Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 03 Dec 2015 (Thursday) 10:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My refurb arrived dead and customer service doesn't care

former ­ cso ­ guy
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 03, 2015 10:13 |  #1

As a former Canon employee in their Lake Success office...now Melville, I always heard great things about refurbs. In general, I don't trust or buy refurbs, but since it's Canon I went ahead and bought a lowly Elph 135 since it was only $40 and a perfect beater for my four year old to start learning on. Even better, there was a "free 2 day shipping" promotional code you can apply.

The camera arrives about a week later (so much for the code), I charge the battery overnight...and the camera doesn't turn on. So I check the instruction manual...maybe there's some new "feature" I have to enable for the camera to turn on. No...it's dead.

Queue the nuisance of dealing with customer support. I call Canon and was hoping customer service would just send me a new one today so I can get it in a timely manner instead of waiting 24-48 hours for the return label (why/how it takes two days to send an email is beyond me) and the additional week+ for the dead camera to arrive at Canon and for them to process it. Add to that the week it'll take for them to ship the replacement. We're talking NEARLY A MONTH for an exchange when factoring in the week it took to get the original dead one. Guess I'll buy something from Nikon since who knows if I'll get this thing by X-mas.

I asked if they can just send the replacement out today and I'll send them their broken one in the meantime (kind of like how Canon's loyalty program works, or ANYTHING you buy from a reputable e-commerce site like "big river" where your replacement comes to you in two days and you have two months to return the defective item). Service rep says no. I asked if they can expedite it since they sent me a dud. Service rep says no...and on top of that, the 2-day shipping code I used apparently was for printers only...although it was accepted at time of purchase. Fix your website, Canon.

When I worked there, Canon prided itself for its customer service/support. Maybe things have changed since I was last there about 3 years ago. Hopefully they still read these posts and see this. Still there Jan???? Can you work your magic???

(legal, lawsuit, fire, exploded, smoke, class action, classaction) Shout out to Teddy and Aidan!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,276 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2015 10:18 |  #2

So you added a seo line to your first post which seems solely intended to trash canon. Co!or me skeptical.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,297 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 03, 2015 10:32 |  #3

Wow. A rant against a corporate entity on a forum by a new member. Someone notify Internet historians immediately. This has NEVER happened before.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

former ­ cso ­ guy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 20, 2015 19:26 |  #4

UPDATE:

Order placed on November 22. Nearly one month later, the exchange still hasn't arrived. At this point I wonder if it will arrive at all.

Has it taken anybody else a month or more to get an exchange from Canon?

Five days till Christmas, Canon!!!!

Cameron ­ Hagen
287 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2015 19:37 as a reply to  @ former cso guy's post |  #5

i sent my 1DS3 in for repair and they finished a day late so they sent me a 1dx in the meantime. I got the 1DX the day I was supposed to get my 1DS back. I know its not really an exchange but their customer service has been great to me.

| 5Dc | 7D | 1D3 | 1Ds3 | 17-40 4.0 | 28 1.8 | 40 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 135 2.0 | ∑ 24-70 | ∑ 70-200 OS |
In need of : 300

JLRplsFL
20 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 20, 2015 19:48 |  #6

Sent my 5d3 back that failed at swimming. Called one week before Christmas to ask for an ETA, so I would know if I needed to rent a camera for a trip. Customer service informed me they could not get mine repaired and back before I left so they sent me a new 5d3 in exchange.

James/Louis
5D Mark lll w/BG-E11
24-105mm f/4L, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
600EX-RT w/Harbor Digital XT Extender

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,413 posts
Gallery: 487 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (2 edits in all)

Dec 20, 2015 20:16 |  #7

What are you complaining about ... here in the Philippines i gave (not sent > gave at the Canon consumer service itself) a lens to repair, it took 4 months to get it back, badly repaired it took one more month.
"It's more fun in the Philippines (external link)" as they advertise everywhere :p

Patrice
150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

former ­ cso ­ guy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 23, 2015 16:10 |  #8

Well at least some folks are having a better experience with Canon's customer support..in the US at least.

I called Canon yet again yesterday. This time the woman explained all sorts of behind-the-scenes stuff that made no sense to me which ultimately translated to "we f'ed up and your replacement was never shipped."

She told me she'd send one overnight and that it would arrive today. It didn't arrive today. Hopefully on Christmas Eve. Otherwise I gotta explain to my 4yo that Santa (aka Canon) screwed up.

When I asked about the freebies they offered me as a gesture of good will (case and strap) for initially sending me a dead camera, she kind of laughed and said "oh no, those are long gone."

Goodbye Canon. Your US-based customer support is awful and as emotionless as an automated system or robot. Put the script down and talk to me like a human.

Here's to hoping I get a working camera 32 days after placing the order!!!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,718 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 21, 2016 20:06 |  #9

former cso guy wrote in post #17805788 (external link)
As a former Canon employee in their Lake Success office.

Hopefully they still read these posts and see this. Still there Jan???? Can you work your magic??? Shout out to Teddy and Aidan!

So you worked there, knew of at least three other employees (Jan, Teddy and Aidan) and you could not have talked to one of them by phone?

Chopper ­ Al
743 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 22, 2016 14:15 |  #10

So, did you ever get your working camera in time?

former ­ cso ­ guy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 05, 2016 13:59 as a reply to  @ Chopper Al's post |  #11

After a few more phone calls, it finally arrived on X-mas Eve.

Good thing I ordered it over a month in advance.

sponsored links

4,826 views & 2 likes for this thread
My refurb arrived dead and customer service doesn't care
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.