Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 20 Dec 2015 (Sunday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No support from my spouse for photography - vent

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Dec 20, 2015 20:22 |  #1

Sorry about this but I'm upset that my husband is very unsupportive about me getting into photography. He says things like he hates the fact that I do photography, that of all the hobbies I could have picked, photography is without doubt the most annoying, and that if were to ever get a job doing photography it would be at Walmart making $10/hr. This despite the fact that I make a conscious effort to avoid doing anything photography related around him. If I do any photography in his presence (like when I want to try to capture a moment of one of my kids) he often tells me "there are things to be done", meaning housechores. And it's not as if I'm completely neglecting anything, I'm not. Tonight I confronted him about him telling me he never wants to see any umbrella out when he is around (even though he said, Come on, you don't really have a studio) and he completely denied he ever said it. I'm not really looking for advice, it's just difficult when I really enjoy learning about photography and practicing. It's rewarding to see a good capture I've done after learning something new, but having to avoid it as much as I can when my husband is around.

Vent over.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
Cameron ­ Hagen
287 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2015 20:27 |  #2

Damn. Im young/"single" so i dont have any advice for you but to prove him wrong. Im lucky enough to have a photographer girlfriend and supports me 100%. giving me critique on my work (even when i dont want it) but i appreciate it.

But yeah, Id say prove him wrong. there is nothing more rewarding than to feel accomplished and prove someone wrong at the same time :P The photography community is here for you with any questions you have about everything photography! Keep it up! dont lose heart!

| 5Dc | 7D | 1D3 | 1Ds3 | 17-40 4.0 | 28 1.8 | 40 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 135 2.0 | ∑ 24-70 | ∑ 70-200 OS |
In need of : 300

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,225 posts
Gallery: 1647 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MalVeauX.

Dec 20, 2015 20:29 |  #3

Sorry to hear that.

Think of the lovely photos your child/children will have to look back to when they're grown. They will appreciate it. And that's what matters.

Too bad it's not so simple to upgrade your spouse! ;)

Keep at the photography. Let them riot.

I've been fortunate in some regards. My daughter seems to like it, so in another few years, we will be a dynamic duo with lenses. And I don't care if we annoy her mother. ;)

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8733/16886566472_bfa2c88b55_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rJd4​TN  (external link) IMG_2940 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7606/16701620859_36becd4b8a_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rrSb​1k  (external link) IMG_2941 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 20, 2015 20:29 |  #4

I feel your pain. I've been married to the same lovely woman for 30 years. I've never gotten anything but a quick snapshot of her. She absolutely refuses to sit for photos, by herself or with me. I gave up taking a camera on vacations long ago. She just keeps walking if I want to stop for 30 seconds to take a picture.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 20, 2015 20:32 |  #5

Time for a new husband.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,154 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 20, 2015 20:36 |  #6

That sucks. Must be difficult being around somebody so negative all the time.

Is he an old school kinda' "stay barefoot and pregnant" type of guy?

Prove him wrong by taking absolutely stunning photos, get them printed and hang them on your wall.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,606 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2015 21:01 |  #7

atsilverstein wrote in post #17826432 (external link)
Sorry about this but I'm upset that my husband is very unsupportive about me getting into photography. He says things like he hates the fact that I do photography . . .

I'd be upset, too. My husband is supportive. If he has a critical thought about something I do, he puts it tactfully. Your husband sounds so selfish and insensitive that I wonder whether he's aware that spouses have emotional duties toward each other, even if not every detail is spelled out in the marriage ceremony.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2015 21:07 |  #8

It sounds as if your husband has more issues than ypur photographic endeavors. I read more than a hint of lack of respect for you as a partner and an equal in your words. Photography isnt the issue, respect is. If it werent photography he would be jealous amd resentful of something else.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 20, 2015 21:15 |  #9

Sorry to hear it but keep it up. Relationships often happen because people have different backgrounds to share with each other. You have to maintain your personal growth at all costs and really, photography is an innocuous endeavour for the most part. Well, unless your spending retirement savings on new gear that is ;-)a Maybe you could try to get to the root of what your spouse finds so threatening?

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Aswald.

Dec 20, 2015 21:22 |  #10

Sorry to hear that.

Your hubby sounds ignorant about photography.

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 20, 2015 21:50 |  #11

He is extremely disrespectful in this instance. Even if he hates photography he should be supportive of you and your interest.

Sevas Tra...

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Dec 20, 2015 22:33 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #12

Yes it is. And yes he is.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,723 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 20, 2015 22:50 |  #13

That's really a terrible thing to hear. I don't know how I would take such a thing from my spouse. I just can't imagine it.

Maybe look into a local club or something to see if you can find some like minded people to share your art with?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

GibJock
Kill killer
9,797 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Dec 20, 2015 23:51 |  #14

I agree with all the others, put succinctly, your hubby is a *^%#, don't be pressured into giving up your photography, you need some outlet it seems to me.

flickr (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,339 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 21, 2015 00:27 |  #15

It sounds as if your husband has more issues than ypur photographic endeavors. I read more than a hint of lack of respect for you as a partner and an equal in your words. Photography isnt the issue, respect is. If it werent photography he would be jealous amd resentful of something else.

^This. I would recommend speaking with a professional. Deeper stuff going on here.

sponsored links

10,822 views & 88 likes for this thread
No support from my spouse for photography - vent
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.