Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 21:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this good enough for Competitions

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,510 posts
Gallery: 1811 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 08, 2015 21:50 |  #1

Just wondered if the technical merit and subject matter are up there enough?

P.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Some stuff.

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 08, 2015 22:05 |  #2

Pagman wrote in post #17812237 (external link)
Just wondered if the technical merit and subject matter are up there enough?

P.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pagman in
./showthread.php?p=178​12237&i=i84377200
forum: Critique Corner

Disclaimer: I don't shoot aircraft but I think it's a unique viewpoint and nicely composed Pagman. I find it appealing with the off-center backdrop of the moon. What kind of a craft is that with a bulging middle? Also, is this for an aircraft competition or general photography?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,510 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 08, 2015 22:15 |  #3

sapearl wrote in post #17812258 (external link)
Disclaimer: I don't shoot aircraft but I think it's a unique viewpoint and nicely composed Pagman. I find it appealing with the off-center backdrop of the moon. What kind of a craft is that with a bulging middle? Also, is this for an aircraft competition or general photography?

Many thanks for the reply - its a civil aircraft flying domestic routes in and around the UK from Ireland, not sure about what genre to post in for a competition possibly aviation or astro related, I could try a catch name - "Fly me to the moon"

What do you think?

Pagman.

Some stuff.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 08, 2015 22:28 |  #4

Pagman wrote in post #17812264 (external link)
Many thanks for the reply - its a civil aircraft flying domestic routes in and around the UK from Ireland, not sure about what genre to post in for a competition possibly aviation or astro related, I could try a catch name - "Fly me to the moon"

What do you think?

Pagman.

Catchy title ;-)a. Is this digital online submission or matted and framed? I think "aviation" would be the most appropriate category.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,672 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2015 22:43 |  #5

sapearl wrote in post #17812258 (external link)

It is pretty obvious that it is an ATR-72 (or ATR-42). :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 09, 2015 07:51 |  #6

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17812279 (external link)
It is pretty obvious that it is an ATR-72 (or ATR-42). :D

And here I thought it was the flying guppy :lol:

GEAR LIST

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 09, 2015 20:07 |  #7

To get back to the original question, it would depend on the competitions you want to enter. There is a massive difference between club level competitions, regional inter club level competitions, semi-national, national, international etc. Are you looking at entering it as a print or PDI ?

There really is no simple yes / no answer. It could do OK at club level, but at higher levels the standard can go from very good to absolutely amazing, depending on the competition. The position of the aircraft over the moon is very nice, but won't be a factor in a comp as the judge would likely assume that it is a composite, and that you could have picked a better aircraft image and a better moon to place it over. They would also probably pick up on the amount of sky and suggest that it would be better in square format, with the sides cropped away.

Of course, all judges have their own ideas and whilst I suspect most would prefer it cropped tighter, as soon as you do that you will get a judge who feels more negative space would be nice. One judge may heavily criticize it and give it a low mark, another may see something more in it and give it a much better mark, such is the way of competition photography.

I have had an image do well at club level (maximum 20 point score and overall win) then be put forward as part of the clubs entry into the North Wales inter club battle (20 clubs all putting in their best images of the year) scoring another maximum 20 and coming 2nd or 3rd overall (there were 3 images scoring 20 then the judge picked a winner from those but didn't give a 2nd / 3rd). Then the same image went into another local club competition (different club) and got panned by the judge and picked up just 14 points, coming nowhere. So, your image may fly high or bomb completely depending on the level of competition and the tastes of the judge. The important thing is to not give up if it gets nowhere, it could do well in the next comp you enter it into.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,197 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 09, 2015 20:53 |  #8

I say yes.
Interesting composition, attractive image.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,672 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Dec 09, 2015 21:11 |  #9

It would be better with a different approach, IMO. Either the plane across the face of the moon, or coming at you. The tail end of a plane isn't very interesting, given the other samples others have posted that is quite similar. It's a good shot, and depending on what you send this too, perhaps, but I wouldn't expect anything from a major publication or major contest.

Here are several samples to compare to. I believe there is a site or product that tells you when a flight will cross the moon given your position. Perhaps you can plan this same type of shot more times in the future. I will see if I can find what I believe exists, and will post it here if I do. Not sure if people are tracking flights near them with this site, then watch for the planes should they cross the moon or what? https://www.flightrada​r24.com (external link)

https://www.google.com …yYKHWe0A8sQsAQI​Gw&dpr=0.9 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Hannya.

Dec 10, 2015 09:11 |  #10

Pagman wrote in post #17812264 (external link)

What do you think?

Pagman.

Liking the image with that title. Makes it 'pictorial'. Whether there is enough in it to score highly in a competition I am not sure. Its nicely exposed, sharp and presented well. On the minus side its a bit central, and the subject is a bit small in the frame. In a competition on song titles it might do well, in a general open category, possibly less well depending on what else was in the competition. In a PAGB scoring marking, probably might make 3 out of 5, as titles are not taken into consideration. However, if it was mine, I'd be happy with it.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 10, 2015 10:37 |  #11

Might suggest doing some repair work before entering it...moon smudges at 10 o'clock.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,511 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 10, 2015 14:03 |  #12

chauncey wrote in post #17813922 (external link)
Might suggest doing some repair work before entering it...moon smudges at 10 o'clock.

I think those are the exhaust plumes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,510 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2015 16:58 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17814149 (external link)
I think those are the exhaust plumes.

Yep exhaust fumes they are, I think they make the picture stand out;-)a

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,510 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2015 17:12 |  #14

Just a bit of background to the picture - my camera then was playing me up a bit with battery dieing syndrome, also most of the day was very wet rain and mostly cloudy so I was inside more than out, I heard some geese dashed outside framed the shot went to press the shutter and nothing-"dam battery" back inside with the rain, then I saw a glimmer of sunshine went outside and saw this Atr flying over and also noticed the moon in some clear sky between the clouds, I got my camera back on to show a tiny bit of life, then it went off then back on again, then I noticed that the plane was nearly lined up with the moon so I had a split second pointed the camera in the general direction of the moon, no idea or time to alter or even check settings, then just one shot and the camera died, then the heavens opened and I dashed inside.
The pic was just sat on my mem card with about 200 other shots from other occasions, so I had no idea if the moon pic was even ok let alone this good.;-)a

P.

Some stuff.

sponsored links

2,087 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this good enough for Competitions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.