Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 15 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Vintage lenses for a7R II?

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 15, 2015 08:34 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

What older but still good vintage lenses would you recommend.

I heard people recommending bunch of Contax Zeiss glass, but those can be very expensive, at that price point i would prefer to buy newer glass.

Gear List

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,702 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 15, 2015 23:16 |  #2

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=644277
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1228845

There's a lot of lenses out there, your question is way too vague.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

lens ­ pirate
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 18, 2015 10:52 |  #3

I love using vintage glass on my A7 cameras.

Now with the In body stabilization it breaths new life into them. I suggest looking at the Minolta and Ashai Takumar stuff.
Prices are going up on this old glass right now because of the Mirrorless camera tech and new demands for this glass.
Take a look at my gear list for a idea of what is out there. Let me know if you have questions.

INSANE GEAR LIST
Sun flare.... the new selective color. JUST SAY NO

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 24, 2015 16:26 |  #4

Pentax Ashai SMC lenses are pretty well regarded and reasonably priced too <$100, I picked up some cheaper Russian glass which is cheaper still to test them out and really like shooting with them!

I've got Zenitar and Helios 50mm's.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2016 09:35 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

lens pirate wrote in post #17823627 (external link)
I love using vintage glass on my A7 cameras.

Now with the In body stabilization it breaths new life into them. I suggest looking at the Minolta and Ashai Takumar stuff.
Prices are going up on this old glass right now because of the Mirrorless camera tech and new demands for this glass.
Take a look at my gear list for a idea of what is out there. Let me know if you have questions.

impressive gear list, I'm trying to find some standard zoom and wide angle lenses with nice bokeh, even some "creative" bokeh.
Been going to flea markets but nothing so far...

Gear List

Trad59
40 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by Trad59. (4 edits in all)

Jan 22, 2016 00:46 |  #6

Contax glass expensive? maybe some of the super speeds like the 35 and 85 f1.4, but I honestly think the standard lineup like the 50's, the 28 2.8, 85 2.8 and 135 2.8 are still some of the best value alt glass around. Yes prices are inching up across the board for some of this stuff, but that's because of (finite) supply and (increasing?) demand, but that applies to nearly all good vintage glass.

Just something else to keep in mind: focus ring rotation direction. What I understand (& happy to be advised otherwise) is:

Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Zeiss Contax and Leica R  lenses all focus from infinity to mfd by rotating the focus ring in same direction 
(clockwise) when viewed from behind the camera

Nikon and Pentax lenses like Takuma, focus via rotation in the reverse direction.

Lens Mount rotation direction is also reversed,  and I think third party manufacturers eg Samyang, Sigma, Tamron would be set up with focus rotation as per mount ie Canon or Nikon direction

Not only could / will this slow you down while manual focussing, but depending on how you adapt your lenses, there's also the increased potential of a lens drop while you're changing lenses of differing mount rotation.

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 07, 2016 21:48 |  #7

u can't go wrong with any minolta manual lenses,they were built like tanks all metal,i have a ton of minolta from 24mm to 200mm,they are all awesome,the 50mm f1.7 is prob the cheapest sharpest lens available. u can get them for 20$ all day long,i have a 135mm 2.8 thats awesome,the colours are great,also look for konica they are great on the sony,i don't mind the backwards mounts of the nikon stuff,i have a 60mm macro that i like,find some old minolta stuff they are great

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2016 22:01 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

anyone tried Yashica 28-50 3.5?

Gear List

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,702 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Mar 07, 2016 22:51 |  #9

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17927557 (external link)
anyone tried Yashica 28-50 3.5?

I don't have any Yashica zooms, but I have several Yashica primes and all of them are excellent. I actually prefer my Yashica 50mm's over my C/Y Zeiss 50/1.7.

If you're looking for a good vintage zoom in that range though, the C/Y Zeiss 35-70/3.4 is pretty much legendary, but not "cheap" in the way most think of vintage lenses ($400-600), but it holds it's own even against the best zooms today. Another great and much cheaper option (and one I actually can vouch for) is the Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro. The Minolta design was supposedly later bought by Leica and used as their 35-70/4 for R mount, no idea how true that is, but mine is a very good lens :)

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2016 23:00 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17927607 (external link)
I don't have any Yashica zooms, but I have several Yashica primes and all of them are excellent. I actually prefer my Yashica 50mm's over my C/Y Zeiss 50/1.7.

