Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Dec 2015 (Sunday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone bought used gear from B&H?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2015 16:56 |  #1

I've been using B&H for over 5 years. I've always found their service to be excellent, so I felt okay about buying a used lens from them. Its condition was 8+ so I expected wear but I didn't expect damage. It had obviously been dropped; there was a flattened area on the end of the lens barrel and right around that it was really gouged and scraped. You can't even put a filter on it. There are no signs of any wear at all anywhere else on the lens.

I was shocked and immediately called for an RMA. They didn't argue at all and I certainly didn't expect them to. But in addition to the damage the surface of the lens element has splatters from something that was apparently spilled on it so it's obvious that they didn't even look at the lens before selling it! This makes me wonder about buying anything else from their used department. Does anyone here have any experience buying used gear from them?

Thanks.

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 13, 2015 17:19 |  #2

Been dealing with B&H forever. Unsurprisingly mistakes are made sometimes but as you already pointed out they are very quick to make things right. They've won my loyalty many times over with their customer service on both new and used items.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 14, 2015 09:39 |  #3

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the reply.

MarkRN
67 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 16, 2015 12:26 |  #4

I've purchased both my T4i and 24-105L from their refurb department and they were easily 9.5/10 at a significant price reduction.

If there's an issue, they will fix it and they will forever have my business.

| T4i, XSi, SD630 | 24-105 f/4 L, kit lens, 55-250, 50 f/1.8 | Bower SFD926C

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 16, 2015 12:44 |  #5

I have purchased a number of lenses from them used. always had good copies.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 16, 2015 12:47 |  #6

It was probably just a simple mistake and they rated it wrong or sent the wrong version.

I've had zero issues with them so far. Buying new or used.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,536 posts
Gallery: 396 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 16, 2015 13:28 |  #7

I bought a 60D and an A7R from them used this calendar year--both rated 9--and received a camera that could have been sold as a refurb or open box.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

BcuzofHisLuv
90 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 16, 2015 14:05 |  #8

I've bought quite a few used items from them. The most recent was a gripped 5d mark iii. They have an outstanding customer service!!

Just my camera and I :cool:

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,896 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Charlie.

Dec 16, 2015 14:14 |  #9

I recently bought a not as advertised lens, subtle differences with vintage glass that can make differences in price greatly. They took it back, no issues. They could do better by providing a photo of the item rather than a description that may not be correct.

btw, KEH, hands down my favorite. Sometimes they'll put up some gems for super low prices. Picked up both my OM lenses from keh, 200mm f5 and 24mm f2.8, both mint condition and a steal at their prices.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Nortonski
603 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 16, 2015 15:16 |  #10

I have...inadvertently..​.

Bought what I thought was a brand new pair of B&O H8 headphones only to get them back to the hotel, & find not only that they'd been used, but half the contents were missing...

Back to B&H & trying to convince them that they'd given me second hand kit I didn't even get an apology...from their attitude I'm convinced they thought I was BS'ing them...

Personally I love the store & have bought a fair bit, but for me, now I'll just use them to see what I like & give the business to Adorama...

Very disappointed, buyer beware for sure!!!

swanphotography
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 16, 2015 21:38 |  #11

Bought countless used items and never had any issues.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,201 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lyndön.

Dec 16, 2015 21:57 |  #12

I've never bought from B&H used, but I've bought several things from Adorama's used department and have found that they generally rate their stuff conservatively. I've been pleasantly surprised with several things that were in great shape, even though they were rated as E or E-. I just wish all of these sites would put up real photos of used items. It's not like they don't have access to photo gear, ya know? -?

GEAR LIST

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,429 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 17, 2015 22:09 |  #13

want to buy used, buy at POTN.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 20, 2015 06:26 |  #14

Lyndön wrote in post #17821919 (external link)
I've never bought from B&H used, but I've bought several things from Adorama's used department and have found that they generally rate their stuff conservatively. I've been pleasantly surprised with several things that were in great shape, even though they were rated as E or E-.

Delighted to see this!

Lyndön wrote in post #17821919 (external link)
I just wish all of these sites would put up real photos of used items. It's not like they don't have access to photo gear, ya know? -?

I can answer that one.....I can't speak for any other retailer, but our website isn't built that way, eg like eBay.
The manufacturers send us pictures of their gear as a series of codes, not as pictures. This also enables them to ensure that their products are presented in a consistent way.
This also explains why you may see listings for older/discontinued products without any pics at all, because the codes are no longer available.

However, provided we are not horribly busy (this is NOT a good time of year to ask!!), we can usually provide a set of pictures taken by one of our staff photographers. You only need to drop me an email: Helen@adorama.com.

BUT, they are a bit reluctant to this for cheapy units, simply because of the amount of time it takes.

Don't forget that our used gear, apart from those rated X, come with a 30-day returns period if you are at all disappointed with your purchase.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 20, 2015 06:29 |  #15

Nortonski wrote in post #17821413 (external link)
.....but for me, now I'll .......give the business to Adorama...

Thank you - and if ever we disappoint you, please don't hesitate to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com

sponsored links

2,626 views & 4 likes for this thread
Has anyone bought used gear from B&H?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.