Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 27 Mar 2015 (Friday) 13:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Square crop on a Canon 5D mark II - brute force and nerve

charlemagne
479 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 27, 2015 13:26 |  #1

After photographing with an old Rolleiflex middle format camera (6x6) I loved square format so much that I wanted a square crop composing aid for my Canon 5D mark II camera's.

read here how I did it: (don't try this at home, aka I'm not responsible for any kind of camera abuse after reading this blog post):

https://ludwigdesmet.w​ordpress.com …uare-crop-on-canon-5d-ii/ (external link)

I've enjoyed it very much since. ;-)a

ludwig
ludwig desmet - beauty and fine art photography (external link)

sponsored links
charlemagne
THREAD ­ STARTER
479 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 06, 2015 06:22 |  #2

I've had about 700 views here, 300 clicks on the link I've posted, and no comment :/
I must be doing something wrong, sure ...

Ludwig

ludwig

cololeo
172 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 12, 2015 03:58 as a reply to  @ charlemagne's post |  #3

OK. So you scratched a couple of lines on your screen to show you what a square crop would be. I fail to see how that would be more useful than just visualizing a square crop without altering my camera. Is there something critical about having a perfectly square crop? You have me at a loss here.

FluPics@gmail.com (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 12, 2015 05:44 as a reply to  @ cololeo's post |  #4

charlemagne wrote in post #17809040 (external link)
I've had about 700 views here, 300 clicks on the link I've posted, and no comment :/
I must be doing something wrong, sure ...

Ludwig

I think what you're failing to see and understand is the sheer lunacy of the solution. Kinda' like a guy who goes from watching a 40" flat panel to a 55", who doesn't get used to it right away and devises a solution of using black paint to cover the outside edges of his new 55" panel back to 40".

Like Cololeo says, there's a much easier solution:

1. visualize in a square when shooting
2. hold down the shift key when cropping in Photoshop

VIOLA! An easy solution without damaging, scratching, or destroying any equipment.

Website (external link) |

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Dec 12, 2015 06:16 |  #5

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17816099 (external link)
I think what you're failing to see and understand is the sheer lunacy of the solution. Kinda' like a guy who goes from watching a 40" flat panel to a 55", who doesn't get used to it right away and devises a solution of using black paint to cover the outside edges of his new 55" panel back to 40".

Like Cololeo says, there's a much easier solution:

1. visualize in a square when shooting
2. hold down the shift key when cropping in Photoshop

VIOLA! An easy solution without damaging, scratching, or destroying any equipment.

+1
What a pointless thing to do

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

jkdwings
97 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 14, 2015 20:59 |  #6

I don't quite understand all the dislike in this thread. OP had a desired outcome for their purpose and then created a solution to it. It appears the lines were created precisely and with care and it won't negatively affect the images at all. And saying that it's just as easy to visualize a square is just silly. There's a reason we have 100% viewfinders, or overlays with the rule of thirds and things of that nature - they're much more precise than just "imagining it".

Canon 7D | Opteka 6.5mm/3.5 Fisheye | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon 35/2IS | Canon 50/1.8 II | Helios 44-2 58/2 | Sears 135/2.8 | Canon 70-200/4L
Canon T1i | Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS

charlemagne
THREAD ­ STARTER
479 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 18, 2015 03:14 |  #7

jkdwings wrote in post #17819219 (external link)
I don't quite understand all the dislike in this thread. OP had a desired outcome for their purpose and then created a solution to it. It appears the lines were created precisely and with care and it won't negatively affect the images at all. And saying that it's just as easy to visualize a square is just silly. There's a reason we have 100% viewfinders, or overlays with the rule of thirds and things of that nature - they're much more precise than just "imagining it".

thank you jkdwings, that's the entire idea of it. There is NO WAY that you can just 'Imagine' or 'visualise' a perfect square crop without seeing it. I'm a graphic designer, I know about ratio's. You cannot, with an image in the viewfinder, 'see' in your mind where your elements will fall in your 'to be made' square crop, where your edges will be.

Why do you think camera producers are actually designing the ability to switch to a different image aspect ratio in camera? Because people are too lazy to 'visualise' a different crop? Why do matte screens with grid overlay's exist? Because architectural photographers are too lazy to check if their camera is level?

I am not talking about cropping afterwards, I am talking about seeing the result while looking trough the viewfinder. I had two no longer used matte screens lying on a shelf, so I damaged or destroyed nothing that cannot be undone, and for me, these screens will stay there as long as I use these camera's.

wish you alle a nice day :)

Ludwig

ludwig

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 18, 2015 03:39 |  #8

Why can I not visualize a square crop? What research do you have on that?

How is it you can visualize pretty much anything else but not that? I'm visualizing a big bag of potato chips right now.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

jkdwings
97 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 18, 2015 10:17 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #9

Sure you can visualize it, but it's not going to be precise. Say you wanted a perfectly square crop with leading lines from the bottom two corners up to the middle of the image - maybe you're shooting a long, straight highway in the desert. Being able to precisely place those lines within a square is going to yield a better final product than just visualizing it and then having to crop from various sides differing amounts, maybe rotate it a bit, maybe to get the corners lined up you lose the centered vanishing point. Sure the shot can still be made, but why not use tools to make it easier?

Canon 7D | Opteka 6.5mm/3.5 Fisheye | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon 35/2IS | Canon 50/1.8 II | Helios 44-2 58/2 | Sears 135/2.8 | Canon 70-200/4L
Canon T1i | Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,984 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 18, 2015 10:19 |  #10

LR does square crops quite easily. LOL

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 18, 2015 10:28 |  #11

I don't know. I've shot a lot of medium format both 6x6 and 6x7 and I was taught to shoot a bit loose so that you could crop. With even the resolution of the 5D2 you have plenty of headroom to crop.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,398 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by scorpio_e.

Dec 18, 2015 16:57 |  #12

No way I am going to consider doing that to my focusing screen.

If I wanted to see square... Gaffers tape on the back of the camera and shoot in liver view. UMMm not that either *L*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,172 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lyndön.

Dec 18, 2015 21:41 |  #13

scorpio_e wrote in post #17824023 (external link)
No way I am going to consider doing that to my focusing screen.

If I wanted to see square... Gaffers tape on the back of the camera and shoot in liver view. UMMm not that either *L*

You don't even need to do that... Live view> show grid lines type 2 > use the middle 4x4 perfectly square grid. Problem solved. :twisted:

GEAR LIST

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by maverick75.

Dec 18, 2015 22:00 |  #14

I shoot square format on my digital bodies but it does the crop automatically.(I have EVF on my mirrorless bodies that allow this).

I loved 6×6 but moved on to 67 and 7×7, when I want more frames my 645 comes out.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Tyguy
491 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Dec 18, 2015 23:04 |  #15

Thanks for sharing, Ludwig. I'm not really interested in the square cropping, but would love to have the 3x3 grid on my precision matte FS. Perhaps it is possible. Did you manage to place the lines such that you get a perfect square in the viewfinder?

Don't mind the negative comments. This is the DIY area, where we can expect interesting mods. Negativity here is kinda like going to a Ford dealership just to say you'll never buy a Ford ;)

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,206 views & 16 likes for this thread
Square crop on a Canon 5D mark II - brute force and nerve
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.