Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Dec 2015 (Saturday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Epson R3000 air in ink lines

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 12, 2015 12:25 |  #1

I have a eco flow ~(continuous flow) system, has been working fine until now. Unfortunately I didn't notice the ink line on one colour got kinked and before I realised, the cartridge was empty and I think I got air into the system as that one colour won't print. I have tried cleaning heads etc, purge files, head clean - but no joy. Any other ideas?

Gear List

sponsored links
lilkngster
722 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 14, 2015 12:17 |  #2

If you ran it long enough to get air retrograde into the tubes, you probably burned out the print head for that color. You could try a cartridge to see if you get color again but I'm guessing you need to replace the head. One of the risks of continuous ink systems.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

ThreeHounds
877 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by ThreeHounds.

Dec 14, 2015 15:05 |  #3

Is it air locked? Can you see ink in the line all the way to the head? I'm not familiar with this printer, but in some of my other printers when a tank change was missed and air got into the lines we would use a small syringe purchased from a big box hardware store to draw ink all the way to the head end of the line then reattach it.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Zenzanon 105 f/3.5 | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

shoshone
504 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 15, 2015 08:51 |  #4

I use a Permajet CIS system on my R3000. What I would do is the following:-

1 Clamp the tube concerned near the top of the ink bottle
2 Remove the empty cartridge and hold it so that the tube line isn't twisted (horizontal or even slightly vertical upside down)
3 Insert appropriately fitting syringe into the hole at the bottom of the cartridge you are now holding [make sure the syringe rod is all the way at the bottom of the syringe]
4 unclamp the tube line and slowly start to pull the syringe rod out you should see nothing but air coming into the syringe. If you reach the top of your syringe before any ink comes into the syringe, reclamp, remove the syringe expel the air from syringe, reinsert the syringe into the cartridge again
5 Remove clamp and repeat until you start getting ink into the syringe - keep going but try now to have the cartridge upside down to get air bubbles to come up into the syringe.
6 When you feel you have gotten all the air bubbles out. Immediately clamp the tube line again, remove your syringe and insert the cartridge into the R3000 again. Then remove the clamp
7 Do several head cleans and see if you can get a good nozzle check.

Have some kitchen roll around in case you spill ink from your syringe containing expelled ink!

Good Luck and let us know how you get on

ps the bold is because it's so easy to get a sequence error doing this job :-(

Sony: A7rii
FE16-35ZA | FE 55 | B85

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 11, 2016 01:59 as a reply to  @ shoshone's post |  #5

Shoshone - thats for this.

I used a micro drill bit I purchased online, and very carefully inserted it in the printer head part that goes into the cartridge. Looks like this cleared the blockage - I used a single colour purge file and now the head is working ok.

I have used your method when I can see air somehow coming into the line....

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 11, 2016 02:00 |  #6

lilkngster wrote in post #17818616 (external link)
If you ran it long enough to get air retrograde into the tubes, you probably burned out the print head for that color. You could try a cartridge to see if you get color again but I'm guessing you need to replace the head. One of the risks of continuous ink systems.

Printer head is ok fortunately. - see my answer below

Gear List

sponsored links

3,243 views & 1 like for this thread
Epson R3000 air in ink lines
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.