Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 21 Dec 2015 (Monday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this creepy? If so, why?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2015 12:52 |  #1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

These are photos of my wife; some are finished, some are in progress. They're on a wall in my office/studio. Sometimes it seems that people find this a little weird or creepy but we're not exactly sure. They're always surprised, to say the least. Last night we showed this to a friend and she said to my wife, "Whoa! Looks like you've got a stalker!" We were both a little taken aback so we didn't ask her exactly what she meant, but I've never heard "stalker" used in a positive way.

So I ask you impartial strangers, Is there something weird about putting pictures of my wife all over my wall and if so, what is it?
Thanks

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,745 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 21, 2015 13:30 |  #2

If the room is in your home, go for it. If the setting is more public, such as a rented office space where people pass by, it may be wise to make concessions to visitors' sensibilities.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 21, 2015 13:33 |  #3

There is a fine line between devotion and obsession. If I were a client I would find it a bit odd at least that you have only one subject dominating your space.

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,778 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2015 13:43 |  #4

To me the problem is not the subject as much as it is the arrangement of the photos.

It looks more like a scene out of one of the TV crime dramas where they have pictures haphazardly on the wall than the placement you typically see in a gallery.

Philip

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 21, 2015 13:56 |  #5

It would be creepy if you didn't know her and you just told people she was your wife. :eek:

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2015 14:47 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

It's a private space; no clients.
Thanks

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by ncjohn.

Dec 21, 2015 14:50 |  #7

Nogo wrote in post #17827273 (external link)
To me the problem is not the subject as much as it is the arrangement of the photos.

... the placement you typically see in a gallery.

I've never noticed a "typical" gallery; it seems to me they each have their own style. Could you give me an example?

I don't actually considered it "finished" though, it's a weird combination of some pieces hung exactly where I want them but then some of them are still being considered so I just put them up on the shelf while I ponder them, and also simply not having enough space. :-) But I'm still interested in what sort of arrangement you're talking about.
Thanks

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2015 14:53 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #17827254 (external link)
If the room is in your home, go for it. If the setting is more public, such as a rented office space where people pass by, it may be wise to make concessions to visitors' sensibilities.

Definitely in my home. I don't really know that people are finding it weird; it's just a feeling I get sometimes. And I don't think friends would be honest about it because they wouldn't want to hurt my feelings. But I don't want to creep our friends out either. :-) That's why I'm asking here.
Thanks

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,944 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by number six.

Dec 21, 2015 14:54 |  #9

gonzogolf wrote in post #17827260 (external link)
There is a fine line between devotion and obsession. If I were a client I would find it a bit odd at least that you have only one subject dominating your space.

Would you find it odd that I have a wall that's covered with cat pictures?

:p

I don't find ncjohn's display strange at all.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2015 14:55 |  #10

BlakeC wrote in post #17827285 (external link)
It would be creepy if you didn't know her and you just told people she was your wife. :eek:

Yeah, for sure.:-D

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,778 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2015 19:00 |  #11

ncjohn wrote in post #17827353 (external link)
I've never noticed a "typical" gallery; it seems to me they each have their own style. Could you give me an example?

I don't actually considered it "finished" though, it's a weird combination of some pieces hung exactly where I want them but then some of them are still being considered so I just put them up on the shelf while I ponder them, and also simply not having enough space. :-) But I'm still interested in what sort of arrangement you're talking about.
Thanks

A typical gallery has an arrangement. The arrangement may look haphazard or may be very organized. That depends on the style of the person who set up the gallery. What is typical is that it is arranged, however that may be. All the photographs you have setting on the counter or shelve without any type of framing is not what I would consider an "arrangement."

What your arrangement looks like to me is a work space, not a display. Take away all those lose photos and then to me it would look like a display "under construction," not a display ready to demonstrate your photography to customers or guests.

But being it is in your house and not where you are trying to influence customers or potential customers, what does it matter what anyone thinks about it?

Philip

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2015 19:21 |  #12

Nogo wrote in post #17827649 (external link)
A typical gallery has an arrangement. The arrangement may look haphazard or may be very organized. That depends on the style of the person who set up the gallery. What is typical is that it is arranged, however that may be. All the photographs you have setting on the counter or shelve without any type of framing is not what I would consider an "arrangement."

What your arrangement looks like to me is a work space, not a display. Take away all those lose photos and then to me it would look like a display "under construction," not a display ready to demonstrate your photography to customers or guests.

But being it is in your house and not where you are trying to influence customers or potential customers, what does it matter what anyone thinks about it?

You're right; it was originally intended to be a display but became a work space simply because of a lack of room.
When our friends who haven't been here before ask if they can have a tour of the house, it's always a question whether or not to show them this room, precisely because it has become a work space. But the original question wasn't intended to be, "Is this a good display?" It was intended to be, "Do you think it's creepy having a wall of nothing but pictures of my wife?" I think it's a great idea, but I don't want to creep out our guests, even if is in my home.
Thanks for your reply.

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 21, 2015 20:21 |  #13

I think it's sweet. It's like she's your muse and I think that's appropriate for your work area.
If you two have been together a long time, people may find it unusual that you still see her in that way (just a thought).

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 21, 2015 21:35 |  #14

Not creepy to me. I understanding wanting photos of your wife. The only thing that might be remotely creepy is the multiple shots of close ups that don't include all of the face. That's not a perspective most people are used to. It's intimate to be that close, so I could imagine somebody being uncomfortable with it.

ready ­ to ­ snap
576 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Dec 21, 2015 21:49 |  #15

To be honest at first when I saw it I thought it was more odd than creepy but then after going back and looking at it and giving it some thought I see nothing at all wrong with it. This is your wife that you love and you are proud of her. It does have a certain intimate/erotic/sexual sense to it.

sponsored links

3,552 views & 3 likes for this thread
Is this creepy? If so, why?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.