Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 27 Jan 2012 (Friday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Natural Looking HDR

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,898 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2015 15:25 |  #1816

roseyposey wrote in post #17802125 (external link)
Two virtual copies in Lightroom, two stops apart, then merged im SNS.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BGsJ​TD  (external link) IMG_2154-3-HDR(3)-2 (external link) by Rose McGillicuddy (external link), on Flickr

Yay! Someone besides me that does virtual copies and SNS-HDR. I love that technique.

Mark J.
Gear

sponsored links
roseyposey
Goldmember
4,039 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by roseyposey.

Dec 21, 2015 21:32 |  #1817

M_Six wrote in post #17827395 (external link)
Yay! Someone besides me that does virtual copies and SNS-HDR. I love that technique.

I have had negative comments for doing it, can't remember where now ..... I find it really useful when haven't been able to bracket for any reason, and later find either the lights or darks are gone. It's great for bringing up detail.

Canon EOS 70D: added a Canon M5: A mixture of Canon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina prime and zoom lenses, a Samyang fisheye, and just for fun a couple of Helios 44-2 58m..
Rose
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rose_mcgillicud​dy/ (external link)
"Dance among the moonbeams, feel the magic in the air."

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,898 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2015 21:42 |  #1818

Agreed. It's amazing how much detail it pulls out.

Mark J.
Gear

Stiga
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Gallery: 748 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Stiga.

Dec 22, 2015 04:59 as a reply to  @ post 17827384 |  #1819

You're welcome, MM. I hope you saw that alpha 3 comes with a few more goodies. I find the ability to tonemap a 32-bit HDER or EXR file which has been deghosted by other software (EasyHDR or Photomatix) very useful.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,563 posts
Gallery: 1371 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 22, 2015 18:51 |  #1820

Stiga, it's my work week (work every other week), get off, clilmb on a plane, etc.....so it will be a while before I
notice anything :(
But what I took from your comment is to work in 32 bit.
Don't know about deghosting except for when the shots were not on a tripod and aligned, something else about
it you can throw my way?

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Stiga
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Stiga.

Dec 23, 2015 06:06 as a reply to  @ MedicineMan4040's post |  #1821

MM, as a long-time HDR shooter, I would make the following comments.

1. With IS lenses and top notch image alignment algorithms now used within HDR software, a tripod is no longer essential. I never use one though I admit that theoretically my images would be better if I did. N.B. The only software that I know of that does not align images well is Machinery HDR. That's a pity as in all other respects it is excellent.

2. Deghosting moving people, vehicles or foliage has always been a challenge for those who write the software. I would put the HDR apps in this order:
(a) Photomatix has 2 methods and is undoubtedly the best.
(b) EasyHDR, nil Efex HDR and Lightroom are all good.
(c) Machinery HDR and SNS-HDR are both poor.

3. (c) above is bad news for me as SNSS-HDR is my favoured processor. It yields the truest colour IMO and I use it whenever I can.

4. All HDR apps convert your bracketed sets to 32-bit before they do any tonemapping but, as far as I am aware, only EasyHDR and Photomatix are capable of saving them

SNS-HDR 1.42 (the current full version) and SNS-HDR 2 alpha 3 - together with Photomatix and EasyHDR - will all accept 32-bit EXR or HDR amalgamations and then tonemap them.

5. So, whenever deghosting is required, this is my workflow.
(a) Deghost in Photomatix or EasyHDR and save the intermediate 32-bit image.
(b) Tonemap the 32-bit file with SNS-HDR.
(c) Save as a TIF and post process with Photoshop.

