upgrading my glass. I'm blown away with the IQ of my new Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Now I'm looking to upgrade my Canon 24 - 105 F/4 L, the kit lens that came with my 5DMII. I have been strongly considering the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, and recently learned about the subject Tamron SP 24 - 70. Has anyone compared both lenses with the 5DS or 5DSR? I hear that you need super sharp lenses with the 5DSR. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. At the same time, I hate to pay too much. Thanks.

I can't speak to this lens paired with the 5DS, but I don't think this would be the best choice for a dedicated landscape lens for a couple of reasons. While I think the corner sharpness is good for 99% of tasks, landscape would be that 1%. Even with small apertures, the corners aren't exactly razor sharp. Secondly, you are paying for f/2.8 and VC (image stabilization) with this lens...how much will you actually use those premium features for landscape. Finally, while 24mm is wide, there are many times when it hasn't been wide enough for vast landscape shots or interior shots.

Therefore, if you are looking for a lens to serve primarily landscape duty, I would recommend one of Canon's 16-35mm options. If you are set on a 24-70 lens, I don't think the small improvement in edge sharpness is enough to justify purchasing the Canon over the Tamron.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

alfgardner
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 28, 2015 14:34 as a reply to  @ mannetti21's post |  #33

Again thanks, and yes, for landscape photography the 5DSR would be mounted on a sturdy tripod with IS turned off. I have been very happy with the Canon 24 - 105 F/4 L and its focal range on the 5DMII. I'm looking for a sharper lens to fill in that range. Another question...Is the IQ (ie. edge sharpness) of the Tamron SP 24 - 70 that much better than the Canon 24 - 105 F/4 L to justify the cost of the Tamron?

When I need a landscape shot in the 16 - 35mm range, I mount the 24 - 105 and more often the 70 - 200 in a portrait mode and shoot and stitch a panorama. The results have been most satisfactory and I end up with a huge file to work with. I also already have the Canon 17 - 40 f/4 L lens. The cost of the 5DS/SR body is a relatively small portion of the entire system cost when you factor in the cost of new and very expensive glass necessary to justify a 50mp camera.

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by mannetti21.

Aug 28, 2015 17:20 |  #34

alfgardner wrote in post #17686652 (external link)
Again thanks, and yes, for landscape photography the 5DSR would be mounted on a sturdy tripod with IS turned off. I have been very happy with the Canon 24 - 105 F/4 L and its focal range on the 5DMII. I'm looking for a sharper lens to fill in that range. Another question...Is the IQ (ie. edge sharpness) of the Tamron SP 24 - 70 that much better than the Canon 24 - 105 F/4 L to justify the cost of the Tamron?

In my opinion, yes...sorta. :-) I say sort of because for an extra $200 you not only get better overall sharpness (especially at mid-frame and edges), but you get the added benefit of f/2.8 (not only for DOF but for improved ability to AF in low-light), and in my experience, a better image stabilization system. In real-life shooting, I was able to get 2 full stops worth of IS with the Canon, and a solid 3-stops with the Tamron. So again, considering you are looking at about $1000-$1200, it would make sense for me to get the Tamron over the 24-105.

If you are looking for a direct replacement for the 24-105, as I was, then the Tamron fits nicely. If you are looking to improve your lens lineup strictly for landscape, I think there are better options.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by garbidz.

Oct 05, 2015 14:03 |  #35

I was hesitating for months between the Tamron and the two versions of Canon but then it became clear that at f/4.0 max you lose autofocus in low light with the 5DIII. It is annoying. The second poit was that due to the pollen situation I had to take asthma inhalators. Those things make your hands shake, there is nothing you can do about it...well, you can drink less coffee but that's about it.

I wasn't happy having to decide avoiding negatives instead of chasing positives but now after ten days with the Tamron I have no second thoughts. As it is, I do not need the inhalations any more but I had to go through some eye surgery instead. So...patience.

From the little experience I managed to get with the Tamron, it most definitely beats the old Canon 24-70 version hands down.
The VC is actually useful making sharp shots at 70mm possible with as long as 1/15 sec. There is vignetting, there is an LR profile to control it. Will it last me ten years like the old Canon? Will I last ten years? Will I be able to sell it? Should i paint a red ring around it or cover it with camo? Or just paint over the Tamron logo...

