Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,962 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 19, 2015 13:44 |  #5161

Pondrader wrote in post #17824589 (external link)
Yes I guess I need to be specific and I think people tend to read into a comment, shooting a camera for 20 mins will not write anything in stone. This loaner is at factory and we all seen the back focus of the camera in the first images of the muskrat, I'm not understanding where everyone is thinking I said this loaner is the greatest thing since sliced beard.

It's completely unknown to me ?? I shot at 30 to 60 feet and it back focused gschlact picked up on that right off the bat !!

I shot it yesterday at 4 to 8 feet shooting birds and it's putting the same birds at the far back of the focus at close distance. All this is happening at the long end of the lens. So if some one can tell me how to get a lens to put focus 6 inches forward at 30 feet and an inch and a half at back at 6 feet at the same 400mm I'm all ear's,

I'm not talking about 100mm and 400mm I'm talking distance to target changes not mm to target ??
If it was front focusing at 100mm and back at 400 mm then I believe we all know what to do.

You do realize as the subject fills less of the frame at greater distance it is very easy for a AF point to be touching something else of greater contrast. Shooting a very small subject in a frame makes it easy for the AF point to cover an area larger than you think.

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,044 posts
Gallery: 2258 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 19, 2015 14:13 as a reply to  @ butterfly2937's post |  #5162

You have seen my stuff Carol, for the last year I've tried to show people there are good 7DII's out there, You your self said this camera was no good, when everyone thought otherwise I stood up and showed them what I could do back in the beginning. Anyone who thinks I don't know how to run a 7DII should look at my images. I thought people new me around here so I went out of my way to try and show what I was dealing with. There's no reasoning with people that only chime in to tell you to read the manual.

My cameras work flawlessly before it went to service ..and now you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. No reading of a manual is going to fix it. And I've shown that this camera can shoot at very long distance with remarkable results it was my first remark about this camera last november.

If your husband came home after a car accident and walked though your house in his muddy boots and sat down on your lovely leather couch in your beautiful living room and put his feet up on your coffee table,....would you think you should read his manual or that you have forgotten how to run that poor man. I think not

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

RodS57
735 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 19, 2015 15:16 |  #5163

Pondrader, your attitude and patience has been remarkable through this whole ordeal. You've handled all this much better than I ever could. Unfortunately, it seems over this past week you are starting to unravel. Ignore the posts you don't like and go do what you do best, take some pictures. Some red fur, snow and quiet reflection will do you good. :-)

Still keeping fingers crossed for you and Kim.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

WrightImage
21 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 19, 2015 15:21 |  #5164

Archibald wrote in post #17824787 (external link)
Are you calling me names?

Why would he or anyone else call you names.....?

Dave

Honey ­ Monster
175 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Honey Monster. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2015 15:35 |  #5165

My malfunctioning wildlife detector seems to have fixed itself. Now I just need to improve my skills, so that I get a better hit rate. To date all my focus problems have been down to user error. I thought I was experiencing real problems when shooting in any of the zone modes s almost nothing was in focus. Single or expanded point was fine. I found out that somehow, without realising it, I had shift from AI Servo to One Shot. I'm not sure exactly when, but I have a habit of using the Q button to alter settings rather than learning all the buttons to use with the camera to my eye. I have a feeling that the I might have activated the controls on my new grip and inadvertently changed the setting. My 2 lessons are to stop using the Q button if I can and to turn of the grip buttons, unless I need them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,044 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 19, 2015 15:42 |  #5166

Archibald wrote in post #17824786 (external link)
Not all Canon bodies can MFA, so Canon has to manufacture its lenses to work with all bodies. All bodies should work well with all lenses if they are up to spec. By 'well' I mean for an average user who might not be too discerning.

But some of us are fussy, and rightfully so, because we want the most out of our gear. We want the sharpest focus even wide open. For us, there is MFA. We need to use MFA to get optimal AF.

Don advised to read the manual. It came with the camera for a reason. It has the necessary info in it to do MFA. But manuals are hard to read. So if manuals are a problem, then get the info you need from the Web or from POTN folks.

The point is, learn to use the capabilities of the camera so you can use it to full potential.

Alternatively, if you don't want to do that, don't blame the gear.

Very true.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Dec 19, 2015 15:52 |  #5167

Pondrader wrote in post #17824750 (external link)
Your Funny Don,... Do you or have you shot the 7DII..?? I talk in images mostly and Ive posted three different camera's in this thread as of late so just maybe you are confused what is what
and I think you put a lot of faith in a thin little book. This is a thread for us guys that shoot the 7DII ... we have problems and we hash it out here right now. I sure don't post here so some guy can come and save my day by telling me to read the manual,... seriously ...Ive shot this 7DII camera's for over 100,000 images and I show what I'm talking about and seeing in images but posting them. I spent 8 months holding this camera up high and telling everyone that it is a great camera and proving it with the images I shot but if you can fix everyones problem in a few simple word """"READ YOUR MANUAL""" well we should all just smarten up and keep are mouths closed... so I'm gona do that.