You may be interested in these tests which I have carried out in anothe place.
1. http://photocamel.com …html?highlight=​Photomatix (external link)
2. http://photocamel.com …tware-roundup-2015-a.html (external link)
3. http://photocamel.com …processor-comparison.html (external link)

Martin

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,563 posts
Gallery: 1371 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 23, 2015 06:12 as a reply to  @ Stiga's post |  #1822

^huge answer! Thanks!
Stiga I did find Oloneo Photo Engine on my hard drive.....have you ever processed via it?
I'd forgotten it was there :(

I go in spells on what area of photography interests me. For some reason the last couple of trips
and the next two coming up are birds/critters.
I'll soon enough have the desire for more HDR/tonemapping or my preferred term exposure blending :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 23, 2015 07:39 |  #1823

The use of a tripod may not be necessary due to robust alignment algorithms but if you are shooting HDR scenes with a lot of contrast you may need to wade into territory where shutter speeds go below 1/60 to 1/30 sec to expose the shadow regions properly. If you can handhold below this, even with IS, you are one steady person! Otherwise, camera shake and motion blur will show up as artifact in the merge unless the application you are using can figure out that it needs to be eliminated in deghosting, which can be hit or miss.

Nowadays, camera can shoot at ISO 800 or so pretty comfortably without much noise so you may be able to push your ISO choice to avoid having to shoot at such low shutter speeds. Some exposure tests before firing off a bracket will tell you one way or the other.

kirk

Kirk
---

Stiga
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 23, 2015 09:08 |  #1824

Kirk, it's camera twist while shooting that causes the worst alignment problems that you refer to. Slight vertical or lateral movement while shooting can be dealt with effectively with modern software. If you doubt me try shooting 3 hand-held RAWs, bring them into Photoshop via ACR, create 3 layers with one image in each, select all layers then Edit > Auto-align, save as TIFs. They should be perfectly aligned if you took then on a calm day. If it is windy, I prop myself against a building or gate post.

Re: ISO. That is entirely dependant on sensor size. Mine is 1/1.7 inch (7.6mm x 5.7mm) and noise kills resolution above about ISO200.

Martin

Stiga
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 23, 2015 09:26 |  #1825

MM, you're welcome.

Oloneo Photo Engine has fallen below the radar! It was a good app but has not been updated since 2011 - and I think that was a minor change. It generates very natural images but image alignment is awful. A tripod is essentuial

I don't have a copy but a fried does. He complains bitterly that all the other HDR apps are updated and improved regularly but his copy of Oloneo isn't.

Martin

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,873 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2015 10:04 |  #1826

This is a 5 exposure HDR image from the local RR Museum. Shot handheld on my a7rII + Batis 25/f2 lens. Ev seperation was 2 stops between each exposure.

Merged and tonemapped using SNS-HDR Pro2 then finished in PS CC 2015. The windows were very dirty as this car was sitting on a siding.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1664/23301289383_0c0cdbc237_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Bv4c​wF  (external link) All Aboard Please (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,898 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2015 10:18 |  #1827

Very nice work, Doc. Do you find the Pro version of SNS-HDR is worth the investment? Does it give you a lot of control?

Mark J.
Gear

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,873 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by navydoc.

Dec 23, 2015 10:38 |  #1828

M_Six wrote in post #17829745 (external link)
Very nice work, Doc. Do you find the Pro version of SNS-HDR is worth the investment? Does it give you a lot of control?

To be honest, I don't think I ever used the free version. This is the Pro2 Alpha 3 version of SNS-HDR and it allows me to edit my Sony raw files with it. Since I have both versions, I can save my final merged and tonemapped file to a 16bit tif for further editing in PS. I've always thought SNS-HDR gave the most realistic tonemapping of my files and was very glad to see Sebastion (Pebal is his username here) continue developing this software.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Stiga
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 23, 2015 11:01 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #1829

Mark, the 1.42 Pro version gives you permission to use your images for monetry reward and you have a batch processing facility. Otherwise it's exactly the same as the Home version..

Version 2 alpha 3 is not labelled with "Pro" or "Home"

Martin

Stiga
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 23, 2015 11:07 |  #1830

Doc, that's a superb image with great depth and clarity.

BTW, it's "2 alpha 2" - don't think we're at the beta stage yet!

Also, it's amazing that Sebastian is the only software write. SNS is a one man band and I take my hat off to him for what he has achieved.

Martin

sponsored links

560,557 views & 2,788 likes for this thread
Natural Looking HDR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.