Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Dec 2015 (Saturday) 11:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting my canon 17-55mm tightened

BLACKFISH808
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 08, 2015 06:33 |  #16

Not gonna lie but this is Hawaii. Lots of stolen/"forgotten" cameras and many people don't know value here.

sponsored links
Lyndön
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Lyndön.

Dec 08, 2015 06:39 |  #17

Too good to be true usually is, for one reason or another. Most people around here who don't know the value of gear charge way too much. Like ancient Rebels, body only, for $500. :eek:

I wouldn't knowingly buy stolen gear.

GEAR LIST

BLACKFISH808
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 08, 2015 06:48 |  #18

Is there a way to tell if it is stolen? We have lots of overpriced stuff too lol. Search Hawaii Craigslist and you'll see. I see many of the ads saying no shipping so I'm guessing many off island people see the ads

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 08, 2015 10:18 |  #19

There are services like LensTag.com and others where you can check serial #'s of used gear before you buy. But that depends on the owner registering their gear, of course.

Either way, if someone is selling a functioning 16-35mm f2.8L for $150, something is fishy.

There are lots of scams on Craigslist. The "no shipping" thing I see for most ads on there. There are always those "will you ship to my brother in South Africa" emails. Ugh!

GEAR LIST

BLACKFISH808
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 08, 2015 11:08 |  #20

I constantly see cheap lens here in Hawaii fishy or not. And I know the local shops have bought some of them. We're talking box and everything. Anyways thanks to everyone that chimed in. And lol to the African brother statement

crbinson
603 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 10, 2015 18:55 |  #21

BLACKFISH808 wrote in post #17811551 (external link)
I constantly see cheap lens here in Hawaii fishy or not. And I know the local shops have bought some of them. We're talking box and everything. Anyways thanks to everyone that chimed in. And lol to the African brother statement

Just had to look on CL...saw everything from a 5DII for $1650 to a Sigma 35 1.4 Art for $150.

Not sure if I should leave my gear at home or bring extra cash when I go there! Maybe both! ;-)a

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by InfiniteDivide.

Dec 10, 2015 22:14 |  #22

^ Off topic but the same applies here in the Tokyo area.

People asking $2,000 USD for 5 year old gear than can be bought up individual for $900
I have never seen a 'too good to be true listing' just people asking brand new prices for their used gear unfortunately.
Which is very surprising because the camera shops are filled with used gear at resoanible prices.

Seems like Craiglsit here should be great photographer to photographer, cutting out the middle-man store markup :(

Here is an average posting that has no buyer and is reposted continuously.

http://tokyo.craigslis​t.jp/pho/5310575209.ht​ml (external link)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 10, 2015 22:25 |  #23

CL can occasionally be a good source, if the seller is knowledgable about the used gear market. Unfortunately, people don't seem to think cameras depreciate. There was a Canon XTI with kit 18-55's (the old crap version) for $400 locally here the other day. Of course the listing states how they originally paid x amount for it, and now they'll "sacrifice" it for this low low price.

You just have to weed through a ton of crap to get to the few decent deals. I've set up an IFTTT trigger that will send me new emails for a specific local CL search. For example, I get an email about every Photo/Video post that contains the word "Canon". I've also set up specific triggers for exact items I've been looking for, and it'll alert you when one is posted. It actually works pretty well, and I don't spend much time looking at CL for deals.

You'd think the seller would learn once their item doesn't sell, that something is wrong. There's been 2-3 ads constantly on my local CL for months.

GEAR LIST

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 16, 2015 12:55 |  #24

Zoom creep is pretty normal for the 17-55. If you don't want to use a regular rubber band, you could always pick something like this up:

http://amzn.com/B0050K​EEW0 (external link)

Probably want to make sure the sizing is right for the 17-55 before purchasing.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

BLACKFISH808
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 16, 2015 17:24 as a reply to  @ mikepj's post |  #25

Thanks, never seen that before

sponsored links

4,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting my canon 17-55mm tightened
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.