Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 29 Aug 2015 (Saturday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d mark ii settings for wildlife

cole4570
582 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined May 2014

Aug 29, 2015 14:25 |  #1

Just ordered my 7dii, heading to Yellowstone Park next weekend. I am hoping that this will pair well with my Sigma 150-600C. I was wondering what you all have found for optimum settings with this camera. I know it has a pretty steep learning curve, but I'm just looking for suggestions for starting points. Thanks in adavance, Cole

Be Better today than Yesterday, strive to Be better Tomorrow than today
Flikr: https://flic.kr/ps/2TN​QqE (external link) http://chasingthewildo​utdoors.zenfolio.com (external link)
Gear: Canon 7Dii | Canon T3i/600D | Canon 5Dii | Canon 24-105L | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS II | Canon 55-250 EF-S IS STM | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 C | Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Yongnuo YN-565 | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT

sponsored links
daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 29, 2015 15:47 |  #2

Can't help you Cole, I don't have one yet. Just wanted to say congrats!

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 29, 2015 17:36 |  #3

Arthur morris has a series of videos on the Canon Digital learning center site. All 7 videos take only 42 minutes. Thre videos deal solely with 7d2 settings.

I'm still pretty low on the learning curve but I leave the camera in AI servo, usually manual or manual with auto ISO, case 2.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 30, 2015 07:40 |  #4

TerryMiller wrote in post #17687924 (external link)
Arthur morris has a series of videos on the Canon Digital learning center site. All 7 videos take only 42 minutes. Thre videos deal solely with 7d2 settings.

I'm still pretty low on the learning curve but I leave the camera in AI servo, usually manual or manual with auto ISO, case 2.

Can you post a link?

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

recrisp
Goldmember
2,467 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 30, 2015 08:05 as a reply to  @ Sgt.'s post |  #5

Here's a link to Arthur's settings on the 7D mkII, plus, if you look on the right-hand side, there you can see more videos that are helpful. More than likely this is the same as what was mentioned earlier, if not, these will still be beneficial, I hope.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=BNAk3_Ao6QE (external link)

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 30, 2015 15:58 |  #6

Sgt. wrote in post #17688475 (external link)
Can you post a link?

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …pr?keyword=arth​ur+morris+ (external link)

This is the best I can do now. It's better to search him as an explorer of light but it's beyond me on this ipad.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 17, 2015 14:30 |  #7

Thanks!

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 17, 2015 15:41 |  #8

Birds in flight? Large mammals? Close up? Far away? All sort of makes a difference.

I.e. there is no one solution (of course).

I would spend quite a bit of time with your Sigma dock (if you have one) getting the AF set up and accurate. It can make a pretty big difference depending on how sticky you are with precise focus.

FWIW I just took that combo to Africa in Oct/Nov this year. I didn't have too much time to set everything up/practice (getting good shots at 600mm takes practice) but had a fantastic time with it. Not the keeper rate I was hoping for but it was still a very nice combo to use. Low keepr rate was mostly my fault and poor conditions for clear shots.

I will say that beyond the gear, getting closer will do more to improve your shots than anything. Although less of a problem in Yellowstone than Africa, atmospheric effects can wreck havoc on your images at long distance.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

sponsored links

4,085 views & 1 like for this thread
7d mark ii settings for wildlife
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.