Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Dec 2015 (Thursday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dealing with MONSTER size files and 4gb limits

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 17, 2015 13:20 |  #16

Merge layers you don't need separate, especially layers that have full coverage of the layer with pixels. Use adjustment layers where practical. If you only adjust a small area of an image on a layer select that area, invert selection, delete the rest of the image.

And psb of course.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 17, 2015 14:06 |  #17

You must have a GInormus number of layers. I do 28,800 pixel wide banners all the time and I dont come near 4gb for a file size.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 17, 2015 15:15 |  #18

tim wrote in post #17822596 (external link)
Merge layers you don't need separate, especially layers that have full coverage of the layer with pixels. Use adjustment layers where practical. If you only adjust a small area of an image on a layer select that area, invert selection, delete the rest of the image.

And psb of course.

There are though many occasions where you need full layer pixel coverage, usually for the times you are using blend modes other than normal. Most of the work I do in PS throws up this issue. Fortunatly I'm not using a 50 MP sensor, and making big panos.

Another thing that will also really boost file size is complex layer masks on lots of layers. OK they are only greyscale, but it's still a byte per pixel. Are layer masks only 8 bit, or do they follow the settings for the image? Oh and I bet the OP is working in 16 bits per channel too.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Hen3Ry.

Dec 21, 2015 12:56 |  #19

Bcaps wrote in post #17822416 (external link)
PS does not let you save a TIFF larger than 4GB, trying to do so will result in an error message in PS. So PSB is the only solution. Which which would be fine except that Adobe, the inventor of the PSB file format, will not support PSB in LR. So while you can take a photo from LR to PS and save it as a PSB, it will not show in LR. It's so very annoying.

I regularly hit the 4GB limit and as sensors keep cramming more and more megapixels in them, this will only get worse. I've asked Adobe multiple times why they won't recognize their own file format in LR but they have never given me a satisfactory answer. Even if they could only *read* PSB files most folks would be happy.

There is a workaround which I've been using for a while now. It's very easy to do and it works well:

1. In PS, make sure the top layer is a stamped layer
  2. Save as .PSB in PS to the same directory as the original file
  3. Ctrl-click top layer and Ctrl-C to copy.
  4. Create a new document
  5. File/Place Linked and point to the psb file. This creates a layer with a smart object that is linked to the PSB file and any further changes to the PSB file will be reflected in this new TIFF file.
  6. Save the file as a .tiff in the same directory as the original (you will need to change the extension to .tiff first in the save dialog). Then go into LR and snyc that folder.
  7. Now you are done. Any time you want to edit the psb, you locate the TIFF in LR, and select edit in PS. When in PS double click the smart object in the layer which will then open the psb. Any further edits to the psb will be automatically updated in the tiff. I also assign the purple label to these linked TIFF's and also create a smart collection so that I can see all of them with one click.

I didn't come up with this method, the gentleman who did posted a video here (external link).

That's pretty clever. But by extension, the use of a smart object, Placed under the File Menu, either standalone (embedded) or connected (linked) is an excellent and easy way to print.

Once I've reached "print status" that's exactly what I do. I open a new document sized to the paper I intend to use, then place a Smart Object, usually a PSD. This allows me to resize the image without degradation (that I can see, anyhow). One of the ways this is useful is to be able to print two completely different images on a single large sheet of paper. In any event, it gives you the capability to resize any image you've saved, and, when that object is changed, to incorporate those changes in new prints of older images.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

wcameron
THREAD ­ STARTER
527 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 08, 2016 11:14 as a reply to  @ post 17822416 |  #20

Awesome. That will definitely help. I did find a solution to many of my file size limits. I realized that compressing the tif does NOT compress the layers within the image. I took a closer look at the tif saving dialog and noticed the option to compress the layers as well. Once I chose the ZIP option most of my files drop below the 4 gb maximum but I will definitely use the technique you suggest for my really big files.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ward
http://Facebook.com/Wa​rdCameronPhotography (external link)

Canon EOS 5Ds, Canon EOS 6D, Rebel XTi, Sony RX100, GoPro Helmet Hero

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

9,297 views & 1 like for this thread
Dealing with MONSTER size files and 4gb limits
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.