Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Ranger Lithium Battery

PeterOz
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 10, 2014 05:14 |  #76

Hi everyone, I've been following this discussion for some time and have done my own searching for a battery supplier/manufacturer here in Australia for my RX Speed. I recently found a place in Sydney, called 'Fusion AGM Batteries'. They produce a lithium battery which is 12V/15Ah (V-LFP-12-15) and has the correct dimensions and battery terminals.......hoping the extra 3Ah won't be a problem.
I'll call their number this week and hopefully can talk to somebody who is clued up.

sponsored links
Sheldon ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 10, 2014 10:10 |  #77

Sounds like a good deal. The 3Ah should probably just mean more total capacity so you might get even more than 300 full power pops off a fully charged battery. It's a half pound heavier than the one I'm using, so I'd guess they just have more internal cells giving it more capacity.

When you talk to them, I'd ask about what the max current draw is for sustained use and peak use. The peak number is important to make sure it's got enough capability to handle the initial capacitor draw during a single recycle (if it doesn't the pack may think the battery is low and simple refuse to recycle). The sustained use figure could give you a clue as to how well it would handle constant/repeated full power pop discharges if you were running it aggressively.

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 10, 2014 11:04 |  #78

My replacement batteries are still working and no damages to my quadra from my last posting 4 months ago.

I AM SHOM

PeterOz
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 11, 2014 06:40 |  #79

Just an update, I received a call from a Fusion rep this morning, after my email to them last night.
After explaining what my application was to be for the battery, he seemed quite confident that the unit I was looking into would do the job without any worries.
Sheldon, I did not pose those question as you outlined, as I read them after the phone call I had, so ripped them another email asking that exact question, thanks for your input there. Also, I failed to thank you in my first posting, for sharing your experiences with the change over to the Lithium battery.
I will wait for another reply/phone call from them, hopefully tomorrow. I'm feeling much more confident after speaking with the rep today. Forgot to mention, the rep did say that they had a few clients in the photography industry using their batteries already, but I didn't press him about which application it was.

PeterOz
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 6 years ago by PeterOz.

Mar 23, 2015 04:34 |  #80

Over three months to receive my battery!!
It's all done now, turns on ok, and is now charging.
Thanks for the install info, Sheldon.
So far so good.

Sheldon ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 23, 2015 10:27 |  #81

Nice, congrats! Mine's still going strong.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 23, 2015 14:02 |  #82

8 month still going strong as well and no side effects for the change

I AM SHOM

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 14, 2015 20:50 |  #83

abbadon31 wrote in post #17488432 (external link)
8 month still going strong as well and no side effects for the change

Great to know.. .I have 2 batteries I need to change out.

Thanks for the info
Hatch

BTW... love your work!

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

studio460
97 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2015

Jun 14, 2015 21:10 |  #84

OFF-TOPIC:

Sorry for the OT post, but I searched but couldn't find any relevant results. Does anyone here have any OEM supplier info for the Elinchrom Quadra Li-ion battery?

LEARN LIGHT LIGHTBASICS.COM (external link)

newmediaguru
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by newmediaguru.

Aug 15, 2015 15:15 as a reply to  @ abbadon31's post |  #85

Scott, thanks for the insight re: how to do this on the Quadra. Good to hear it's still working for you after all this time. A few questions:

1. Would you be able to share with us how you connected those two 14.8V 3200mAh 4s cells so they run in parallel and fit inside the Quadra housing?

2. Who is the manufacturer and do you think they would sell them direct to me already wired in parallel? You mentioned the manufacturer you were talking to sometimes does this on their end.

3. Do you know what kind of connectors are needed to make these work with the Quadra's T1/F1 terminals?

I'm thinking of getting two 14.8V 4200mAh 4s batteries such as these: http://www.ebay.com …50211?hash=item​2c93021cc3 (external link). Looks like they would just fit inside the lead gel housing. If it's not too hard to wire them in parallel, I could try to do it myself, but I am a neophite when it comes to wiring and have never done anything like this so I am tempted to find a manufacturer or distributor who can do this for me if it's complicated.

