Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Services/price page - yes or no.

TETRAGRAMATON
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 18, 2015 16:31 |  #16

Hi guys,

It's been some time since I started working on my services page and I think that, I sort of, riched the point where I felt like to publish my "services page"
I would like you to have a look and share any thoughts on the structure and overall quality plus suggestions for improvements. I think I need to mention that the way I designed everything is also with lots of SEO in mind.
Thanks,
http://mirchevphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)

London professional Portrait and Headshot photographer (external link)

sponsored links
agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Nov 19, 2015 08:30 |  #17

TETRAGRAMATON wrote in post #17788908 (external link)
Hi guys,

It's been some time since I started working on my services page and I think that, I sort of, riched the point where I felt like to publish my "services page"
I would like you to have a look and share any thoughts on the structure and overall quality plus suggestions for improvements. I think I need to mention that the way I designed everything is also with lots of SEO in mind.
Thanks,
http://mirchevphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)

I'm late to the party, but I find it odd after all the talk about putting pricing on your website, or at least ballpark pricing...the only page you list any pricing on is your event page (which to me, could easily be variable pricing based on the event).

I understand commercial projects could vary widely...but portraits seem like a genre that could get some sort of pricing structure.

Just my thoughts.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,587 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 21, 2015 22:07 |  #18

Yes for standard service. I found it a good way to screen way prospects that are not within your price range.

Gearlist

TETRAGRAMATON
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 23, 2015 08:28 |  #19

Hi guys, the pages are still, sort of, work in progress, but I decided to publish them because of SEO reasons. I will be editing them further, and fro portrait photography I'm thinking to setup something of the sor - Sessions starting from £ something, something as there are so many different scenarios within the genre of portrait photography that can reflect on quoting price.

randizzle
76 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 23, 2015 09:47 |  #20

I started with the idea that I would not publish the price and allow for a bit of wiggle room depending on the customer and the details of the job. I realized pretty quickly that pricing became so complicated because many of the people contacting me were looking for something else but didn't know because I didn't make it clear.
e.g. they were looking for somebody extremely cheap and never would have contacted me if they knew my price point.

Now I publish my price on the website and everybody knows what to expect before contacting me. It makes things much easier when we can just focus on what the shoot will be and not on how much it will cost.

STPimages
35 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 03, 2015 15:39 |  #21

Customers who are genuinely shopping for photographers for the most part hate the process as much as people hate buying cars from a car salesman. When you post "call for info!" or "contact me to find out more!", most potential clients click to the next option. I have studied my Google Adwords results over time and Google ads that pointed people to webpages with pricing got many more calls per click-throughs than webpages without pricing. I also agree about the point of not wasting time with a client who cannot afford me - posting prices prevents this. That way, when your phone rings or the email comes in, you know they've seen your prices and have budget to cover it.

Todd Parker, CPP
STP Images
Houston, TX

TETRAGRAMATON
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 10, 2015 15:58 |  #22

@STPimages, thank you very much. Your comment is very constructive especially backed up with some well observed data from Google. I will rethink the approach to the different services on my website.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 11, 2015 08:50 |  #23

I learned a long time ago that potential clients don't want to be educated about creative fees, licensing, term of use and just want a number. The link from your Commercial page is just that and doesn't give anyone an idea of your range of fees. I chose to simply present my images and motivate people to contact me. Anyone who has any experience commissioning work knows the dance and those who haven't probably cannot justify or afford my services. It's fine if you only shoot weddings, portraits or events but otherwise I would not do so.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

STPimages
35 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 11, 2015 09:32 as a reply to  @ TETRAGRAMATON's post |  #24

You're welcome. I have been gathering this info for over 7 years through my Google Ads account for generating web traffic. My results are tangible and measured in dollars, not theoretical hypothesis. Wishing you success.

Todd Parker, CPP
STP Images
Houston, TX

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 13, 2015 16:58 |  #25

No pricing on really ANY website just screams "my prices are so high, that I need you to contact me so I can talk to you and give you the hard sell to afford me."

Mostly people just move on to another site and not complain. So if a vendor says in their defense they dont get complaints about no visible pricing, its really not a credible stance.

STPimages
35 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 19, 2015 15:10 |  #26

Some of the clients I have spoken to after booking them have told me that when they see "call for pricing" or "call for info", they feel it is a less than credible business.

Todd Parker, CPP
STP Images
Houston, TX

lxb
20 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Dec 21, 2015 16:29 |  #27

Any thoughts on a webpage that says "Sessions start at x" or "packages starting at "? Does that turn people off? Lara White does that and advises it in her marketing book. Then again, her target market is wealthy brides.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 22, 2015 09:56 |  #28

lxb wrote in post #17827487 (external link)
Any thoughts on a webpage that says "Sessions start at x" or "packages starting at "? Does that turn people off? Lara White does that and advises it in her marketing book. Then again, her target market is wealthy brides.

When setting up my website I started with visiting a bunch of other photographers pages, I made notes of what I liked and what I did not like. I also talked to several people about what they look for. Everyone I talked to said they want to see pricing. Granted that may just be the market I am in (lower end). You know that saying "If you have to ask you cant afford it", I kinda live by that.

From the business side I have my pricing, my contracts and several other documents all available on my website. When someone emails me, they have all ready had the chance to look over EVERYTHING, there is zero surprises. This also filters out people that A} dont want to pay my prices and B} dont want to agree to my contract.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,422 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Dec 22, 2015 10:04 |  #29

Hogloff wrote in post #17731837 (external link)
Me, as a possible client...if I don't see some pricing guidelines on a site...I go onto another site. I don't have the time to phone or e-mail the photog just to learn they are not within my price range.

When you go onto the b&h site...are you happy to see their prices?

OTOH, B&H is a retailer of 'commody goods' and these items are readily available elsewhere, so declaration of pricing for 'commodities' is an advantage for B&H.

But when the enterprise deals in services that turn into the sales of commodities (the prints or the photos on disk) you want customers to appreciate why your customized services are 'better', or that you as the PERSON PROVIDING SERVICES is a better choice than the than 'commodity services' provided by your Zippy-the-Chimp competitiion.

I go to a somewhat large hardware store rather than the commodity big box store for the advice and personalized service I can get, whereas the folks working the big box stores are typically not useful for any information other than which aisle on which to find specific commodity goods.
OTOH, I did professional photography in an era (film) when clients were seeking more than a 'walking shutter pressing finger, who provides me with hundreds and thousands of digital photos on a disk' at the lowest possible price like so many clients today.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

5,728 views & 25 likes for this thread
Services/price page - yes or no.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.