Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Dec 2015 (Friday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d Mark III weather sealing

Silver-Halide
809 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 11, 2015 18:18 |  #1

Might get some rain this weekend, and I'm 2nd shooting a wedding. of course it has to be outdoors :rolleyes:

I'll stick to the 50mm f/1.2L, the 24-70 F4L IS, and 70-200mm F4L IS. All have ass-end gaskets, but will a little sprinkling ruin my 5dIII? My plan is to shoot that outdoors, wipe it off, turn it off, take out the battery, and shoot the deception indoors on my 6D while the 5d dries out for the evening.

We need to get DigitalRevTV to put a 5dIII in the dishwasher or something  :p

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,173 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 11, 2015 18:34 |  #2

I've done several trips to rainforest regions with the 5D3 and at times it saw heavy rain for several days. Never had an issue because of it and I don't typically bother with any kind of protection.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2015 18:51 |  #3

i have also used my 5d3 in the rain on a number of occasions, without any protection, and had no problems doing so. They do have a decent level of sealing on them, but they are not as well sealed as a 1d series and are NOT "waterproof".

You should have no problem using it in the rain, but there are no cast iron guarantees.

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 11, 2015 18:55 |  #4

Thanks. I suppose that's not enough of a dire warning to tell my wife I need to buy a 1Dx now :lol:

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 11, 2015 18:56 |  #5

I suppose changing lenses too much to be the biggest risk. That sounds like the area that water will get in the easiest.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2015 19:19 |  #6

Silver-Halide wrote in post #17815683 (external link)
I suppose changing lenses too much to be the biggest risk. That sounds like the area that water will get in the easiest.

Yeah, I try and avoid lens swapping in the rain if I can. Fortunately, I have 3 bodies so can mount different lenses and cover my options that way usually. If I do have to change a lens in the rain, i try and get under some sort of cover if possible, keep the camera pointing downwards and try and get the rear lens caps on / off as quickly as possible to prevent drips getting in the back end of the lens. The weather sealing won't help when you have a damn great hole open in the front of the camera, but as long as you keep the hole pointing down it shouldn't get rain in.

Take care and you should be fine, these things are pretty robust and can take a fair bit of abuse / wetting, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious of course and take sensible precautions where you can.

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 11, 2015 19:26 |  #7

Is the 6D as sealed as the 5dIII? I'm guessing Lens Rentals has done a tear down of both at some time, or maybe Canon Rumors?
If the 6d < 5d3 I'll probably just shoot the 70-200mm on the 5d. Otherwise I'll shoot the 24-70 on the 6d as needed. The 50 1.2 is comparatively more useful indoors.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 11, 2015 20:45 |  #8

I never use my kit in the rain, but if you have to cant you get one of those rain hood things

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 11, 2015 21:23 |  #9

If it were my 5D3, I'd buy a rain cover for it. Why take a chance the rain covers are what... all of $10?

Mark

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 11, 2015 21:36 |  #10

Silver-Halide wrote in post #17815705 (external link)
Is the 6D as sealed as the 5dIII? I'm guessing Lens Rentals has done a tear down of both at some time, or maybe Canon Rumors?
If the 6d < 5d3 I'll probably just shoot the 70-200mm on the 5d. Otherwise I'll shoot the 24-70 on the 6d as needed. The 50 1.2 is comparatively more useful indoors.

I haven't used the 6D but from what I have seen and read elsewhere, it isn't as well sealed as the 5D3. There are illustrations around that show the gaskets and seals on the two cameras and there aren't as many on the 6D. I imagine that it would still take a moderate degree of wetting in it's stride, but there will be a higher chance of a drop of water just managing to get through the seals if fate isn't on your side.

My older bodies have significantly less sealing than the 6D but survived use in light rain with no major issues, and heavier rain with a supermarket carrier bag over them keeping the worst off. I say no "major" issues because there were a few times when water got in and the controls and displays went into a hissyfit. On each occasion I shut them down, dropped the battery out, towelled them down when I got the chance and put them somewhere dry. The next day they were back to normal and showed no remaining ill effects. My oldest (a 20D and 5Dc) first got wet many years ago and still work today, so there has been no ongoing corrosion eating away at them unseen.

There is always some risk in using a camera in the rain, the 5d3 will be the lowest risk of the two.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,540 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 11, 2015 21:38 |  #11

I shot the Scott Kelby Photo Walk in October in drizzle with a Rebel XSi, EF-S 18-135, and a Hoya Skylight. Every 5 minutes or so I had to dry the skylight with a paper towel; otherwise the camera wouldn't focus. This is a camera that is anything but wx sealed. It survived just fine. I also did NYC in late summer with the 5DMIII and 24-105 in light rain, no skylight. It also survived just fine.

If you've got a skylight or UV, I'd use it as Canon's info indicates you need something on the end of the lens to ensure it is wx sealed. If you don't have one, you're kinda on your own, but I was impressed with what the Rebel could handle.

Regarding DRTv, Kai would just throw it into the ocean on a rope, and then drag it out. ;) He'd then dry it with a blow torch. All class. (Me shakes me head.)

Good luck!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2015 00:01 |  #12

I've taken my 5D2 out in light showers without any ill-effects. Probably the wettest it got was while on a trip to Chicago earlier this year. I was out for an evening photo walk and it was out in a drizzle for an extended period of time (see photo below). Worked great the entire time and haven't had any trouble with it in the 6 months since then.

Two months ago I photographed a college football game and there were very light showers off and on during the game. I had a hand towel with me and kept that draped over my camera to keep the water off (I was more concerned about my 100-400 v1, which doesn't have weather sealing). I also bought some Optech plastic bag style rain sleeves just in case the rain got worse. They were about $10 if I remember right…cheap insurance.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2015 00:05 |  #13

I would add that it's probably best not to open up the camera battery door or change lenses while the camera is wet. When you open the battery door or change lenses, there is a much bigger chance of some water seeping in to places it shouldn't be. Trust the seals to do their job keeping the water out.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

dexy101
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2015 06:40 |  #14

I shoot in the rain a bit with my cameras, just had my 1DIV and 5DII out in a good downpour and suffered no ill effects.

I always always have a towel or micro fibre cloth in my pocket for these situation, sometimes ill leave it draped over the camera if its heavy enough, but i absolutely have o issues shooting in the rain with all my bodies. Heres my 5D3, pretty much spent its day getting wiped then soaked again. No worries at all.

Also a filter will complete your weather sealing if you need it, all my lenses bar my 17-40 have hoods large enough to not worry about filters.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

eddieb1
843 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 12, 2015 09:13 |  #15

Submariner wrote in post #17815772 (external link)
I never use my kit in the rain, but if you have to cant you get one of those rain hood things

Yes, what Mark said. Cheap insurance.

sponsored links

3,975 views & 4 likes for this thread
5d Mark III weather sealing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.