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 17, 2015 20:45 |  #86

Just wanted to stop in and give a huge thanks to Sheldon for this thread and idea. I bought mine on Thursday, got a shipping notification an hour later, and it arrived today (Saturday) with their standard ground shipping. I just did the swap (super easy) and was *amazed* at the difference in weight. I'm not a small guy, and always scoffed at the idea of getting a Quadra for my needs (the weight just isn't that big of an issue, and I'll always take the amazing power that a Ranger AS provides over lighter weight), but the weight difference is truly substantial. My new lithium battery is now charging, and after I give it a try tomorrow, I'll likely order 3 more of them (I own 3 rangers and a spare battery) to upgrade my whole fleet.

Aside from the weight benefit and the 50% increase in pops, another *huge* advantage of this upgrade to me is the fact that if I let them sit uncharged for a month or two at a time (I don't use them as much as I used to), there will be virtually zero battery degradation or loss of charge. I always have the 3 of them in my car, but I so rarely need them that it's a pain to pull them out just to charge them monthly, and I've undoubtedly degraded the battery through negligence/laziness over the years, so this is just a fantastic benefit for me.

Thanks so much, Sheldon!

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

Sheldon ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 20, 2015 11:35 |  #87

Glad you found it helpful! Let us know how it works out for you.

eleganteye
153 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 02, 2015 17:21 |  #88

I'm going to make this upgrade and keep my old battery. So I'm on the lookout for a dead Ranger RX battery or just a holder. If anyone has/sees one, I'm interested. I assume the RX and the RX Speed AS use the same holder?

Cheers, A K
Figure Art Photography (NSFW) (external link)

andywrightphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by andywrightphoto. (2 edits in all)

Nov 24, 2015 20:53 |  #89

z-monster wrote in post #16484339 (external link)
Yep mine is exactly the LC-R127R2PG1 with a 30A fuse. I was already attempting to call StarkPower about my batteries to see what they have available. So far it looks like StarkPower has two replacement choices. The owner and I will be able to toss in some additional info on Monday for those of who still use the standard RX.

Z-MONSTER, I was wondering if you had any follow-up information on converting your Elinchrom RX pack? I did a conversion a few years ago myself on the same, but it was very inconsistent when testing outside of the studio. I shoot in the snow and frigid conditions a lot, but this shouldn't affect it. Now it doesn't work at all. I'd like to give it another go perhaps with a different brand of battery. Below is a link to the battery I did the initial conversion with:

http://www.batteryspac​e.com …300-mAh-42Wh-7A-rate.aspx (external link)

Thanks for your help.

z-monster
95 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by z-monster. (5 edits in all)

Dec 20, 2015 22:14 as a reply to  @ andywrightphoto's post |  #90

I hope many of you Elinchrom users are ready for some old school equipment photos. The pack I was looking to revive at the time was my Elinchrom Ranger/Freestyle. The Elinchrom Ranger and Elinchrom Freestyle are essentially the same equipment at the time of release. The Ranger was marketed for the U.S. while the Freestyle was marketed everywhere else. So, if you STILL own either of these with a dead battery, consider yourself in luck!  :p

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …/Ranger%20RX/2B​7K0346.jpg (external link)

With the info Sheldon provided, I gave Stark a call and within a few days I had a new battery for my pack. The delivery was just in time too because I was on my way to Afghanistan to support US troops. I figured my Ranger, with two heads, was a perfect addition to my travel gear for times I wanted power while back in the safe confines of Bagram Airbase. For the near 12 months I was there, the Stark Power battery and my ranger survived snow, rain, heat and an insane amount of dust. Plus, the lithium battery is much lighter.  :p

As you can see in the photo below, the Ranger/Freestlye battery tray is set up quite differently than the Ranger RX that Sheldon provided in his photos. To the left is the Panasonic LC-R127R2PG1 and to the right is the Starkpower lithium battery. My Ranger has 30A fuses. I followed Sheldon's advise to the letter and got well over 250 full power pops with the lithium battery, when I took it to Afghanistan. I really do not recall ever having any issues.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …/Ranger%20RX/2B​7K0353.jpg (external link)

My Ranger has been in storage for well over a year now as I favor my Quadra's for my work. I had to pull the ol' Ranger out and charge it up just for the fun of it and I can say that it is indeed alive & well as of this writing. I may have to start using it again. I hope this helps everyone! :-D

My feedback

sponsored links

54,137 views & 5 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Ranger Lithium Battery
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.