Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 23 Jun 2015 (Tuesday) 18:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show what you camp in on wildlife photography safaris

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 29, 2015 17:12 |  #16

nutbolt wrote in post #17764740 (external link)
. I can drop it in 15 minutes and be off on the back roads in the truck. It gets me where I want to go!

You stay in the camper AFTER removing it from the truck? Does it have its own floor? Any power?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
nutbolt
200 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by nutbolt.

Oct 30, 2015 16:48 as a reply to  @ Larry Johnson's post |  #17

Larry....Yes. I can camp in it when its off the truck. The bed is over the cab....queen size bed. It wont tip over...lol...tho it looks like it could! Me and my girlfriend can sleep up there without it moving too much.

It has a small kitchen with oven/stove/microwave/f​ridge...a (very small) bathroom with shower, couch that folds out to make a second bed, AC unit, heater, etc. Self contained. With two good group 27 batteries I can stay "off the grid" for 12-14 days without thinking twice about it. No built in generator, but I do carry a small Honda 2000 watt gennie in the metal box up front. That will run the microwave and A/C unit. The rest runs off 12V batteries and/or propane. Rarely run either tho. Cook on the grill outside and where I usually camp I often need heat in the summer...not A/C!! But the generator comes in handy for charging the batteries.

Its built like a brick ####house...I've tried my best to destroy it but its 10.5 years old now and still looks like nearly new!

In 15 minutes it can be off the truck and I'm ready to hit the "really" bad roads! So far I have spent literally over 700 nights in it. I tend to wander in the summer for weeks to months at a time. The Rockies are my favorite!

Truck campers are the way to go.....for me anyway! Love this thing....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/nutbolt65 (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Larry Johnson.

Oct 30, 2015 18:37 as a reply to  @ nutbolt's post |  #18

Thanks Nutbolt! I'm going to look into them. And then dream about buying one...and a truck.

flickr (external link)

tbar
277 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2008

Nov 04, 2015 17:22 |  #19

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

nutbolt
200 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 06, 2015 11:05 as a reply to  @ tbar's post |  #20

Sweeeet Rig T-Bar. I've seen a few of those out west. Can't take mine on roads like that for sure! Is that dropping down into Telluride on Black Bear Road? Always to make that ride (in a rented jeep!)

tbar
277 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2008

Nov 06, 2015 11:53 as a reply to  @ nutbolt's post |  #21

thanks.
yes it is black bear

RMyers
380 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by RMyers.

Nov 06, 2015 13:20 |  #22

I tend to travel light...kind of. Beside camping gear, I have a laptop, Canon 7d2, 4 lenses (one being a Sigma 150-500), flash and extra pieces parts. And a tripod. Bike looks loaded, but well within its capacity.

IMAGE: https://woodbutcher.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/BMW-MOA-Rally-in-Billings/i-WGzGpvj/0/XL/IMD_0302-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://woodbutcher.sm​ugmug.com …/IMD_0302-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Oh, and I've been down Black Bear on a bike, not this one though. A smaller and lighter one. You think it is dicey in a 4 wheel vehicle, imagine being in one that can get deflected off course easily and relies on some momentum for balance.

Rusty Myers
Austin, TX
http://www.SamMyersPho​tography.com (external link)

RMyers
380 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 09, 2015 14:36 as a reply to  @ RMyers's post |  #23

Here is the tent set up I use for multi day trips. The front can open up to hold the bike if necessary, but I use it like a room and for gear storage to get it all off the bike.

IMAGE: https://woodbutcher.smugmug.com/Other/Eye-FI-2014-05-24/i-xCzBZHG/0/XL/20140523_183726-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://woodbutcher.sm​ugmug.com …23_183726-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Rusty Myers
Austin, TX
http://www.SamMyersPho​tography.com (external link)

oscardog
356 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2015 16:14 |  #24

I love seeing everyones wildlife camp set ups. Here are some shots of mine from a recent trip up HWY 395 in california.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear: 6D, 7d Mark II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Canon 16-35 f4 IS, Sigma 24mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 f4 (non IS), Sigma 500 4.5 DG, Kenko 1.4x & 2x converters

nutbolt
200 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 12, 2015 12:26 as a reply to  @ oscardog's post |  #25

395...AWESOME scenery! Twenty Lakes Basin off Tioga Pass in the Hoover Wilderness is unmatched. And no people!! Dig the camper. Yours is way lighter....sometimes I wish mine was smaller...opens up more territory for sure. Happy camping.

oscardog
356 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 12, 2015 19:09 as a reply to  @ nutbolt's post |  #26

Yea the scenery is quite amazing for most of the drive up! Im probably going to drive up or down HWY 1 on the coast over Christmas time :-)

Thanks for the compliments on the camper. Ive had it almost a year now, and absolutely love it. It was custom made by a shop nearby that makes all types of camper shells.

Happy camping as well! Having a small camper is nice, but im still jealous of yours!

Gear: 6D, 7d Mark II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Canon 16-35 f4 IS, Sigma 24mm 1.8, Canon 70-200 f4 (non IS), Sigma 500 4.5 DG, Kenko 1.4x & 2x converters

sponsored links

11,937 views & 15 likes for this thread
Show what you camp in on wildlife photography safaris
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.