Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Postal Money Order

silvermesa1
145 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by silvermesa1.

Dec 15, 2015 12:15 |  #1

Is there any downsides to using postal money order to protect both the buyer and seller for a preowned camera and lens system purchase?

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 15, 2015 12:33 |  #2

Only downside is the time it takes to mail it.

Other than that it's great, I personally prefer paypal since it's instant payment.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 15, 2015 12:51 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Postal Money Orders can be faked or stolen. Do you know what an official one looks like?

If someone pays you with PayPal, the money is yours as soon as it hits your account. The only way I would accept a PMO is if I can transfer/ship AFTER I cash the item at a local Post Office.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 15, 2015 13:02 |  #4

You don't ship the item until you cash the money order. I've been receiving them for 10 years with no issues. They will tell you at the post office if it's fake.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2015 13:07 |  #5

silvermesa1 wrote in post #17819895 (external link)
Is there any downsides to using postal money order to protect both the buyer and seller for a preowned camera and lens system purchase?

How does a money order protect the buyer? Seems about as safe as sending cash to me.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 15, 2015 13:13 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

maverick75 wrote in post #17819984 (external link)
You don't ship the item until you cash the money order. I've been receiving them for 10 years with no issues. They will tell you at the post office if it's fake.

I was thinking Craigslist face-to-face transactions. Paypal makes those much easier. Nobody has to carry cash.

mpix345 wrote in post #17819992 (external link)
How does a money order protect the buyer? Seems about as safe as sending cash to me.

Good point.

silvermesa1
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 15, 2015 13:15 |  #7

I have used pay pal as a buyer on FM and it has worked great. I'm a bit apprehensive to use it as a seller since I have to give them my checking account number. Just looking for a reasonable alternative.

I am not real familiar with how postal money orders look. It seems reasonable to go to the post office first to verify and then send the item if things are ok.

I have been out of photography for years and just in the last two years started to acquire digital gear. What I have to sell I've owned for 25 years.

silvermesa1
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 15, 2015 14:00 |  #8

mpix345 wrote in post #17819992 (external link)

What about C.O.D. collect on delivery? Buyer receives gear and gives postal worker Postal money order?

Just thinking outloud here. Certainly interested in how others have navigated this process so it is positive for both buyer and seller.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 15, 2015 14:08 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #17819998 (external link)
I was thinking Craigslist face-to-face transactions. Paypal makes those much easier. Nobody has to carry cash.

Good point.

Never ever ever accept paypal for a face to faface transaction. the buyer can file a dispute as soon as they walk away and you would be screwed. Cash is king. if you are worried about carrying amounts of cash, meet in a well lit parking lot of a store that is open. I've met in front of health clubs, big box DIY stores, grocery stores, and even in front of bars. I've never had an issue.

carpenter
Goldmember
2,631 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by carpenter.

Dec 15, 2015 14:35 |  #10

mikeinctown wrote in post #17820056 (external link)
Never ever ever accept paypal for a face to faface transaction. the buyer can file a dispute as soon as they walk away and you would be screwed.

Paypal doesn't have purchase protection for items bought face to face and even if they did, I'm not sure how that would be different than selling online. If the buyer files a dispute he still has to show that he returned the item. You would have an electronic copy (text, email messages) showing that the intent was to meet in person to sell the item so the buyer can't claim it was never shipped. The buyer has to show the item was returned to get a refund.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by bps. (4 edits in all)

Dec 15, 2015 14:51 |  #11

silvermesa1,

Even though it has been two years since your return, welcome back to photography after such a long break! I bet you're having fun with all of the technological advances.

As for selling and buying gear to strangers, there are two choices that are the gold standard in today's world:

1) Sell online and use PayPal. When selling online, you can eliminate 99% or more of the risk by taking a few extra minutes to vet your potential buyer. If he or she is a POTN member, go read a dozen or more of their posts and see if they appear to be a real honest-to-goodness photographer. Check the Positive Feedback thread in the Market Watch forum. If you do this and they seem like an ok person, then you have massively reduced the chance of getting scammed. Proceed with the sale, carefully follow the rules of PayPal (confirmed shipping address, signature upon delivery, etc.) and take pictures and evidence throughout the process (save receipts, take pics of gear being boxed up, etc.).

2) Sell in-person via Craigslist. Just like POTN, you can vet your buyer by carefully reading their emails and/or talk to them over the phone. Engage in small talk. You can usually tell if they are a photographer or not. Never ever sell through the mail on Craigslist and never accept anything but cash. If you want even more protection, most police departments have a Craigslist buying/selling zone at the police station that is video-monitored 24/7. Or you can meet inside a bank.

Bottom line: get to know your buyer and see if they pass the test and be smart in how you conduct business. Do this, and you eliminate 99.8% of the rare problems out there.

As for Postal Money Orders? Yes, you can use them. But they are outdated and inconvenient.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

My Gear List

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 15, 2015 15:49 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #12

I remember reading a police station somewhere is offering their parking lot as a CL meet-up place.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 15, 2015 17:04 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

silvermesa1 wrote in post #17820002 (external link)
I have used pay pal as a buyer on FM and it has worked great. I'm a bit apprehensive to use it as a seller since I have to give them my checking account number. Just looking for a reasonable alternative.

I am not real familiar with how postal money orders look. It seems reasonable to go to the post office first to verify and then send the item if things are ok.

I have been out of photography for years and just in the last two years started to acquire digital gear. What I have to sell I've owned for 25 years.

Color me confused. I've been selling on CL using Paypal for years. I've never had to give anyone my checking account number. We usually meet at Starbucks, or some such place. They check the merchandise. If they want it, they pay me with PayPal GIFT (now Friends & Family). I have my money, they have the merchandise, they have NO retraction ability. Please explain the checking account business?!?!?!?!

mikeinctown wrote in post #17820056 (external link)
Never ever ever accept paypal for a face to faface transaction. the buyer can file a dispute as soon as they walk away and you would be screwed. Cash is king. if you are worried about carrying amounts of cash, meet in a well lit parking lot of a store that is open. I've met in front of health clubs, big box DIY stores, grocery stores, and even in front of bars. I've never had an issue.

Done it at least 10 times. If they use gift, there is no changing their mind, as far as I know.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,599 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 15, 2015 17:21 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #17820245 (external link)
Color me confused. I've been selling on CL using Paypal for years. I've never had to give anyone my checking account number. We usually meet at Starbucks, or some such place. They check the merchandise. If they want it, they pay me with PayPal GIFT (now Friends & Family). I have my money, they have the merchandise, they have NO retraction ability. Please explain the checking account business?!?!?!?!

Done it at least 10 times. If they use gift, there is no changing their mind, as far as I know.

this is false. Gift has worked well for plenty, but you can get screwed for it.

the scam is linking a credit card as a payment method for paypal gift. The buyer can claim stolen card and do a chargeback, seller is screwed since gift has no protections.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (2 edits in all)

Dec 15, 2015 18:08 |  #15

I have sold many items via Craigslist.

I would meet them inside the local Barns & Noble bookstore.
I was often there browsing their automotive magazines at the time.
Florida is hot, the air conditioning and iced coffees they sell are nice.

I had one potential buyer refuse to meet me inside and insisted I come out to the parking lot. (very suspicious)

As far as payments go, I accept the Paypal fee as part of to convenience of not carrying cash as a buyer.
I have never had an issue with a buyer of my item though either.

Money order would be great as a seller, if I could cash them and then immediately ship the item in one trip.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links

3,782 views & 2 likes for this thread
Postal Money Order
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.