I'm not saying the manual is a miracle book that provides a cure for everything.. What I was saying was if you look in the manual it says that you may need to MFA your gear sometimes, which is what your replacement camera needs...as numerous people on here are telling you....People are trying to help by offering advice but you don't listen...I'm not referring to your old problematic camera but your replacement on.... Canon is trying to sort your camera and hopefully they will but in the mean time just MFA the replacement and enjoy taking some photos.

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,971 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2015 16:21 |  #5168

Archibald wrote in post #17824768 (external link)
Learn how to MFA before condemning Canon service.

I'm sorry, but have you read any of this thread?
Did you see any of the many things that Canon Canada "Service" has done to Jeff's camera in the past few weeks?

It's great that after several months Jeff was finally able to get someone to pay more attention to his issue and actually help rather than continue to cause more damage, kudos for CPS, but Canon Canada Service deserves some pretty heavy duty condemnation for the missteps they have taken on this whole episode.

Pushing someone to try MFA is fine and dandy, and heck I'd even back you on the suggestion in most cases.
I just think that here in this thread with this case, defending Canon Service as part of the discussion was a little, well off point.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,310 posts
Gallery: 286 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2015 16:44 |  #5169

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17824997 (external link)
I'm sorry, but have you read any of this thread?
Did you see any of the many things that Canon Canada "Service" has done to Jeff's camera in the past few weeks?

It's great that after several months Jeff was finally able to get someone to pay more attention to his issue and actually help rather than continue to cause more damage, kudos for CPS, but Canon Canada Service deserves some pretty heavy duty condemnation for the missteps they have taken on this whole episode.

There is no proof that there was anything wrong with Jeff's camera after its return from Canon service. True, there appeared to be focus errors, but these appeared to be consistent back focus. That did not look like a defect to me and should have been correctable by MFA. At the very least, Jeff should have tried MFA to resolve the problem - or send lens and body to Canon for them to do.

It is unwise to claim in public that a company has done something wrong if solid evidence for this is lacking.

I'm not a fan of Canon service and have had my own problems with them, but I don't agree that we should badmouth Canon just because we can't figure a problem out.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,662 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2015 18:07 |  #5170

It might be worth your while to return to the images he posted with that camera Archibald. It was clear to me that what you seem to be claiming as out of focus blur was not such. Rather it appeared to me to be really poor in-focus image quality

Gear List

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,310 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2015 18:30 |  #5171

smythie wrote in post #17825080 (external link)
It might be worth your while to return to the images he posted with that camera Archibald. It was clear to me that what you seem to be claiming as out of focus blur was not such. Rather it appeared to me to be really poor in-focus image quality

I don't think the quality of the image should be judged this way. I agree there is room for doubt, you might be right, but he should have done MFA to do the assessment properly.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,662 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2015 18:35 |  #5172

I don't understand. Why would you not make assessment on the quality of the in-focus image? If the quality of that in-focus area has somehow massively degraded (and in Pondrader's case this degradation was common to all lenses he tried with the body) what does it matter if the body and lens need +5 or -5 units of MFA?

Gear List

Lyn2011
532 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 19, 2015 19:58 |  #5173

Jeff and Kim ignore negative comments please and keep on going.

But I'm a little bit surprised to read that I need to MFA at every new location. If that is true , than I jump fence and look at mirrorless camera's.
Can anybody confirm if I did understand this right?
(In my opinion every lens should work well on every camera.)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,310 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2015 19:59 |  #5174

smythie wrote in post #17825102 (external link)
I don't understand. Why would you not make assessment on the quality of the in-focus image? If the quality of that in-focus area has somehow massively degraded (and in Pondrader's case this degradation was common to all lenses he tried with the body) what does it matter if the body and lens need +5 or -5 units of MFA?

If focus fell on a sloping mass of fur or feathers, it is hard to make sense of its sharpness or quality. A few controlled shots with objects at different distances would have clarified the situation, but there were no such shots.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Dec 19, 2015 20:07 |  #5175

Archibald

"There is no proof that there was anything wrong with Jeff's camera after its return from Canon service. True, there appeared to be focus errors, but these appeared to be consistent back focus. That did not look like a defect to me and should have been correctable by MFA. At the very least, Jeff should have tried MFA to resolve the problem - or send lens and body to Canon for them to do."

You need to rember this only your opinion. Most everybody else is fine with how Jeff has handled the situation.

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

sponsored links

1,297,620 views & 2,724 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.