Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 30 May 2006 (Tuesday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your best wife shots

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,354 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 20, 2015 10:46 |  #7081

I'm not even certain that it's the same woman.

Mark

sponsored links
OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,656 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2015 10:58 |  #7082

rrblint wrote in post #17825803 (external link)
I'm not even certain that it's the same woman.

I believe it is. If you compare details like the direction of hair growth and waves at her hairline, tonal shading in irises, shape of nose, shape of chin, they all match up. He did a marvelous job of showing how the shooting angle and technique can change a subject's appearance. The glasses and facial expression contribute, too. And all this seems to have been done without makeup.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

rrblint
22,354 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 20, 2015 11:06 |  #7083

OhLook wrote in post #17825818 (external link)
I believe it is. If you compare details like the direction of hair growth and waves at her hairline, tonal shading in irises, shape of nose, shape of chin, they all match up. He did a marvelous job of showing how the shooting angle and technique can change a subject's appearance. The glasses and facial expression contribute, too. And all this seems to have been done without makeup.

Agree about the nose, but disagree about hairline and irises. More of a widow's peak on top photo and irises of the subjects right eye are clearly different. Nose could have been PSed in.

Mark

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,656 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2015 12:55 |  #7084

rrblint wrote in post #17825825 (external link)
Agree about the nose, but disagree about hairline and irises. More of a widow's peak on top photo and irises of the subjects right eye are clearly different. Nose could have been PSed in.

I don't see any of those differences. Hairline looks the same to me. Lighting could affect shading in irises. In addition, this is the wife thread, and we can reasonably assume that the photographer has just one.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sidknee
Goldmember
1,687 posts
Gallery: 841 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 20, 2015 13:18 |  #7085

OhLook wrote in post #17825962 (external link)
In addition, this is the wife thread, and we can reasonably assume that the photographer has just one.

:)

rrblint
22,354 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 20, 2015 15:13 |  #7086

OhLook wrote in post #17825962 (external link)
I don't see any of those differences. Hairline looks the same to me. Lighting could affect shading in irises. In addition, this is the wife thread, and we can reasonably assume that the photographer has just one.

Hmm, maybe you are right. Anyway she's a pretty lady and I hope that the poster will return and give us the low down on these fascinating photos.

Mark

mihazero
189 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 20, 2015 21:22 |  #7087

lofthavenphoto wrote in post #17825193 (external link)
Going for a cinematic look in the first one and a noir look in the second. What do you think? Was I successful?
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by lofthavenphoto in
./showthread.php?p=178​25193&i=i184968590
forum: People

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=178​25193&i=i29074461

On both images her face is overprocessed. There are ways to do that without making it blunt about it. In my opinion, subtle is much more desirable in photography.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 20, 2015 22:24 as a reply to  @ post 17804161 |  #7088

Great Color Very Nice subject Warm Smile

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

lofthavenphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 21, 2015 00:09 |  #7089

lofthavenphoto wrote in post #17825193 (external link)
Going for a cinematic look in the first one and a noir look in the second. What do you think? Was I successful?
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=178​25193&i=i184968590

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=178​25193&i=i29074461

This is in fact one woman; my wife. The idea was to see how much of an age gap could make semi-realistic. I realize that there is the issue of over processing to some degree but my wife made an interesting point once I presented the images to her. She hated the Black n White one but loved the color one. She said it made her feel young again. The image looked like she did when she was in her mid 20s. I guess the point was that even though we see it as 'over processed' she saw it as a look back into time and absolutely loved the color image. She has ordered a 8x10 print of it.

So the question is; even if we think something is over processed but the client loves it and doesn't really like a more correctly processed version, then the client is right in terms of a deliverable?

In terms of which one I like? I like the Noir style portrait better. That is who I see everyday. But if you tell her that I will deny it! :-)

rrblint
22,354 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 21, 2015 00:32 |  #7090

lofthavenphoto wrote in post #17826599 (external link)
This is in fact one woman; my wife. The idea was to see how much of an age gap could make semi-realistic. I realize that there is the issue of over processing to some degree but my wife made an interesting point once I presented the images to her. She hated the Black n White one but loved the color one. She said it made her feel young again. The image looked like she did when she was in her mid 20s. I guess the point was that even though we see it as 'over processed' she saw it as a look back into time and absolutely loved the color image. She has ordered a 8x10 print of it.

So the question is; even if we think something is over processed but the client loves it and doesn't really like a more correctly processed version, then the client is right in terms of a deliverable?

In terms of which one I like? I like the Noir style portrait better. That is who I see everyday. But if you tell her that I will deny it! :-)

Very cool, thanks for the explanation. Give her what she wants, I say.:-)

Mark

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 21, 2015 06:06 |  #7091

lofthavenphoto wrote in post #17826599 (external link)

I thought some of the comments were a bit out of line, so congratulations on a graceful response and for getting shots that you and your wife wanted.

DanangMonkey
586 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by DanangMonkey.

Dec 21, 2015 11:45 |  #7092

tandemhearts wrote in post #17826729 (external link)
I thought some of the comments were a bit out of line, so congratulations on a graceful response and for getting shots that you and your wife wanted.

I second that.... If the customer is happy, then your work was a success!

The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture. - Raymond Chandler

lofthavenphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 21, 2015 19:57 |  #7093

tandemhearts wrote in post #17826729 (external link)

I didn't take offense. I knew going in that the over process comments would come. It really is a matter of personal taste. While most of my work does involve 'some' skin smoothing most are done just enough to make the people look a bit more glamorous. Most of my customers cannot afford the extra cost of a MUA so I tell them if they think they need it, just use a foundation minimally. Most everything can be fixed post production. Yeah, it's a bit more work but they usually get a few less shots to choose from than someone that has close to perfect complexion.

Thank you all for the comments. I look forward to learn from you all and trying new things!

DanangMonkey
586 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 21, 2015 20:21 |  #7094

Taking some time from work to play with my new Alien Bee Strobes.

[GALLERYIMAGE]: embed failed, id not found (image not in gallery any more)

The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture. - Raymond Chandler

lofthavenphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 21, 2015 20:26 as a reply to  @ DanangMonkey's post |  #7095

A nice softness in this image. I don't usually like this much softness but I think it works here! Nice!

sponsored links

5,332,768 views & 12,294 likes for this thread
Post your best wife shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.