If you're looking for a good vintage zoom in that range though, the C/Y Zeiss 35-70/3.4 is pretty much legendary, but not "cheap" in the way most think of vintage lenses ($400-600), but it holds it's own even against the best zooms today. Another great and much cheaper option (and one I actually can vouch for) is the Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro. The Minolta design was supposedly later bought by Leica and used as their 35-70/4 for R mount, no idea how true that is, but mine is a very good lens :)

i got a chance to pick up a Yashica 50 1.7 as well. not sure if I should.

Gear List

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,702 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway. (3 edits in all)

Mar 07, 2016 23:11 |  #11

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17927618 (external link)
i got a chance to pick up a Yashica 50 1.7 as well. not sure if I should.

Most people say that's their best 50mm (if it's the ML), I have one and I like it quite a bit, but I like the f1.4 and f2 better.

Here's a shot from the ML f1.7 on my a7S;

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/675/20849029888_6b8484054c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xLmJ​dy  (external link) DSC07122.jpg (external link) by Lucas Graenicher (external link), on Flickr

The ML version generally goes for about $50. I got mine for $50 with the 50/2 thrown is as a freebee basically, I like the f2 more mostly because it's a pancake lens and it's as sharp wide open as the f1.7 is stopped to f2 if not sharper. The Yashica ML primes are very well built, they're all metal, have very well damped focus rings, firm but not too stiff aperture rings and very nice rendering in my opinion. Their coatings aren't the best out there, but there better than most lenses of their era.

I also have the Yashica 50/1.7 DS-M which is the precursor to the ML line and I like it a lot too, it was actually my first vintage lens :)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by maverick75.

Mar 07, 2016 23:39 |  #12

Minolta glass and Pentax are the only sorta cheap markets but even those are skyrocketing because mirrorless and the recent new pentax full frame.

Flea markets are pure luck, some people find Leicas for $8 and I cant even find a Canon AE for under $40 locally. Heck I see people asking $15+ for broken film point and shoots, its ridiculous .

Also ebay is a gamble since almost everything is sold "as is" these days and the risk of fungus and broken apertures are super common.

Take a look at the for sale section here I always see vintage glass for sale and you dont have to worry about bad suprises. I stopped buying on ebay because of that. Too many lenses listed as good condition and turned out to be junk.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

nekrosoft13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 08, 2016 08:56 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17927624 (external link)
Most people say that's their best 50mm (if it's the ML), I have one and I like it quite a bit, but I like the f1.4 and f2 better.

Here's a shot from the ML f1.7 on my a7S;

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xLmJ​dy  (external link) DSC07122.jpg (external link) by Lucas Graenicher (external link), on Flickr

The ML version generally goes for about $50. I got mine for $50 with the 50/2 thrown is as a freebee basically, I like the f2 more mostly because it's a pancake lens and it's as sharp wide open as the f1.7 is stopped to f2 if not sharper. The Yashica ML primes are very well built, they're all metal, have very well damped focus rings, firm but not too stiff aperture rings and very nice rendering in my opinion. Their coatings aren't the best out there, but there better than most lenses of their era.

I also have the Yashica 50/1.7 DS-M which is the precursor to the ML line and I like it a lot too, it was actually my first vintage lens :)

my mistake he got a yashica 50 1.9 for sale, is that any decent?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

trying to decide if I should bother... don't even have an adapter for it, so wouldn't be able to test it.

Gear List

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 08, 2016 09:14 |  #14

That is the DSB version- an earlier version with single coatings that was the standard kit lens with many camera bodies. The DS-M, MC or ML versions are multi-coated.

It's not bad, but not special either. You can buy one on ebay for $15- $25.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,702 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway. (2 edits in all)

Mar 08, 2016 11:13 |  #15

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17927982 (external link)
my mistake he got a yashica 50 1.9 for sale, is that any decent?

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nekrosoft13 in
./showthread.php?p=179​27982&i=i90006422
forum: Sony Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nekrosoft13 in
./showthread.php?p=179​27982&i=i85324898
forum: Sony Cameras

trying to decide if I should bother... don't even have an adapter for it, so wouldn't be able to test it.

It depends on how much he's asking. The 50/1.9 ML should be just as good as my 50/2. The picture you linked is an older version though, not an ML, I'm not sure if they used different optics from the ML versions, but the coatings won't be as good for sure.

How much is the seller looking to get for each lens?

sponsored links

6,882 views & 1 like for this thread
Vintage lenses for a7R II?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.