Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want, overkill for photo and video work?

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 09, 2015 08:27 |  #1

Model GT80S 6QF-074US TITAN SLI MSI machine
Operating System Windows 10 Home
Type Gaming Notebook
Processor Intel Core i7-6920HQ(2.9 GHz)
Standard Memory 32GB DDR4 (8G * 4)
Memory Expansion 4 slots in total for max 64GB
Hard Drive Super Raid 4 512GB SSD (NVMe PCIE Gen3 X4) (256GB*2) +1TB (SATA) 7200rpm
Optical Drive BD Writer
Display Size 18.4"
Display Technology Full HD (1920 x 1080), Anti-Glare Wide View Angle
Touch Screen NO
Graphics nVidia GTX 980 SLI 16GB(8GBx2) GDDR5 Extreme Desktop Gaming Graphics

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

sponsored links
silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 09, 2015 09:49 |  #2

Any reason for going for a laptop? At about 10 lbs. and the size of this thing its hardly portable. Im guessing the power bring for it is huge also.

What programs do you actually use for photo and video?

What is the balance between photo an video work?

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

ericcrazyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 10, 2015 07:05 as a reply to  @ silvrr's post |  #3

Already carry a beast, 17 inch Acer. Do not see many towers with these specs. Had an idea for a tower build but the cost was close to this so I thought why not Do mostly photo work with Adobe products CS and Premier. Would also stream music, some cool jazz to relax with.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 10, 2015 09:20 |  #4

If you want an overkill laptop you've got it, go for it. With mostly photo work the two GPUs are going to sit idle a lot and two is overkill. 32GB of memory is overkill, no need for the raid (increases failure rate), not sure what the screen technology is (TN vs. IPS).

If your open to building a tower you can get a lot more CPU power and save a bunch of money. It also opens the door for easy upgrades in the future.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 10, 2015 09:33 |  #5

The 32GB ram isn't overkill.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 10, 2015 09:45 as a reply to  @ njstacker22's post |  #6

You monitor your RAM usage and regularly see it go over 16GB?

-dave-m-
491 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 10, 2015 20:17 |  #7

njstacker22 wrote in post #17813844 (external link)
The 32GB ram isn't overkill.

silvrr wrote in post #17813860 (external link)
You monitor your RAM usage and regularly see it go over 16GB?

Both right and both wrong, simply because it depends on what the PC is used for.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 10, 2015 20:48 |  #8

-dave-m- wrote in post #17814590 (external link)
Both right and both wrong, simply because it depends on what the PC is used for.

My statement was based the ops usage of primarily photo editing in Photoshop. I made an assumption that he isn't doing huge panos or heavy composite work.

gmm213
I know some really nice clowns
783 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 10, 2015 23:40 |  #9

If you found this laptop and priced out a tower build with the same specs either you are getting the deal of a lifetime with the laptop being cheap or the tower parts are ridiculously expensive. My last build would have been at least twice as much in a laptop, building the laptop myself. That dual SLI gpu is going to be massive overkill, most games wont use one of them with maxed graphics and the 32gb is insane. As stated youll be hard pressed to get above 16gb. And even day to day 16gb is a lot. If you do a lot of video editing the i7 is a must though.

If you got the cash why not, but like I said a laptop should be considerably more than the desktop equivalent, so either its a helluva deal on the laptop or your tower prices where horrendous

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Mayhem # 3789333 (external link)

Alyx
98 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 11, 2015 04:43 |  #10

gmm213 wrote in post #17814777 (external link)
If you found this laptop and priced out a tower build with the same specs either you are getting the deal of a lifetime with the laptop being cheap or the tower parts are ridiculously expensive. My last build would have been at least twice as much in a laptop, building the laptop myself. That dual SLI gpu is going to be massive overkill, most games wont use one of them with maxed graphics and the 32gb is insane. As stated youll be hard pressed to get above 16gb. And even day to day 16gb is a lot. If you do a lot of video editing the i7 is a must though.

If you got the cash why not, but like I said a laptop should be considerably more than the desktop equivalent, so either its a helluva deal on the laptop or your tower prices where horrendous

I am with this guy. Where did you check for the towers/parts?

something that says "click" and some strange white tubes with glass in it..

ericcrazyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by ericcrazyman.

Dec 13, 2015 16:14 |  #11

My tower cost was for top end parts. 7 bay case full size ,1000 bucks for processor, 1300 bucks for video card, motherboard 1200 bucks, 3 hard drives 900 bucks other top end parts added lot more.Eizo display 2 grand.

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 13, 2015 18:15 |  #12

Both the laptop and your tower specs are overkill. You're better off buying mainstream (ie midrange i5/i7 processor) every 2-3 years rather than spending massive amounts on parts that are 100% more expensive and 20% faster now.

Note also the laptop has the less reliable RAID - one disk fails, you lose everything.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ericcrazyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 18, 2015 08:18 |  #13

About 11 years ago I bought an overkill. After XP was no longer supported I installed win 7 which fixed a couple issues, still going strong. Buy top end last for ever, almost. My shop wanted to keep it and build me another one. No way I said.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,399 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 18, 2015 10:34 |  #14

Looks like a great laptop, especially if you like to play games. In that regard, MSI is instituting an upgrade program, allowing gamers to swap out their GPUs when Nvidia inevitably rolls out its next graphics powerhouse. I don't know the details, but it sounds good for those into gaming.

I like the 18" display, but at $3400 its a lot of money. If it's what you want, and it's not a financial burden, then go for it.

But you might want to check out this Dell 1710 Precision workstation. Highly configurable, you can get the 17.3" UltraSharp UHD IGZO (3840x2160) PremierColor Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit with Premium Panel Guarantee (100% Adobe color gamut).

If you're not into gaming, you might be able to configure this Dell for photo editing at a lesser cost than the MSI.

http://configure.us.de​ll.com …ion&c=us&l=en&s​=bsd&cs=04 (external link)

More info can be had by clicking on the pdf spec sheet near the botton of this page...

http://www.dell.com …tion/pd?oc=xcto​mp771017us (external link)

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 18, 2015 15:14 |  #15

One thing to remember about the mobile chips: They rely on thermal throttling a lot.

For small tasks they'll move along nicely and happily, but if they're not getting cooled well enough (As is frequently seen in desktop replacement laptops) then they'll slowly saturate their heat sink and then throttle your speed back heavily. They're great for quick, short session number crunching, editing a few photos for example, but they can really bog down and choke if you try to do things like render out long video on them.

Processor Base Frequency 2.9 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.8 GHz

So when it is cool and hasn't been doing much you can expect 3.8GHz, but can probably expect it to dip down closer to the 2.9-3Ghz not too long after if you're doing much. If you keep hammering away at the heavy numbers then it can dip even lower. Adding in beefy graphics cards and the like into a small form factor like a laptop, and you're not in for the best time of your life. Also, watch out for putting the thing in your lap or on laminate table surfaces...

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

4,852 views & 6 likes for this thread
Want, overkill for photo and video work?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.