Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Postal Money Order

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 15, 2015 18:11 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #17820267 (external link)
this is false. Gift has worked well for plenty, but you can get screwed for it.

the scam is linking a credit card as a payment method for paypal gift. The buyer can claim stolen card and do a chargeback, seller is screwed since gift has no protections.

Interesting. I've never had that problem, but I suppose it is possible.

sponsored links
InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by InfiniteDivide.

Dec 15, 2015 18:13 |  #17

^ I would never gift money to someone I didn't know, because they have no 'requirement' to ship an item. Or is that its is not working, etc.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link)

silvermesa1
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by silvermesa1.

Dec 15, 2015 18:51 |  #18

Bassat wrote in post #17820245 (external link)
Color me confused. I've been selling on CL using Paypal for years. I've never had to give anyone my checking account number. We usually meet at Starbucks, or some such place. They check the merchandise. If they want it, they pay me with PayPal GIFT (now Friends & Family). I have my money, they have the merchandise, they have NO retraction ability. Please explain the checking account business?!?!?!?!

Done it at least 10 times. If they use gift, there is no changing their mind, as far as I know.

What I was referring to regarding the bank account was pay pal would need my bank account number in order to deposit the purchasers money. Probably safe, but I'm just a bit leery to give pay pal that number. Maybe in time I'll get used to the idea.

At present time, I dont see myself selling very much gear and am more in the acquisition phase. But, was hoping to find a good way to sell my gear without pay pal, thus the reason for the original post.

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 15, 2015 20:27 as a reply to  @ silvermesa1's post |  #19

FWIW as a buyer I prefer the convenience of PayPal. I will pass on a listing that requires a money order or check. Point is that if you limit yourself to only accepting a money order you are likely limiting your buyer base.

For local sales it is craigslist, cash only, and Starbucks. Although here the local camera store and the sheriff's office encourage people to use their locations for CL transactions.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 15, 2015 21:39 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

silvermesa1 wrote in post #17820398 (external link)
What I was referring to regarding the bank account was pay pal would need my bank account number in order to deposit the purchasers money. Probably safe, but I'm just a bit leery to give pay pal that number. Maybe in time I'll get used to the idea.

At present time, I dont see myself selling very much gear and am more in the acquisition phase. But, was hoping to find a good way to sell my gear without pay pal, thus the reason for the original post.

That is between you and Paypal. The other party in your transaction has no access to any of that information. When I sell something, I just leave the money in the paypal account. I use paypal A LOT. So leaving a few bucks there for a few days is fine with me.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 16, 2015 00:58 |  #21

silvermesa1 wrote in post #17820002 (external link)
I have used pay pal as a buyer on FM and it has worked great. I'm a bit apprehensive to use it as a seller since I have to give them my checking account number. Just looking for a reasonable alternative.

You only need to give PayPal a checking account number to initially verify your account. You can open a checking account expressly for that purpose and close it after the account is verified. The downside is that you can't cash-out your PayPal balance; but you can get a PayPal debit MasterCard to spend the balance. I had my PayPal setup that way for seven years without any trouble, only linked a valid checking account when I started selling things on-line.

If you do link your checking account to PayPal I suggest linking a separate account from a different bank than your regular bank account(s). Most banks have the right to offset overdrafts against any account you hold with the same bank. I had a PayPal merchant charge me twice for a $400+ transaction, which overdrew my PayPal-linked checking account. While I was going through the bank's dispute process they decided to offset the overdraft against my separate household checking account, which then caused my mortgage and other payments to bounce. Eventually it all got sorted out and the bank refunded the fees, but it took 2 or 3 months of almost daily effort to get any action.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,305 posts
Gallery: 183 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Dec 16, 2015 10:56 |  #22

carpenter wrote in post #17820086 (external link)
If the buyer files a dispute he still has to show that he returned the item. You would have an electronic copy (text, email messages) showing that the intent was to meet in person to sell the item so the buyer can't claim it was never shipped. The buyer has to show the item was returned to get a refund.

Not so. The buyer doesn't have to return the item. . Rather, he/she can say that he/she never received the item. . They can say that the seller sent texts and emails to arrange the meeting, then never showed up.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

carpenter
Goldmember
2,631 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 16, 2015 20:45 |  #23

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17821123 (external link)
Not so. The buyer doesn't have to return the item. . Rather, he/she can say that he/she never received the item. . They can say that the seller sent texts and emails to arrange the meeting, then never showed up.

Not per Paypal's terms of service for Buyer Protection.
13.3 Ineligible Items. Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:
For INR claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought through In-Store Checkout at the retail point of sale

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 29, 2015 14:59 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

You do realize that back in the days, without PayPal, that was how people trade and sell things on the message boards....There were no other ways back then. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

3,963 views & 2 likes for this thread
Postal Money Order
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.