No, I just wait to get my eyesight back and go shooting.
Hmmm...a camo cover? That would be cool...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bag

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 05, 2015 18:16 |  #36

garbidz wrote in post #17733873 (external link)
The VC is actually useful making sharp shots at 70mm possible with as long as 1/15 sec.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by garbidz in
./showthread.php?p=177​33873&i=i267662440
forum: Lens Reviews

That's a very good point that many people tend to miss. For the 24-50ish range, one could make a strong argument that stabilization is likely unnecessary, but at 70mm it becomes very useful. For example, when indoors and shooting people in poorly lit environments, I'll often set the camera (Auto ISO menu) to choose a shutter no slower than 1/60. The next option slower is 1/30 (too slow for moving people), and the next option faster is 1/125 (a bit too fast, forcing me to make the trade off of higher ISO). So, because of Canon, I'm essentially stuck with 1/60. The VC ensures that camera-shake isn't going to be an issue.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by garbidz.

Oct 05, 2015 19:59 as a reply to  @ mannetti21's post |  #37

The LensCoat camo protective sleeve for this Tamron is not on the shelves yet but can be preordered at BH at 80-some dollars.
A camo neoprene skin for the 5DIII is only 30 bucks, I have get one of those, is is so seventies!
About the VC, of course it will not slow down moving subjects. In low light you can cranck down the ISO a couple of steps and with the current 5DIII sensor it makes a difference.

I do not think the VC/IS should become a religious question. If you see the need, here it is and the price is right.

bag

aikijoe12
47 posts
Joined May 2015

Dec 07, 2015 15:03 |  #38

hello everyone... heard so much about this great things about his lens but wanted to know if this will fit on a Canon Rebel SL1? I was told that it was meant for a full frame camera...

JOE

Ephur
618 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 07, 2015 22:07 as a reply to  @ aikijoe12's post |  #39

It will work on a Canon SL1, or any other Canon body that accepts EF or EF-S lenses. It's made for full frame cameras, but is compatible with the Canon crop sesnors as well.

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 08, 2015 09:16 |  #40

aikijoe12 wrote in post #17810582 (external link)
hello everyone... heard so much about this great things about his lens but wanted to know if this will fit on a Canon Rebel SL1? I was told that it was meant for a full frame camera...

Ephur wrote in post #17811063 (external link)
It will work on a Canon SL1, or any other Canon body that accepts EF or EF-S lenses. It's made for full frame cameras, but is compatible with the Canon crop sesnors as well.

As Ephur stated it will fit and work. That said since the SL1 is a crop body the 24mm end may not be very wide and you will feel too zoomed in when in close quarters.

You most likely would want to purchase the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS - which is a great lens or the Sigma 17-50 2.8. These will give you a much more workable close quarters or wide angle zoom ability that fits in the normal to mid range of zooms.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

Engler519
30 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 08, 2016 21:52 |  #41

Thanks for the review. You've inspired me to rent this lens and give it a shot.

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 08, 2016 22:05 |  #42

Engler519 wrote in post #17850588 (external link)
Thanks for the review. You've inspired me to rent this lens and give it a shot.

Enjoy!

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

aikijoe12
47 posts
Joined May 2015

Jan 21, 2016 11:09 as a reply to  @ werds's post |  #43

thanks for the feedback... truly appreciate it...

JOE

Mr. ­ Bill
927 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2016 16:04 |  #44

So is one better off going with a used Canon 24-70 v1 or this Tamron? I would be using primarily for indoor shooting like restaurants/bars and some portraits (both indoor & outdoor).

I am seeing a lot of these selling used on Ebay for around the same price as the Canon v1 (700-800 range).

Link to my Pictures (external link)

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 04, 2016 17:22 |  #45

Mr. Bill wrote in post #17916780 (external link)
So is one better off going with a used Canon 24-70 v1 or this Tamron? I would be using primarily for indoor shooting like restaurants/bars and some portraits (both indoor & outdoor).

I am seeing a lot of these selling used on Ebay for around the same price as the Canon v1 (700-800 range).

I think the Tamron is the very clear choice when comparing to the Canon v.1. It outperforms the Canon is every category.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

sponsored links

23,492 views & 6 likes for this thread
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by mannetti21
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.